Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
I'm trying to switch my team to Atlassian Stash (enterprise Bitbucket), since we already license other Atlassian products like JIRA and Confluence.

We currently use SVN and everyone commits directly to trunk. It feels like going back in time to the Stone Age. I keep asking my supervisor how I can send him a pull request so he can review my code before it goes into the mainline branch. He has no idea. However, he does want to start using SonarQube for code review. Baby steps, he tells me.

I'm hoping that perhaps we can use some of the tips here:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/01/atlassian-svn-to-git-migration-technical-side/

I feel like proper code quality and CI is an insurmountable task until we switch to a pull request based workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

If anything, DevOps could be someone's part-time role reviewing Pull Requests to your infrastructure automation scripts.

Everyone should be encouraged to contribute. If the deploy fails due to someone loving up the Ansible playbook, blue/green rollout and integration tests should cover it.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Try working in finance and insurance. Heroku, JIRA, and BitBucket were all banned until recently.

At my job Heroku is still banned. JIRA is hosted on premise so it's fine. BitBucket is marketed as a fork called Atlassian Stash if it's hosted on premise.