Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

Terraform would be the quickest return on investment.

Containers/docker/k8s would be a good career boost but will take you longer to get going

What's the overall ramp time you think for someone going from zero to component for these? A few months? Six months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Let me rephrase that slightly, I didn't mean to intend it would be someone who's never worked with a computer but with studying part time about 10-25 hours a week how long would it take until you've gone from hobbyist to actually employable? Or am I overthinking this?

Edit - I think I am overthinking this quite a bit.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 28, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

I have no idea how. I’m at an F1000 (maybe F500?) doing consulting and they’re closing in on (edit: i meant seven) figures a month in spend from a couple thousand a year and a half ago and we’re like 1/10th of the way through their ‘cloud transformation’ . They have the highest tier support, a designated support engineer, constantly pay for Azure Rapid Response and it’s always an absolute poo poo show dealing with Microsoft. The TAMs and everyone else have no idea what they’re talking about at any point, the designated support engineer is worthless, and absolutely no one knows what they’re talking about even if you get in touch with Product Groups. It’s been so bad they’re cancelling most the support and knocking it down a tier ASAP because unless it is blatantly obvious it’s a platform issue there is no point engaging MS on anything.

Did they try escalating their issues with their TAM or whatever they call that position now?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

I use azure devops

:same:

Dumb question but serious is there anything that Jekins does better or does something that ADO can't do?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

Jenkins isnt an MS product

Yes, it isn't? I am out of the loop but my experience with Jenkins has been how in the hell is this so goddamn complicated?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

:lol:

When you are making a connection to Azure you are essentially creating an Enterprise Application or an object that represents an application. The thing is that it is basically no different than anything else because it's well an application.

The whole Tenant / Azure AD / Office 365 thing is absolutely confusing but essentially think of it was a sub-domain under *.onmicrosoft.com. If you registered contoso.onmicrosoft.com you have full control over that and that is your directory.

I agree on the rest of your points.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, re: OSS-ish companies trying to make money chat.

The elephant in the room is that most of these companies are essentially all competing against hyper scalers that basically print money and capture markets via rent mechanisms, and if they are screwed on their stock for whatever reason they potentially become takeover targets that destroy these OSS ecosystems permanently. See what happened to Puppetlabs, Chef, Saltstack, and even Docker for all these projects-turned-companies that just can't seem to stay stable and force industry trends. In fact, one of the few stable-ish for 8+ years projects in this space now is Kubernetes, which is basically subsidized by the massive profit margins of rent-seeking type companies and also fuels Peter Thiel's assertions in support of monopolies for tech, which is sadly becoming more and more true than I'd like it to be. To put it another way, K8s has been basically on top for longer than Puppet and Chef ever even existed possibly, which is kind of a scary thought and also reminds me way too much of how old I'm getting and just makes me depressed.

Of the various OSS projects that are still hobbling along and doing solid technical work without an encumbrance of tons of corporate fiefdom-seeking measures off the top of my head there's the Linux kernel and Postgres. Everything else is basically a ward of a hyperscaler, absolute dickwad of a corporation, or a desperately fighting for survival formerly Apache-licensed company (MongoDB, Hashicorp, Elastic, etc.).

What do you mean by hyperscalers? What's Thiel's support for tech company monopolies?

jaegerx posted:

Hashicorp. Trust me. They’re worse.

E: I interviewed there. First off they wanted someone in pst and I said I love working those hours so I’m good. They interviewed a bunch of other people and came back to me. Then they wanted me to list the reasons I left all my other jobs. None of your loving business. Then quiet for 2 weeks until I get a email asking me salary requirements. At that point I just told them to gently caress off.

I could see something like someone applying for a senior executive at a bank or something getting asked why he left their lost job for but typical engineers? That's really weird.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

re: hashicorp, I just got out of a meeting where I got to yell at the azurerm product manager for lack of qa

Keep yelling. You have my support.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

His idea is that innovation centers like Xerox PARC and similar are a result of wildly profitable companies having the luxury and lack of competition to invest in long term R&D instead of trying hard to make quarterly numbers constantly. It’s not 100% wrong but there’s a lot of horrible, dire implications for humanity with every variable that supports the argument.

Gotcha, this kind of makes sense. Microsoft Research is kind of interesting example of this too.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

As an average DevOps person, I'd say that knowing how to code a few hundred lines with PowerShell, Bash, Python, etc. is pretty much a requirement at this point.

I do wonder what the future holds for this kind of role.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone here worked with Azure Functions and Cosmos DB? I don't know if I finally losing it but I find the concept or at least the ability to implement a binding freaking impossible. All I am trying to do is simply have my function app with a HTTP Trigger query a single row (or document or whatever Cosmos DB calls it) and increase it's value. For whatever reason, the current tutorials no longer work and I don't get how am I supposed to decipher their documentation. Where does the code go exactly? How do I interrupt the below article? Or is it because I am not a dev and don't know enough C#? :smith:

Azure Cosmos DB trigger and bindings

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How do I apply and interview for multiple jobs at once? Eventually, I am going to get lucky but do I just drop out of the interview process for everything else?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It feels so dirty.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks y'all :glomp:

Edit - Holy crap, I thought I was posting in a different thread. My bad. :lol:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zephirus posted:

Every time i've anything more than 'put object' to cosmosdb in functions I've created a cosmosclient using the sdk rather than using bindings. I'm not sure how much overhead this adds if you're doing something like durable functions but it's easier to me than messing with extra inbound and outbound bindings.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/nosql/quickstart-dotnet?pivots=devcontainer-codespace#authenticate-the-client

This is actually kind of good and helpful but I am working with Azure Cosmos DB Table not NoSQL... but I might just switch to this but I'm no developer so I'm sort of driving blind.

Junkiebev posted:

Should you not use a bus of some sort for this? Distributed writes make me nervous in any “eventually-consistent” datastore.

What's a bus and why would I want to use one?

Essentially, I have no idea what I am doing other than I'm going through an exercise to make my own Web API with an Azure Function app. What I am trying to make is my own React Web App and possibly use Cosmos DB as a backend if I'm able. Long term, I'm actually trying to make a fitness application and I know enough where I know I need to make the whole API so when users click on a button like checking into the gym, etc. it writes it into the program's database, etc.

Does that make sense?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Didn't IBMs buyout of Red Hat not work out that well? Maybe people will go back to using Azure Bicep :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

They basically treat their acquisitions the same as a private equity firm, vulture capitalism

https://www.crn.com/news/virtualization/2024/broadcom-tells-partner-negotiating-for-charity-vmware-is-not-for-everybody

madmatt112 posted:

That is some evil bullshit, yikes.

From the interview with the Scale CEO Jeff Ready,

quote:

The strategy is working, though, right? Broadcom is doing better than it ever has been.

The strategy does work from a financial standpoint. The company’s strategy. But they are not technologists. The reason I got into tech was not to seek profit harvesting. It was so you could create something. You could solve problems. And you could solve problems for other people and 100 percent, that is what VMware started out as.

quote:

What are they missing? What is the big picture that Broadcom is not seeing?

It depends on your long-term strategy. This profit harvesting thing. This is something you apply to mature businesses. Which means they’re not innovating for the future. They’re not trying to see what they can do with the technology. They think virtualization is in a sunset phase. They’re going to milk it.