Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

flarp22 posted:

Regardless of all of that, however, and we still have the fact that he still feels...completely unnecessary. Honestly, in terms of what he actually does, I feel as if Eggman could have filled his role just fine without any of the time travel or talk of the Ancients. For some reason, we instead get Lyric, who also kind of feels...out of place, being intended to be a more serious and menacing villain in a game where literally every other character is written to try and get laughs out of the player. Except maybe Shadow, who is just :psyduck: . I can't explain anything about him other than how shoehorned in he is.

Oh, agreed. It's where whatever weening back on the story they did really just hampers the whole thing. They could have changed Lyric's plan to anything with how open ended revenge can be, and yet literally defaulted on Eggman's schtick. That's just freaking lazy, especially when this is supposed to be a new story and we haven't even had Eggman properly established.

Plus, well, I really doubt he's ever gonna appear in the show. Which, as currently the main focus of Sonic Boom, so fsr renders Lyric's existence entirely pointless. You can pretend he and his games don't exist and it would literally change nothing about the rest of the sub-franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Why does Lyric call them the Ancients? When back in time shouldn't they be the Currents or something?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Lyric and his thousand-year-old machines speak modern English, the writers of this game really didn't put any thought into it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Chaltab posted:

Lyric and his thousand-year-old machines speak modern English, the writers of this game really didn't put any thought into it.

To be fair if you're going to do something like that it is probably best to just have it transition to modern english so your audience doesn't get lost.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Let me tell you, I forgot just how much is wrong with the gameplay of this video. I remembered the big thing that happens within the first five minutes, but uh...I'm going to put a little warning that you might want to be careful around the 11:30 mark in the video if you easily get motion sickness.

Episode 7: Two Hours

This here marks the end of the first recording session. I'm going to aim to get the second one done tomorrow.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Nobody who made this game seems to have put any thought anywhere.

I don't know if this game or Sonic 2006 is worse, but I don't understand what this game was going for. With Sonic 2006, even though it's terrible, I could still see what they were going for. Not so much with this game. It looks like it's sewn together with different ideas that doesn't fit.

The game breaking by itself was just golden. You didn't do anything special, it's like the game rolls a dice to determine whether or not it's going to break.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Unfortunately for you guys, Tails does say the trash compactor line.

Fortunately, its still a useless line that only serves to try and have the player make use of a scenery piece that they don't even need and, frankly, just looks like a bit of background otherwise.

But holy poo poo this game is even more broken than I already seen. In any other game, I might think the occasional stage loading glitch might be acceptable, but with everything else the game screws up, even in the same video, its harder to be lenient about it.

Also the cutscene towards the end of the video is what I earlier referred to about Lyric's line of Sonic being 'so predictable' makes no sense. Since in addition to the total lack of transition (outside of a vague reference to the palm print reader) to how Lyric was ever imprisoned, he originally mentioned how Sonic was 'still so predictable'. As if somehow they had ever faced off to the extent that Sonic got to be predictable. They literally tussled for a minute offscreen. Unless Sonic did nothing but spin charge dash (which admittedly is actually viable for this game's combat), then Lyric knows jack and poo poo about the hedgehog fights, nevermind who he even is.

This game wants Lyric to be so important so badly but it just sucks at making him so.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Uh, Tails? You okay there, man? Careful with that whiplash, dude.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

drkeiscool posted:

Uh, Tails? You okay there, man? Careful with that whiplash, dude.

Oh god I didn't even see that. Who edited these cutscenes? Seriously.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
(Un?)Fortunately, we might not be getting as many of these broken moments from this point forward, since I discovered that the patch auto-downloaded onto my Wii U at some point. I don't expect the game to be redeemed by it, but things will become a bit more tolerable, since one of the big things they fixed was the navigation arrows. At the very least our sense of direction will improve!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What this game overwhelmingly reminds me of is the licensed platformers that got released for everything and anything in GC/PS2 era (back when 3D platformers were still the "in" genre). You could point out the shoddiness of the construction and design if you looked closely at them but mostly they were just too uninspiring to warrant it. And I guess it IS a licensed game, of the Boom franchise. But things get weird with how little the game and cartoon relate to each other, so the thing that it's meant to promote doesn't really exist and :psyduck:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
That fight with Lyric is very dissapointing if you consider that in the beginning of the game he acted like Sonic had a larger fight with him than what was eventually shown. It would make sense if Lyric fought Sonic on multiple occasions in the past and knew that his first move would always be the spin dash. But no, It's just a single spin dash in a single fight.
On a not about bugs I was watching another playthrough of this game by a different group who was using the knuckles infinite jump for alot of stuff and one of the problems they ran into was that on a couple occasions the buttons on the floor would not register that the player was hitting them. They spent somewhere around 5 minutes in that room trying everything they can to hit the button and it just wasn't activating. One other thing to watch for is those ring objects that are used to pull other things out of walls and such may not always work upon first encounter. For some strange reason certain flags have to be set to get those things to activate.
One example being in an area you guys have already been through. There was a spot where you use those things to pull down tubing to travel. In the other playthrough the players used the knuckles jump to get to where the you would pull the pipe from but found that the enerbeam wouldn't react to them like it was supposed to because they missed a button on the lower level that activates the first set of tubing. Once that was done they were able to use the pull rings. So if you run into that problem further in you may have to look around to see what was missed if the game didn't decide to break on you right then.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

