Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Speaking of Docker I'd like to investigate how to use it for work but we're all Windows based and it seems to be a fairly new thing with a ton of bugs. Is there any way to create a container that either points to the following (installed locally) or contains them within the container?

IIS, SQL Server 2014+, Windows Service, .NET application, ODBC connection string, MSMQ.

Obviously our platform gets version changes and updates and installing them is kind of a poo poo show. I'd like to develop some containers for platform changes that could be deployed easier, even if its just from a development standpoint to get people spun up quicker. Are there any guides or information you guys know of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Yes for Windows. From what I have been trying out it seems very hit and miss and a lot of bugs pop up on the Windows 10 support for the new Nanoserver and such.

Our application needs all those Microsoft dependencies to run so that's where I hit a bit of a wall knowing how to even try to get this set-up. Most if not all documentation is around the OS agnostic stuff like ngnix and MySQL versus the IIS/SQL Server MS stuff.

Regarding the cloud, yes we do have Azure deployments that I would like to eventually get to big picture, but right now focusing on deploying/setting-up development environments which we can assume are all Windows 10 based.