Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
We're a C#/ASP.NET/SQL shop that builds both an enterprise-level website and a related desktop application. When I first got here, it was all CruiseControl.NET driving MSBuild from TFS. At some point, my bosses were like, "Hey let's go full Microsoft!" and so I ported the build syetem to use TeamBuild 2010 in ways that Microsoft probably wasn't intending for that release. Needless to say, I've become quite practiced at customizing these drat .xaml workflow templates and doing eldritch things with build definitions.

We've also gone through about four different methods for managing our configurations, including

• Hardcoding it into the build workflows (driven by environment-specific values coming from external .xml files), meaning environment-specific configuration happened at build time, but the build finishes with a build deployable on all targeted environments -- BAD!
  • Writing our own tool to perform xpathreplace-based configuration post-build. This meant we could configure for an environment we didn't anticipate when we ran the build. -- Slightly less BAD!
  • Just checking all the config files for all the environments right into TFS. - Less bad, but maintenance heavy.
  • Web/app.config transforms -- Our next step, only small portions of the application have been modified to use this technique, but it seems pretty flexible and cuts down on config maintenance.

Meanwhile, another group has spun off here that is going full Java/node.js/Mongo/Rabbit, etc. They're using TeamCity and Gitlab and having just an awful time of it.

I kind of miss doing actual dev, but being "the build guy" is kind of a nice thing to have on my resume. Just wish TeamBuild was in more demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ithaqua posted:

Team build is getting a full rewrite in 2015 that will be much less awful. Check Chris Patterson's blog on MSDN.

We've canceled on the TFS 2013+ upgrade since our .NET application has been transitioned into "maintenance mode." Whatever the hell that means. We're still doing active development on it, but I guess the bigwigs decided not to sign off on the costs of the upgrade. So I'm stuck with TFS 2010 and the attendant Team Build.

Like I said, we're moving away from a model where the build drives the config. Basically at the end of the process, the binaries are there and the configs for all environments are available for the actual deployment process. Not that the deployment process to any of our formal environments is at all automated, but that's outside my purview at the present time.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

The other big challenge is to get people to start using feature flags and short-lived dev branches so you can ship your code even if a feature is half-completed. The killer is usually database stuff -- it's hard to get into the mindset of never (rarely) introducing breaking database schema changes.

Do you work at my office? We've been revamping our CI/CD scheme over the last six months, migrating from many long-lived "feature" branches to one trunk branch + feature flags, and the pushback has been incredible, particularly with database stuff.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

The Fool posted:

help I'm seriously thinking about writing a service discovery tool

Post username combo