Nobody who made this game seems to have put any thought anywhere.

I don't know if this game or Sonic 2006 is worse, but I don't understand what this game was going for. With Sonic 2006, even though it's terrible, I could still see what they were going for. Not so much with this game. It looks like it's sewn together with different ideas that doesn't fit.

The game breaking by itself was just golden. You didn't do anything special, it's like the game rolls a dice to determine whether or not it's going to break.
It's an interesting compare and contrast situation. 2006 is more outright broken. The glitches are constant, some mechanics like the Machspeed levels outright do not work. It also has the entire Princess Elise subplot, which is just outright laughable. It feels like Sonic characters intruded into a JRPG world. But both the gonzo story and the constant glitches are kind of hilarious in their own right, while the gameplay itself is a case of huge ambition cut short to meet a deadline. There's a lot of variety in the gameplay, but the shoddy controls and bugs make success or failure a crapshoot.

Sonic Boom on the other hand, has a boring-rear end rote story that still manages to be full of logic holes, and the cast interacts with weird Mobian muppets that somehow look more out of place than the humans of Soleanna. The mechanics are all functional but the game is still full of glitches and technical issues, with the bonus that it's badly optimized and performs even worse during co-op despite having lower res textures and completely turning off the lighting engine. (Seriously, it doesn't look GOOD in single player, but just compare a few areas turning Co-op on and off.) But despite all that it's biggest sin is the gameplay, which is functional but incredibly boring. It's slow, repetitive, and holds your hand like it expects the player to be 5 years old. There's a great core idea there in having co-op with Sonic and his friends, in making Amy useful and not so clingy, but it seems like they ran out of ideas in the first week and decided to just repeat the few they had until they had a game long enough that they thought they could get away with a $60 price tag.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The big update added some sort of shadows in the game. What is stopping them from doing more?

Some Wild Arms games have unlockable features behind plot advancement that most games have. You need to solve puzzles to get more detail on your characters or party, or a toggle to skip long animations. Chrono Cross has double time after you beat the game. FFXII International starts with double time. What makes designers forget about simple advancements?

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Chaltab posted:

It's an interesting compare and contrast situation. 2006 is more outright broken. The glitches are constant, some mechanics like the Machspeed levels outright do not work. It also has the entire Princess Elise subplot, which is just outright laughable. It feels like Sonic characters intruded into a JRPG world. But both the gonzo story and the constant glitches are kind of hilarious in their own right, while the gameplay itself is a case of huge ambition cut short to meet a deadline. There's a lot of variety in the gameplay, but the shoddy controls and bugs make success or failure a crapshoot.

Sonic Boom on the other hand, has a boring-rear end rote story that still manages to be full of logic holes, and the cast interacts with weird Mobian muppets that somehow look more out of place than the humans of Soleanna. The mechanics are all functional but the game is still full of glitches and technical issues, with the bonus that it's badly optimized and performs even worse during co-op despite having lower res textures and completely turning off the lighting engine. (Seriously, it doesn't look GOOD in single player, but just compare a few areas turning Co-op on and off.) But despite all that it's biggest sin is the gameplay, which is functional but incredibly boring. It's slow, repetitive, and holds your hand like it expects the player to be 5 years old. There's a great core idea there in having co-op with Sonic and his friends, in making Amy useful and not so clingy, but it seems like they ran out of ideas in the first week and decided to just repeat the few they had until they had a game long enough that they thought they could get away with a $60 price tag.

