Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I keep being sent to assignments were all the build agents are running on the same server. Still that pisses me off less then when I learned that were I just was; all the heavy CAD drawing generation stuff was running on the same physical server for all environments.

Friggin computers how do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

12 rats tied together posted:

the question at the heart of devops is "what if we didn't have to do all that stupid bullshit?" which serves the dual function of highlighting all of the stupid bullshit as well as making enemies of people whose entire career is doing stupid bullshit

Maybe not the right thread but it hope it fits: we have another team managing a ES cluster we use for regular logging stuff and real user metrics. They started with just the one, but now they have setup a test cluster for their testing and a pre cluster that “is a prod environment for your non prod environments” and they want us to just have our prod environment logging &c to the prod cluster.

I am flat out refusing, that means 100% more work for us. Not just maintaining reports and dashboards, but also just uuugh. I’m pretty sure Support/Application Management barely knows this stuff exists and me and the rest of our team use it for like 80% test stuff and only ever check the prod data if some issue is escalated all the way to us.

Also it’s not like we treat all environments equal, we purge test indexes much faster.

Am I crazy? Isn’t this just useless?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

my homie dhall posted:

It sounds like what you're asking is if your infrastructure team should have N > 1 instances of critical infrastructure, which to me seems in your best interest. In doing so, they should be taking steps to make sure this transition is as transparent as possible, meaning they should be providing a way for you to replicate and update whatever existing tooling you have across any new instances they decide to bring up.

It’s an elastic search [bold]cluster[/bold], we might have selected to use something like Application Insights or one of the dozens managed ES providers that exist, and if we did we wouldn’t use pre-azure.com or pre-aws.com for our non prod environments.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Cheston posted:

How do I handle non-idempotent e2e tests? I.E. how do I make an end-to-end test for a site's invite code flow work both in dev and in production? I need a valid invite code in the database to run the test, and I need to actually consume that code to finish the test. Locally I can just reset postgres between runs, but I can't do that in production. Do I make an API for the e2e test to hit to make sure the right data is populated? I don't have a lot of backend experience and I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

**this is serverless nextjs (vercel), the backend is supabase (managed postgres). there's currently no staging environment, just dev and prod.

Ideally you want your tests to behave like your users as much as possible. But if the invite code is sent by text or email I would try to avoid that. Having a special API that is protected somehow would be one way of doing it, probably what I would do if I wanted to automate that process. But since that test being green doesn’t really show you that actual people can accept invites and register then maybe it’s not a good test?

What type of invites codes are they? If they come from another user to send to a friend you should be able to get them by acting as a real user and then using them in another clean context. If they are more like verifying email is correct then maybe just leave it to manual testing unless you want to automate email access also. If your not checking that those emails get sent out then you can’t be sure that everything works. But it all depends on what you are trying to do of course