Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Crain posted:

If you've read the book, Eastwood/the producers actually toned down the Jingoism. The move presents a side of Kyle that is totally absent from his own Autobiography and focuses on it entirely (the PTSD). Funny thing: No mention of PTSD exists in his book. It's not mentioned by name, alluded to, nor is it's (potential) effect on Kyle mentioned. On the opposite side Kyle spends an absurd amount of time talking about the many physical injuries he suffered in Iraq.

I'm going to do a larger write up because I've been waiting for a place to talk about this (that isn't reddit, where any in depth analysis is met with "lol it was a good movie shut up"). There are a number a major changes made between the book and the movie that end up presenting an entirely different person than who Kyle himself said he was. I know that the man was probably a habitual liar, but his own version of his life still matters when it comes to the way the public ends up perceiving him.

I've read the book but not seen the movie and am highly interested in your write up. I am surprised from what I hear everyone saying about the movie because Kyle comes off as a blowhard/psycho in his book and it seems something is lost in translation. Someone asked about the book and I described it as " Ricky Bobby and Seth Rogen from Observe and report put into a red white and blue blender"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
This movie sounds like it could have been great if it actually depicted Chris Kyle as a maniac rather than hanging from his nuts. I haven't seen it yet, but from what I gather that's how it plays out...

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mugrim posted:

I've read the book but not seen the movie and am highly interested in your write up. I am surprised from what I hear everyone saying about the movie because Kyle comes off as a blowhard/psycho in his book and it seems something is lost in translation. Someone asked about the book and I described it as " Ricky Bobby and Seth Rogen from Observe and report put into a red white and blue blender"

It comes over as exactly that, except it's played 100% straight and never shows why this is wrong.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Abu Dave posted:

There's a scene where they try to humanize Mustafa (another line in very racist terms this movie uses) by showing he had a wife and daughter but this comes after you see that the wife is responsible for "ratting out" the location of troops. It's just really really gross. Like I had no knowledge going in about the movie when i first saw it, so I thought the first scene was setting him up as a child murderer. Then the "because I love america" poo poo came in and welp.

Why is Mustafa racist? I googled around and it just seems like a super popular name? Not fighting it just don't understand.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

xzoto1 posted:

This movie sounds like it could have been great if it actually depicted Chris Kyle as a maniac rather than hanging from his nuts. I haven't seen it yet, but from what I gather that's how it plays out...

Exactly. If they'd leaned into it hard and had him, like, finding WMD's and killing carjacking thugs and poo poo it would have been something at least.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A movie about a dude with such bad PTSD that it turns him into an insane person that actually shows sympathy towards a veteran instead of using them as martyrs for the red white and blue would be pretty interesting and probably really reviled.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bows1 posted:

Why is Mustafa racist? I googled around and it just seems like a super popular name? Not fighting it just don't understand.

If I recall correctly it wasnt even his name, just a name they gave him, like calling a spaniard "Pedro". I'm probably wrong though.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Abu Dave posted:

If I recall correctly it wasnt even his name, just a name they gave him, like calling a spaniard "Pedro". I'm probably wrong though.

You are. Mustafa the Syrian Olympic sniper did/does not exist. He was manufactured from a single line in the book. It is like naming a fictional character John. Lazy? Sure. Racist? Not really.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

weekly font posted:

A movie about a dude with such bad PTSD that it turns him into an insane person that actually shows sympathy towards a veteran instead of using them as martyrs for the red white and blue would be pretty interesting and probably really reviled.

Hrmm. I think you might like this then.

I know its Buzzfeed, but its about Nicholas Walker, an Army Medic who ended up being completely broken after returning from Iraq. To put in perspective, he scored 101 (out of 120, I think). To be Diagnosed with PTSD you need 65.

Pretty much his formative adult years were in combat missions in Iraq and that made him incapable of functioning in normal society after.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
The Gyllenhall/Tobey McGuire movie kind of hit on that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Anyone have some excerpts from the book that showcase the insane jingoism/racism I hear it has?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

From the kind of buzz this movie was getting, I was expecting something a hell of a lot different.

Rogen is right, this is the American 2015 version of Nation's Pride, completely appalling on every level. The only honest thing that Kyle ever did was get gunned down by a PTSD victim, and instead of dealing with that, the film focuses on gloss, lies, omission and racism.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LesterGroans posted:

Exactly. If they'd leaned into it hard and had him, like, finding WMD's and killing carjacking thugs and poo poo it would have been something at least.

Maybe they should've had the movie spiral off into fantasy as Kyle single-handedly brings the middle east to its knees, finds all sorts of nuclear and biological weapons, kills other dictators, gives children footballs, discovers that all liberals share the "homo" gene (he'd be in a labcoat in this scene) and be carried off to heaven by a weeping eagle.

Then the twist: it's the death hallucination of a homeless veteran, ruined by trauma and ignored by his government, dying in the street from exposure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sinnlos posted:

You are. Mustafa the Syrian Olympic sniper did/does not exist. He was manufactured from a single line in the book. It is like naming a fictional character John. Lazy? Sure. Racist? Not really.

Reminds me of Sunglasses in Black Hawk Down. Though there the book and movie is explicit that he's an unknown second in command guy that wears shades and is all over the place and efficient which is why he was noticed at all in the chaos of the situation.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zerilan posted:

Anyone have some excerpts from the book that showcase the insane jingoism/racism I hear it has?

Working on it. But here's one from the end of the book that really illustrates Kyle's stance:

quote:

I don’t spend a lot of time philosophizing about killing people. I have a clear conscience about my role in the war. I am a strong Christian. Not a perfect one—not close. But I strongly believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible. When I die, God is going to hold me accountable for everything I’ve done on earth.

He may hold me back until last and run everybody else through the line, because it will take so long to go over all my sins. “Mr. Kyle, let’s go into the backroom. . . .” Honestly, I don’t know what will really happen on Judgment Day. But what I lean toward is that you know all of your sins, and God knows them all, and shame comes over you at the reality that He knows. I believe the fact that I’ve accepted Jesus as my savior will be my salvation. But in that backroom or whatever it is when God confronts me with my sins, I do not believe any of the kills I had during the war will be among them. Everyone I shot was evil. I had good cause on every shot. They all deserved to die.

My regrets are about the people I couldn’t save—Marines, soldiers, my buddies.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We never knew in the first place why we went to Iraq. The whole affair was a fraudulent waste of life that's accomplished nothing but destabilization.

And Uday's plastic shredding machine is now on display for the public, too. That is also a change.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Somebody posted these in D&D a while ago:

To continue the quote, "dude iswas insane".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"I had the time of my life."

Jesus.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Crain posted:

Working on it. But here's one from the end of the book that really illustrates Kyle's stance:

quote:

I don’t spend a lot of time philosophizing about killing people. I have a clear conscience about my role in the war. I am a strong Christian. Not a perfect one—not close. But I strongly believe in God, Jesus, and the Bible. When I die, God is going to hold me accountable for everything I’ve done on earth.

He may hold me back until last and run everybody else through the line, because it will take so long to go over all my sins. “Mr. Kyle, let’s go into the backroom. . . .” Honestly, I don’t know what will really happen on Judgment Day. But what I lean toward is that you know all of your sins, and God knows them all, and shame comes over you at the reality that He knows. I believe the fact that I’ve accepted Jesus as my savior will be my salvation. But in that backroom or whatever it is when God confronts me with my sins, I do not believe any of the kills I had during the war will be among them. Everyone I shot was evil. I had good cause on every shot. They all deserved to die.

My regrets are about the people I couldn’t save—Marines, soldiers, my buddies.

It's too bad there's no such god to judge his dumb rear end.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I want a Gladiator 2 style sequel where he goes to the afterlife and god berates him and sends him back here as an Iraqi child

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody posted these in D&D a while ago:

To continue the quote, "dude iswas insane".

He rationalizes this an awful lot like the SS Einsatzgruppen did during the second world war in Ukraine. It only lacks the self martyrdom part. The lack of empathy and understanding that each war have multiple sides to it and in some cases legitimate greivances on all sides (Less so in the occupation of iraq which was 100% a US initiated and enabled crisis).
:godwin:

I saw this movie, I hate how it portrays soldiers and glorifies Chris Kyles character. But it has all the technical qualities of Clint Eastwoods direction and Cooper was fairly convincing, still it's probably better if Clint sticks to world war II where he belongs.

Edit: Oh an isn't it ironic that he has pretty much the same attitude in regards to the divine sanction of his actions that his Jihadi opponents have.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 20, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The movie fails because it doesn't show him shooting looters from the roof of the astrodome, doesn't show him beating up Jesse Ventura, and doesn't show him killing two carjackers and then having the responding officers call the Pentagon on a secret phone number to explain that everything is cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Also doesn't show him finding WMD's.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Slugworth posted:

The movie fails because it doesn't show him shooting looters from the roof of the astrodome, doesn't show him beating up Jesse Ventura, and doesn't show him killing two carjackers and then having the responding officers call the Pentagon on a secret phone number to explain that everything is cool.

He never beat Ventura up. He pretty much made it up whole clothe. He lost a defamation suit which is a pretty rare thing. He also explicitly lied and said all the proceeds of his book would go to families of soldiers who died in active combat. 52k of his 3m have been donated, with zero plans to make an NPO.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just saw this move as well. I guess in a vacuum it would be relatively solid, if by-the-numbers in terms of acting, plot, and cinematography, bit in context it's just complete poo poo. I actually wonder whether this saw significant editing after some test audiences or something. It seems like every now and then it just barely flirts with attempts at some ambiguity, only to them immediately veer away in a hurry going "nope, everything's actually fine". Like the time his superiors call him in about iraqi accusations about him being indiscriminate in terms of shooting, but all of a sudden that's immediately waved away and never heard from again. Same with the dead child at the beginning, the dude mopes about it for all of half a minute (and in a rather selfish manner to boot) and then the movie promptly forgets about it. The whole subplot about Mustafa the sniper seems to have been intended to draw some parallels between the two of them to humanise the Iraqis, but once again it was only the barest stub of a suggestion that never went anywhere.

Also jesus christ what was up with those punisher emblems on their uniforms. It's basically this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU without even the slightest hint of self-awareness.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Mustafa didn't exist to draw parallels between the two, he existed to show that our snipers were god-family-country loving patriots, and theirs were highly trained olympic medal-winners, who abandoned humanity to savagely kill heroic americans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

mugrim posted:

He never beat Ventura up. He pretty much made it up whole clothe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a scene where you see Mustafa has a family, or that's what I took from it, and that's about the extent of his humanization other than brown man with gun.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

There's a scene where you see Mustafa has a family, or that's what I took from it, and that's about the extent of his humanization other than brown man with gun.
Yeah, but as mentioned earlier, they still take that brief glimpse of his family as a chance to show that his wife is also an evil savage working against our heroes by feeding him intel.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

Mustafa uses his wife to help him find targets, placing her at risk. Mustafa came from Syria to Iraq, and is a foreign fighter.

Chris keeps his wife at home, not letting her know what he does. Chris came from America to Iraq, and is defending the homeland.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even want to get into the whole "it's a impossible shot" and the fact that he couldn't even confirm the shot in regards to Mustafa.

This movie makes me legit mad.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I haven't seen it. You mean to tell me that all these ads making me think it's some critique of PTSD for Iraq war veterans is actually just some Fox News poo poo? What happened to the Clint Eastwood who made Unforgiven?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think it's best if all of us just remember how great and beautiful Unforgiven is.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I haven't seen it. You mean to tell me that all these ads making me think it's some critique of PTSD for Iraq war veterans is actually just some Fox News poo poo? What happened to the Clint Eastwood who made Unforgiven?

American Sniper delivers multiple messages, including the harm that PTSD does. However, the largest takeaway is that ARE TROOPS are heroes and Chris Kyle is the biggest hero of them all and was able to get over PTSD by killing a really bad man and through sheer willpower.
His brother, eager to leave Iraq is a pussy. Chris Kyle, real hero, knows what must be done and PTSD is just part of the sacrifice and he doesn't REALLY have it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sinnlos posted:

American Sniper delivers multiple messages, including the harm that PTSD does. However, the largest takeaway is that ARE TROOPS are heroes and Chris Kyle is the biggest hero of them all and was able to get over PTSD by killing a really bad man and through sheer willpower.
His brother, eager to leave Iraq is a pussy. Chris Kyle, real hero, knows what must be done and PTSD is just part of the sacrifice and he doesn't REALLY have it.

I feel like the film doesn't present PTSD in such an honest way either, though. In the film, I think, Kyle is presented as a super protector of the American domicile and accordingly his PTSD comes from his inability to save people. This would also be why at the end he's able to "get over" his PTSD by helping people. I'm not sure that the film shows that what he did to Iraqis ever actually weighed on him at all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What loadout did he use I wanna plug it into Battlefield 4

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A gun and a bible.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

The Dude Used a mothershitrting BFG Over 9000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GORDON posted:

And Uday's plastic shredding machine is now on display for the public, too. That is also a change.

Yeah, I guess we got rid of Oofay and Goofay.

• Locked thread