Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are also dedicated schema management tools which attempt to address this. I haven't used one, but one that caught my eye was Flyway. The gist is that you dump some baseline content set or schema as "REV 001" and then store all schema/content changes (it's important that it be all changes) as additional revisions. By walking through the set of revisions you end up with whatever state the program expects. This can be done as part of a Maven build script or whatever.

Flyway is great. I used it when it was a bit more minimal, and we had to write a handful of bash scripts around it, but the effort is minimal. Now it looks like there is all kinds of build tool support.

It's probably obvious but worth mentioning explicitly: Even with such a schema management tool, you're going to need to make sure your database schema is backwards compatible with at least one version of your application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU