Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

Also, you should need minimal-to-zero MSBuild fuckery to build. Proj files are msbuild files that already know how to build everything. The goal of your build system should be to get you deployable binaries. Once you have those, you're done. If you try to write release scripts in MSBuild, you will be miserable and hate life. Trust me on this.

Having cut my teeth on MSBuild poo poo at work, I'll second this. But I'm also happy to help people avoid some of the same lovely mistakes I made.

Mistake #1 for people not to repeat: do not change the default target of your csproj files just to enable some other poo poo to happen on build. Use BeforeBuild/AfterBuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Warbird posted:

Oh neat, we have a devops thread. Quick devops hot takes:
Docker - cool and good
Puppet - bane of my existence
Jenkins - cool and good
Jenkins plugins - bane of my existence

So did everyone else get thrust into the role of DevOps Engineer with no training or support, or is that just me?

I got it because I was the only one who actually tried to put that sort of stuff in place on my own time. So yeah basically. Though I am getting support more and more as I reveal what kind of a festering mess has arisen as a result of everyone doing their own thing.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

drunk mutt posted:

Putting together plans for the new architecture, let me know what y'all think:

You're missing a bus off the bottom cloud.