Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Ansible is decent, and it is easy to get started with it. There are cases where it does things with ease which are essentially impossible with Puppet. For example, we use ansible to manage zero-downtime rolling restart of cloud services. This is not reasonable with Puppet because it has next-to-no ability to coordinate actions across multiple machines. To some extent, you can hack stuff up, but I have no wish to write or maintain that sort of thing when I could just use Ansible. Also, Puppet is a pain to debug. For me, the final straw was realizing that for all its vaunted declarative dependency specifications, Puppet cannot cope with having two modules that both want the same system package to be installed (there are ways to hack it, but screw that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU