Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything in regards to the mechanics scene in the book? That part in the movie in my eyes was trying to paint the other marine as some pansy while Kyle was too cool for school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Abu Dave posted:

Is there anything in regards to the mechanics scene in the book? That part in the movie in my eyes was trying to paint the other marine as some pansy while Kyle was too cool for school

I literally just posted it. Go to my last post. Here it is, the book's version, again:

quote:

Not always in a bad way: one day, Chris was getting his oil changed at a local shop. Some men were in the lobby with him. The guy behind the
counter called Chris’s name. Chris paid his bill and sat back down.
One of the guys waiting for his own vehicle looked at him and said, “Are you Chris Kyle?”
And Chris said, “Yeah.”
“Were you in Fallujah?”
“Yeah.”
“Holy poo poo, you’re the guy who saved our rear end.”
The guy’s father was there and he came over to thank Chris and shake his hand. They were all saying, “You were great. You got more kills than
anyone.”
Chris got embarrassed and very humbly said, “Y’all saved my rear end, too.”
And that was it.

Plays out mostly the same, but without any of the PTSD.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, my bad. I see now where the movie tries to dramatize some things. I wish the original script would leak so we could see what changes went through between Spielberg and Eastwood. I have a feeling the whole first half with the cheating gf and such would've been nonexistent. That whole part screamed misogyny and pointlessness.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Abu Dave posted:

Oh, my bad. I see now where the movie tries to dramatize some things. I wish the original script would leak so we could see what changes went through between Spielberg and Eastwood. I have a feeling the whole first half with the cheating gf and such would've been nonexistent. That whole part screamed misogyny and pointlessness.

Hilariously there's a scene in the book where it's Kyle that's close to cheating on Taya, and the scene of him getting cheated on by an early girlfriend doesn't exist or at least isn't in the book.

More changes.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
My favorite part is how Chris is portrayed as a modest guy who shies away from praise or acknowledgement. Which is entirely consistent with the real life person who wrote a book about himself, made numerous TV appearances to talk about how awesome he is, and WE ARE WATCHING A loving MOVIE HE AGREED TO HAVE MADE. Jesus christ that's the literal opposite of avoiding the spotlight.

Also how Chris makes a phonecall in the middle of a firefight while his squad is being shot at (because of him). Like holy poo poo if I saw one of my platoon mates doing that I would consider shooting them myself.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 22, 2015

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

tanglewood1420 posted:

Saw this earlier today. I cannot believe this is nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It's not so much that I find the movies politics questionable, to say the least, but IT IS SO loving BORING.

At no point is it established why I should give a poo poo about this guy. Literally the only noteworthy thing about him in his whole life is that he is a good shot with a rifle. The final battle sequence with the sand everywhere is a giant mess, with absolutely no tension because I don't care who lives or dies. In fact, all of the action sequences are dull in the extreme. Was I supposed to care when his friend is killed because every character in the movie is so poorly developed I didn't. The screenplay is garbage, the cinematography is passable at best, it's edited by-the-numbers... I guess Bradley Cooper managed to put on 30 pounds and do a Texas accent so hooray for him, Oscar nomination!

Kathryn Bigelow has made two movies with politics I find highly questionable in The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, but at least they are exciting, well constructed films that I enjoyed on a purely cinematic level. American Sniper is just so, so, so dull.

I thought the trailer with the mother and boy was a terrific trailer and expected to see a good film that I disagreed with on a philosophical level. Instead even that scene in the film is not as good as the trailer because Eastwood overplays the tension with a horrible score underneath! We get it's a super tense situation already, you don't need to have screeching dissonance swells to tell us that!

edit: For the record, I'm not American. Maybe if you are then you can find some special connection with him being all hoorah save America or whatever. I'm not actively against films that portray characters like that (see Zulu for a British equivalent about a bunch of assholes killing savages for Queen and Country that is still a good movie), but you can't have a protagonist where his only character trait is "I'M AMERICAN".

Yep. I can't get worked up about the ethics of American Sniper because I'd have to actually care enough about the movie to engage with it in the first place, and good lord, it is so flat and lifeless.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's crazy because you see language like Kyle's used as early as the Philippine invasion insurrection with American soldiers writing letters home about how great it was to kill savages (to say nothing about what the attitude toward Indians was at the time and earlier). While it wouldn't have been unusual for those soldiers to be seen as heroic in the 1890s, it's pretty jarring in 2015.

That's really not crazy at all. If anything militaries these days are even more aware of the value of dehumanizing the enemy. If you can get soldiers to think that the people they're fighting are not really people, or in some way inferior - morally, culturally, religiously, technologically, etc - it becomes a lot easier to kill them, and those same soldiers are less likely to be traumatized by the killing that they do. So I'm not 100% sure what your point is - are you appalled that soldiers talk demeaningly of their enemies, or that this is shown in a movie? Because I think the first is, in military terms, productive, while the second is realistic.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wait, the guy who wrote about Dick Marcinko was involved in writing the Chris Kyle book? That's loving hilarious and makes perfect sense. For reference, Marcinko is a ridiculous blowhard ex-marine whatever who is completely desperate to cash in on anything and claims to have done poo poo that's straight from an 80's action movie. They even made a lovely first person shooter about Marcinko where he was voiced by a super-bored Mickey Rourke having a particularly nasty spout of tourette's.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

What we need is basically the same movie, but call it American Drone Operator.

Boy are you in luck this summer*

*Granted it looks like it tries to take on people wrestling with "Push button = Kill man."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stare-Out posted:

Wait, the guy who wrote about Dick Marcinko was involved in writing the Chris Kyle book? That's loving hilarious and makes perfect sense. For reference, Marcinko is a ridiculous blowhard ex-marine whatever who is completely desperate to cash in on anything and claims to have done poo poo that's straight from an 80's action movie. They even made a lovely first person shooter about Marcinko where he was voiced by a super-bored Mickey Rourke having a particularly nasty spout of tourette's.

I met Marcinko very briefly at a company conference where he was promoting his then new game and book and I can say with authority that your description of him is 100% perfect.
I wasn't planning on seeing American Sniper or reading the book in the first place but knowing that same writer is involved at all means I never will.

HEY KID (we're all in our thirties/late twenties). *shoves autographed paperback into my hand* "I'm the ROGUE Warrior." That and also direct from his mouth everything in the video game is real. I actually played that game and, uh, :laffo: Everything about that book and game was pretty disgusting in all ways.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Stare-Out posted:

They even made a lovely first person shooter about Marcinko where he was voiced by a super-bored Mickey Rourke having a particularly nasty spout of tourette's.

Oh god, that game? I remember that game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIjdDZ7fPQ

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
don't know why but every Navy seal who comes out of secrecy to promote a book or movie comes off as a gung ho cowboy douchebag. "Woo look at me, i killed Bin Laden" not that the raid was even that spectacular, there was only like two armed guys, more credit to the stealth blackhawks aye.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I saw this movie the other night. I was interested in seeing it because the trailer hinted that it would come off as morally ambiguous and perhaps we would see some inner turmoil in the main character. I was wrong. It's not a bad movie, but its not great either. It's just ok. The most interesting parts were when he was back home and hes going through PTSD stuff but it was too brief

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

astupiddvdcase posted:

don't know why but every Navy seal who comes out of secrecy to promote a book or movie comes off as a gung ho cowboy douchebag. "Woo look at me, i killed Bin Laden" not that the raid was even that spectacular, there was only like two armed guys, more credit to the stealth blackhawks aye.

Probably because those Type A personalities are what make effective SEALs.

Trollipop posted:

I saw this movie the other night. I was interested in seeing it because the trailer hinted that it would come off as morally ambiguous and perhaps we would see some inner turmoil in the main character. I was wrong. It's not a bad movie, but its not great either. It's just ok. The most interesting parts were when he was back home and hes going through PTSD stuff but it was too brief

Pretty much my reaction. I really wish I read the American Sniper first like when I saw Lone Survivor.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I heard that Spielberg was originally attached to direct and wanted to include a LOT more about the enemy sniper. Imagine a movie that showed how both of these guys inflicted horrible casualties onto their respective enemy sides, all in the name of jingoism, 'honour', religion and 'protecting' their family. It could have been great to show that these guys were two sides of the same coin. Their training, home life and inevitable showdown of 2 men who probably shared a similar philosophy. Dang man, thats a movie I wanna see.

Unsurprisingly, They decided to focus on the half assed and cliched biography side of it for the oscars.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Slugworth posted:

The movie fails because it doesn't show him shooting looters from the roof of the astrodome, doesn't show him beating up Jesse Ventura, and doesn't show him killing two carjackers and then having the responding officers call the Pentagon on a secret phone number to explain that everything is cool.

Don't forget the part where he totally found the WMDs but they had German/French labels on them so of course it was covered up as part of a conspiracy. :tinfoil:

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

astupiddvdcase posted:

If you want a slightly different, third-party take, on Dick Marcinko, read The Rescue of River City by Drew Dix. Dix was a Green Beret in Viet Nam and ran into Marcinko and his team during the Tet Offensive. He and his team really aren't a major factor in what happened to Dix, but it puts the lie to some of Marcinko's boasting. I don't know Dix personally, but he finished his career at Fort Wainwright and retired up near Fairbanks. He's a pretty low key guy from what I'd heard from people that have met him. A civilian I worked with up there had worked with him for a while. Even the book is pretty low-key and fact driven, rather than "Rah! Rah! Blah!" poo poo that some of these guys put out. I guess it helps that he worked closely with indigenous troops, and has a lot of good things to say about them. I think the problem is that we really only hear about/from the loud mouths, and the guys like Dix don't really crave that sort of attention. Granted, he also wrote a book, but I'm betting that most of you have never heard of it, or him. Guys like Kyle and Marcinko do a huge disservice to their peers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this was a great movie! I felt such an intense patriotic surge when he defeated the bad guys who were threatening our freedom

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lonos Oboe posted:

I heard that Spielberg was originally attached to direct and wanted to include a LOT more about the enemy sniper. Imagine a movie that showed how both of these guys inflicted horrible casualties onto their respective enemy sides, all in the name of jingoism, 'honour', religion and 'protecting' their family. It could have been great to show that these guys were two sides of the same coin. Their training, home life and inevitable showdown of 2 men who probably shared a similar philosophy. Dang man, thats a movie I wanna see.

Unsurprisingly, They decided to focus on the half assed and cliched biography side of it for the oscars.

I imagine this is the reason why Spielberg walked away, was because the studio working on American Sniper didn't want that. Spielberg is too liberal to make a film about Iraq. Americans are not ready yet to take a truly critical look at that conflict.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lonos Oboe posted:

I'd love to see what Spielberg's vision for this movie was. But at the same time I doubt that he'd be pushing a full on "Enemy at the Gates" reboot in the modern day. Mostly because the Mustafa idea is a complete fabrication, Kyle himself never even tried to push that he had some career spanning rivalry with an enemy sniper. I mean, considering what he did boast about, it would have been totally up his alley but even Chris "The Punisher" Kyle didn't try and push that narrative.

It's interesting. In a vacuum I was imagining that this movie was toned down heavily to appeal to the modern view of the Iraq War. The book's message was 100% inline with the immediately post 9/11 view that we had to take the fight to the evil terrorists and was 100% inline with the GOP party line. So I was imagining that it was toned down to get broader appeal. But seeing others reactions it seems that it didn't even get to that point. Even people that fall for the "PTSD broke a humble hero" story line still hate the depiction of the Iraq War it's pushing. So who is this movie supposed to be for? It's not quite Right-wing enough for conservatives and it's still too Right-wing for Liberals. I'm honestly surprised it got nominated for any Oscars.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2015

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

Saw this earlier today. I cannot believe this is nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It's not so much that I find the movies politics questionable, to say the least, but IT IS SO loving BORING.

At no point is it established why I should give a poo poo about this guy. Literally the only noteworthy thing about him in his whole life is that he is a good shot with a rifle. The final battle sequence with the sand everywhere is a giant mess, with absolutely no tension because I don't care who lives or dies. In fact, all of the action sequences are dull in the extreme. Was I supposed to care when his friend is killed because every character in the movie is so poorly developed I didn't. The screenplay is garbage, the cinematography is passable at best, it's edited by-the-numbers... I guess Bradley Cooper managed to put on 30 pounds and do a Texas accent so hooray for him, Oscar nomination!

Kathryn Bigelow has made two movies with politics I find highly questionable in The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, but at least they are exciting, well constructed films that I enjoyed on a purely cinematic level. American Sniper is just so, so, so dull.

I thought the trailer with the mother and boy was a terrific trailer and expected to see a good film that I disagreed with on a philosophical level. Instead even that scene in the film is not as good as the trailer because Eastwood overplays the tension with a horrible score underneath! We get it's a super tense situation already, you don't need to have screeching dissonance swells to tell us that!

edit: For the record, I'm not American. Maybe if you are then you can find some special connection with him being all hoorah save America or whatever. I'm not actively against films that portray characters like that (see Zulu for a British equivalent about a bunch of assholes killing savages for Queen and Country that is still a good movie), but you can't have a protagonist where his only character trait is "I'M AMERICAN".

I've been so confused about this movie for the past few days and this sums up my thoughts pretty well. I went to see it because it had decent critical reviews, then walked out of the theater as Chris and his wife were getting married, because Jesus Christ I was rolling my eyes so hard at that point that I looked like I was having a seizure. I feel like a crazy person because if someone does have a problem with the movie it seems to be politically informed, but I couldn't even get that far into the movie to give a poo poo.

I didn't know that it was based on a real person so maybe they expected people to know that and made concessions based around it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Android Bicyclist posted:

Probably because those Type A personalities are what make effective SEALs.

Maybe more like special forces, although there's plenty of exceptions, like Drew Dix mentioned earlier.

If you've ever seen Heart Of Darkness about Francis Ford Coppola making Apocalypse Now, there's a bit where there shooting the hotel room scene and one of the military advisers has Martin Sheen as Willard pay attention to his lips in the mirror because, according to the adviser, spec-for guys tend to have a inflated sense of vanity.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It would make sense if those positions attracted a very, very odd breed of person. I know you have to be pretty exceptional to qualify, but it would be an odd personality type to want to apply.

Jreacher455
Dec 18, 2013
Honestly, after reading the book and then reading the very indepth reviews posted here I have literally no interest in seeing this at all. Dude was a psycho looking to shoot brown people and this just confirms my opinion. Although, I was kind of sad to see that my favorite quote from the book wasn't here. "She made leather pants classy and sexy at the same time." What a bunch of horseshit.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crain posted:

It's interesting. In a vacuum I was imagining that this movie was toned down heavily to appeal to the modern view of the Iraq War. The book's message was 100% inline with the immediately post 9/11 view that we had to take the fight to the evil terrorists and was 100% inline with the GOP party line. So I was imagining that it was toned down to get broader appeal. But seeing others reactions it seems that it didn't even get to that point. Even people that fall for the "PTSD broke a humble hero" story line still hate the depiction of the Iraq War it's pushing. So who is this movie supposed to be for? It's not quite Right-wing enough for conservatives and it's still too Right-wing for Liberals. I'm honestly surprised it got nominated for any Oscars.

I think the rise of ISIS from the ashes of AQI and their success in taking over much of northern Iraq and eastern Syria has made a pro-Iraq War movie much more palatable to the general public.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think the rise of ISIS from the ashes of AQI and their success in taking over much of northern Iraq and eastern Syria has made a pro-Iraq War movie much more palatable to the general public.

Wow, we, as a culture are black belts at missing the point.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

ISIS has gone out of its way to make itself as hateable as possible to westerners by publicly broadcasting and boasting of many of its atrocities. It's not surprising that the average viewer is going to identify the enemy forces in this movie with that movement and thus support the American protagonist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Its amazing to see it in action, I deal with it when I discuss this stuff with my sister. She constantly throws out lines like "well don't attack us(I suppose she's referencing 9/11 there....maybe) or you'll get whats coming to you", but when I respond by telling her about all the times in the past 75 years that we've hosed over the Middle East she doesn't really absorb any of it.

These people over there are just inanimate engines of hatred in her mind, she absolutely doesn't see them as real human beings.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Some how I completely failed to take that into account. Even though I knew about ISIS I still kinda thought we were done with this poo poo...

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Crain posted:

I'd love to see what Spielberg's vision for this movie was. But at the same time I doubt that he'd be pushing a full on "Enemy at the Gates" reboot in the modern day. Mostly because the Mustafa idea is a complete fabrication, Kyle himself never even tried to push that he had some career spanning rivalry with an enemy sniper. I mean, considering what he did boast about, it would have been totally up his alley but even Chris "The Punisher" Kyle didn't try and push that narrative.

Yeah, my first thought too was Enemy At The Gates. But even that film had to pull a last minute trick of having Ed Harris killing the kid who supplied him information because otherwise he probably would have been too relatable considering his acts were no worse than the hero's. He had no real reason for murdering the child other than the fact he was a nazi. Besides that he was a great character.

Again, a movie that pulls no punches on all the heinous poo poo that snipers do and how they psychologically process it would be a great movie. Upbringing of a Jihadist and crusader and their clash. It's the equivalent of Hector versus Achilles (If you will pardon my literary faggotry)

As for all the Punisher imagery. I imagine that is to do with real life Chris probably loving the character. Which is ironic for a few reasons. He was reading Punisher: Max. Which is the ultra gritty, slightly deconstructionist view of the special forces soldier. Frank Castle (The Punisher) is a bad-rear end but broken individual. War has made him a cold, distant sociopath. He fights crime with his special forces skills learned in 'Nam because it's all he has left in his empty life. The really ironic thing for me is that a man like Chris, buys into the power fantasy and imagery of the Punisher. Pretty much the military equivalent of Superman. It matches his Black & White outlook of good vs. bad. It's not how the world works and is escapism. You would expect a man who has shot children. (Something Frank would almost certainly never do) to have a more mature outlook on life. You could ALMOST think it was a subtle remark about what Clint thought about Chris' politics.

All that said. It's a great gritty comic and writer Jason Aaron's work post Gareth Ennis is actually closer to depicting the reality of a man like the Punisher (or Chris). PTSD, addicted to war, unable to function as a family man. It's a silly but heart-rending tale of his spiral into depression and disintegration of the soul. Highly recommend it.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah, my first thought too was Enemy At The Gates. But even that film had to pull a last minute trick of having Ed Harris killing the kid who supplied him information because otherwise he probably would have been too relatable considering his acts were no worse than the hero's. He had no real reason for murdering the child other than the fact he was a nazi. Besides that he was a great character.

I'd have to see it again to be sure but wasn't Harris' character trying to force Vasilley's hand and induce a mistake? He knew that Vasilley had a relationship with the kid and would lose his cool if he was killed, he was trying to use that to his advantage. I mean its still a Nazi kinda thing to do but there was at least a motivation beyond just being an rear end in a top hat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Basebf555 posted:

I'd have to see it again to be sure but wasn't Harris' character trying to force Vasilley's hand and induce a mistake? He knew that Vasilley had a relationship with the kid and would lose his cool if he was killed, he was trying to use that to his advantage. I mean its still a Nazi kinda thing to do but there was at least a motivation beyond just being an rear end in a top hat.

Also Harris' character told that little snot to go home to his parents and pretty much spelled out to the kid that if he caught him on the battlefield he'd kill him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lonos Oboe posted:

Again, a movie that pulls no punches on all the heinous poo poo that snipers do and how they psychologically process it would be a great movie. Upbringing of a Jihadist and crusader and their clash. It's the equivalent of Hector versus Achilles (If you will pardon my literary faggotry)

As for all the Punisher imagery. I imagine that is to do with real life Chris probably loving the character. Which is ironic for a few reasons. He was reading Punisher: Max. Which is the ultra gritty, slightly deconstructionist view of the special forces soldier. Frank Castle (The Punisher) is a bad-rear end but broken individual. War has made him a cold, distant sociopath. He fights crime with his special forces skills learned in 'Nam because it's all he has left in his empty life. The really ironic thing for me is that a man like Chris, buys into the power fantasy and imagery of the Punisher. Pretty much the military equivalent of Superman. It matches his Black & White outlook of good vs. bad. It's not how the world works and is escapism. You would expect a man who has shot children. (Something Frank would almost certainly never do) to have a more mature outlook on life. You could ALMOST think it was a subtle remark about what Clint thought about Chris' politics.

All that said. It's a great gritty comic and writer Jason Aaron's work post Gareth Ennis is actually closer to depicting the reality of a man like the Punisher (or Chris). PTSD, addicted to war, unable to function as a family man. It's a silly but heart-rending tale of his spiral into depression and disintegration of the soul. Highly recommend it.

That's the funny thing about the whole "Punisher" aspect. In the book it's pretty clear that at best these guys have only seen the movie or were just "reading a book by it's cover". There isn't any sense of irony with the platoon using the symbol or anything it's just straight up "HE PUNISH, WE PUNISH, BROWN MAN BAD NOW DIE!".

Also, keep in mind that the real Chris Kyle, as far as his own book and words goes, also hasn't killed a kid. The opening scene in the movie was altered from the books account to include a child. And later on in the scene with the RPG, the version Kyle recounts has the kid being a gun runner for insurgents (and Kyle knowing this) and he states that he's "not going to kill a child, innocent or not". So there may be a much greater level of roleplaying going on there (i.e:adopting the concept of a "warriors code" that he follows no matter what).

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Lonos Oboe posted:

As for all the Punisher imagery. I imagine that is to do with real life Chris probably loving the character. Which is ironic for a few reasons. He was reading Punisher: Max. Which is the ultra gritty, slightly deconstructionist view of the special forces soldier. [...]
Oh, so it's the same story as Wall Street, Wolf of Wall Street, Fight Club and however many other things? Part of the audience sees the irony, part takes the film/comic completely in serious, the author earns twice?

What is the female equivalent of these? Romantic comedies? Ironic romantic comedies? Are there ironic romantic comedies?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

meristem posted:

Oh, so it's the same story as Wall Street, Wolf of Wall Street, Fight Club and however many other things? Part of the audience sees the irony, part takes the film/comic completely in serious, the author earns twice?

What is the female equivalent of these? Romantic comedies? Ironic romantic comedies? Are there ironic romantic comedies?

The Backup Plan was kind of like that with things like the ridiculous kiddie pool birth scene and some other stuff.

Also August: Osage County was pretty fuckin' weird for a movie about women in a family dealing with the death of their dad/eldest husband and the lunatic matriarch that gives everybody unending poo poo about everything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Charlz Guybon posted:

ISIS has gone out of its way to make itself as hateable as possible to westerners by publicly broadcasting and boasting of many of its atrocities. It's not surprising that the average viewer is going to identify the enemy forces in this movie with that movement and thus support the American protagonist.

Westerners love ISIS, unambiguously evil Islamists who use twitter to taunt the media.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

meristem posted:

I seriously doubt that it WAS intended. I remember reading in Jarhead that the Marines loved to watch Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Cheering at the razing of the ville in Platoon. And clapping when the female sniper gets it in FMJ. Punisher Max straddles even less of an anti war line than those movies. The Punisher is a bad rear end mother fucker despite its anti war sentiments and it's entertaining. I can easily see readers seeing it as aspirational. My main gripe was that a so-called professional soldier bought into what is like a kids comic. It's like a coroner going home and watching CSI.

I have zero doubt in the movie it was there to show off how badass Chris was and the reputation he built. I seriously doubt that it was meant as an ironic showing of Chris' juvenile (public at least) approach to war and 'honour' Nothing would point to that. I wish it did though. I wish this was a better movie.

The films you mentioned never really came across that way to me. I remember being 15 walking out of Fight Club and understanding that it was all a bit silly. But the point you raised is a true one. My only suggestion is Sex and the city 2. But only if you squint REALLY hard.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Not sure if you mean to be implying this but that's how I'm reading it: Chis isn't the one reading the comic in the movie, it's another SEAL.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm not surprised they buy into that poo poo. My best friend is a Navy EOD tech that spent his deployment attached to a SEAL team in Afghanistan. According to him, it was like someone took a bunch of frat bros and spent a lot of money teaching them how to kill people. He said they were really amazing soldiers, but any time they had any downtime they just became loud racist weirdos. Apparently, a lot of them are kind of anti-technology, which struck me as odd. He said one guy didn't even know how to use a computer.

Obviously they probably aren't all like that, but I'm certainly not surprised that someone would buy into the fantasy that a Punisher comic book is selling. It's not much different from all the preteen kids religiously buying Call of Duty games wanting to join Delta Force or something "because it's badass." A whole lot of people don't grow out of that phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm not surprised they buy into that poo poo. My best friend is a Navy EOD tech that spent his deployment attached to a SEAL team in Afghanistan. According to him, it was like someone took a bunch of frat bros and spent a lot of money teaching them how to kill people.

That's not surprising actually, I know when I was nearing the end of college that's exactly how I was approached. I ran a GameStop for a bit too and every Midnight when Call of Duty is coming out for like six* years they'd show up a week before asking if they could have a recruiting table set up outside during the Midnight launch. They literally do sell it as "It's just like Call of Duty! You get to learn how to shoot the real thing!" This isn't an exaggeration, I saw it happen annually for ages.

*They did not do anything to promote Modern Warfare 2 because it has that level where the only allowable action is shooting civilians.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2015

• Locked thread