It's more or less for this exact reason that I personally feel Sonic 06 has the dubious honor of being more enjoyable to go through than Sonic Boom. For me, the key is having fun. The fun I'm having playing Sonic Boom is being able to riff on the game with a friend; if I were playing single player, I would have lasted maybe half an hour before switching to another game because of how boring the gameplay is. Sonic 06 managed to keep my attention throughout the whole game by being less functional and getting more laughs out of me due to absurd story and even more absurd glitches. Hell, as was mentioned in the first video, I even managed to rope Steven and two or three other friends into playing Sonic 06 from start to finish. Sonic 06 was an experience I would be okay with repeating. In contrast, Sonic Boom is getting wiped from my Wii U in its entirety as soon as I'm done with the LP. I already know I will have no desire to play the game a second time with or without a co-op partner.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
The patch didn't make anything better. :shepicide:

Episode 8: New Patch, New Problems

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Is the teleporting really a bug? I get the impression that it's a low effort fix to problems that may arise if players get too far from each other rather than something unintended.

Anyway, one thing that annoys me about this game is how the game differentiates the characters from each other. They are the most different during combat. There are however some problems with that. First off, there's no balance, Tails is flat out better than everyone else. That ruins the idea of playing the character who's play-style you prefer and trying out different characters for sake of variation. You want to use Tails as often as you can. Second, even if the characters were balanced, you only spend a minority of time in combat.

When it comes to platforming, you don't really have different characters. What you have is the blue, orange, pink and red key-cards. Ramps are the blue doors, updrafts yellow doors and so on. There is no play-style whatsoever. Do you prefer the fastest character? Doesn't matter, there is no such thing. Do you want to fly? There is one that sort of can do it, but there's no point in flying unless you absolutely have to and no joy in it either. Want to play the big strong guy? You guessed it, the strength will not have any effect unless it's mandated.

This game gives you four characters, but there's no point to it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Maybe the beaver is meant to be French Canadian.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I'm leaning on bug - or something they forgot to consider when programming in the co-op. Like, single player, with a party of four? That's enough people to potentially lose if say, something glitches (insert obvious joke here) and since as you say, they're basically walking keys, that could be a rather big problem on progression. There's a reason such a mechanic is employed in any game with vast scale (which, even as mundane a game this is, it definitely attempts). The the thing is that it just continues to act as if the other player is a wandering co-op NPC and so tugs them back without warning, rather than say, a player that's deliberately gone exploring.

Also, my guess on the whole 'never fought robots over there thing' - likely truncated from whatever they had planned. I mean, there's evidence of cut missions and/or characters in the game's audio files, so I wouldn't be surprised if say, they had planned for multiple missions with each quest NPC which they had to slash to just one, and then either forgot or weren't able to edit the dialogue to fit.

Also: Kudos for looking up the info from outside the game, apologies for having to make you check for it. I'm actually kinda flabbergasted with the game for it. Like, I get Sonic has had a mild environmentalist theme since the early days, but frankly Captain Planet would have had a more nuanced villain. But nope, big bad Lyric completely ruin the clean energy, peaceful utopia that the Ancients had built for tampering with poo poo for his own reasons, and then blaming somebody else for giving himself cancer. Brilliant.

And uh, holy crap, I don't think I've ever seen that bit of the game before, from the dynamite onwards. Did they seriously dedicate that many resources to an optional section that gives you, what, a single crown?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

And uh, holy crap, I don't think I've ever seen that bit of the game before, from the dynamite onwards. Did they seriously dedicate that many resources to an optional section that gives you, what, a single crown?
More likely they made the speed section to lead to something that they had to cut from the game and re-purposed it to go to a crown when the big change of plans went down.

Also it occurs to me, with all apologies to Chris-chan, I actually like Sonic having blue arms. Having naked arms always made it seem like he was wearing a trashy sleeveless vest or something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The speed section has a couple paths that diverge from the main path, but the side areas are probably death, even if it has NPCs breaking things apart. There were multiple crowns on that path.

A chef that can't cook is a Sous Chef.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Today, I'd like to pose to you all a simple question.

Episode 9: Why is Knuckles Driving?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I had to.

I just don't want to spoil things

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2015

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

That is actually a funny joke.

Also here is a video that sums up the Sonic franchise since forever.

The Hedgehog Who Leapt For A Spring

Turbobot
Feb 1, 2015
Hello folks, I am Steven, Flarp22's co-op companion in the video. Just wanted to introduce myself so you guys would know who I am if I message in the future.

More to the point, I just wanted to enunciate how much little effort they put in to include the second player in some of these sections, like the boat section. They do not even bother to explain when the second player’s missiles are coming from or who is shooting them, it feels very lazy on their part.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I think one of the things that would improve this game is the ability to turn off all the banter. This game has tendency to never shut the heck up and it keeps telling me everything is awesome and it can get annoying.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 12, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The game is so desperate to try to convince you you're having fun the characters have to constantly say how great and amazing and awesome everything is. It's rare to see a game fail to "show, don't tell."

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The really sad thing is that I could have sworn that a Sonic game had done the casual dialogue thing better, and I realized it was loving Sonic Heroes. :negative:

Turbobot
Feb 1, 2015
The fact that one of Tails's repeatable lines during a speed section is "SPEEED!", I think that shows the creativity that Big Red Button had for their dialog.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It seems like every cutscene has the characters a foot too far from where they are supposed to be.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

You know, if you didn't, I probably would have.

ManlyGrunting posted:

The really sad thing is that I could have sworn that a Sonic game had done the casual dialogue thing better, and I realized it was loving Sonic Heroes. :negative:

I actually liked Heroes for the most part, though Team Chaotix could gently caress off for all I cared, because SOME MISSIONS were incredibly infuriating with them. We got "What I'm Made Of" out of it and I liked the whole direction the gameplay took. Again, discounting Chaotix.

...You know, now that I think about it, you could probably argue that Sonic Heroes is a "more competent" Rise of Lyric. I've started to draw a few more parallels and in almost every category Sonic Heroes beats out Rise of Lyric.

ParTwo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 12, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ManlyGrunting posted:

Look at all those Eggman's robots!

As a Sonic Heroes apologist I agree entirely. The barks in Heroes were charmingly bad instead of rapid fire insufferable.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Episode 10: Alaskan Drill Worm

I have no witty commentary for this video. There's a boss fight in it, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's okay, the characters give so much witty commentary!

Also that boss battle didn't look bad for once, but holy poo poo that entire level sure did.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The worm is also from the initial trailer, and I think has had a few tweaks to its design.

Not enough to be really interesting though. The 'use enerbeams to throw stuff into the boss' idea just doesn't differentiate from normal battles by much, and kinda underscores any attempt at scale that they're going for. Also yes, the way you beat it is rather dumb when you consider how it fights back.

Though the enerbeams themselves are confusing, now that I think about it. Like, they're reverse engineered out of one of Lyric's devices, but I have no clue how or why he was holding it. Like, it was part of some sphere, but the sphere itself is kind of a plot hole...?
I dunno, the Ancients are kinda poo poo at security anyway, thinking about it. Why the hell would they leave an open button on the tomb containing the bad guy?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't get the level design. You have hot spikes not touching anything hot, but breaks rocks that do not get lodged in gears ,and bore worms.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Episode 11: Shiny Objects

We finally meet Sticks here! She's completely inconsequential to everything!

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One thing I'd like to mention for the speed sections is that is it entirely possible to take them slow. In the unpatched version of the game you would even get a few interesting side effects. One such side effect that I saw was that the sonic character would actually turn around and sorta moonwalk if he wasn't being controlled by the player. Another somewhat interesting effect comes up when you approach objects you are supposed to avoid. If you slowly walk up to them the other characters would immediately shift lanes to the safe one so fast that it would appear as if they teleported to the safe lane instead of walking to it like the player would be able to.
I don't know if the side effects of going slow on a speed section have been patched out or not but I found it interesting at least.
There are a couple speed sections where the game won't let you take it slowly and I think one is coming up pretty soon.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know, I just saw a thumbnail image in the related videos and it made me realize that if you look at Lyric dead-on he looks exactly like the Grinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

And this is where you can basically confirm that the different teams behind the two games and and the show were not talking to each other, at all. Or even within themselves, in this case.

Because in order:
You arrive on the island, Amy remarks with surprise and unfamiliarity
The Mayor (who is voiced by Mike Polluck, aka Eggman) instantly knows who they are, and Knuckles acts as if he knows the guy
Sticks, a main character in the show who can speak perfectly fine, if a little crazy, is a crazed hoarder who doesn't know the group
The group lives here in the show

Its also from here on out that even my rather sad efforts to try and understand the design decisions and potential ideas involved just start to break down.

• Locked thread