Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
This movie is pretty much Nation's Pride but a full length movie and unironic.

It would've been a much more interesting movie if it was about the real Kyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

teagone posted:

Man, you guys sure do hate this movie, lol.

Nation's Pride only took six minutes so yeah it's not gonna get old but an hour and a half long version would get old really fast.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

myshl0ng posted:

*same movie but brown guy killing whites*
*progressive atheists cum their pants MOTY 2015*

I'd watch a Christopher Doerner movie done like this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Seaniqua posted:

Pretty sure it was in the original. It's funny, as an 18 year old I remember the original CoD having a vague anti-war sentiment. Admittedly I was extremely conservative at that age so I was probably very sensitive to it. I'm pretty sure the PC version had anti-war quotes on the loading screens although it's been a long, long time.

That was the good ol days of FPS games massively aping the contemporary war movies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
American Sniper would have been a way more interesting film had it engaged with the book in any way. It's as filmed a Hollywood Story about a sniper who happens to be named Chris Kyle. Either unironically taking the book at face value, or engaging it through a cynical lens of a sniper who comes back home to write fanfiction about his life's story.

I'm not asking for a commentary on the Iraq War as a whole, or the American Soldier's experience. Chris Kyle's story per the book would have no meaningful commentary on either.

Also I don't condemn soldiers for having fun killing people. A lot of soldiers throughout history do, actually. There's a book called Soldaten that's a book summarizing the results of allied recordings of German PoWs in ww2 surreptitiously and there's a real sense that a lot of these people are like 19 year olds playing GTA in real life, given advanced weapons and equipment. A belly gunner in a Ju-88 talked about how much fun he had strafing columns of Poles with his machine gun, but I don't think it's because he's a broken person mentally. I think there is pleasure to be taken in violence, at least in some part in most people, particularly those who actually volunteer to join the military.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you're going to talk about how veterans deserve respect, maybe they should be professionals. Part of being a professional soldier is not whining to everyone else about how your benefits(which are better than most people in the private sector) aren't good enough. Be professional and then sit down and shut up. If/when you quit the Army, go find some other work or stay if you can't do anything else.

They don't need the blowjobs in the media or all the dumb remembrance poo poo. All it is is hero worship anyway. If you want to get yourself killed/kill yourself, be my guest.

These aren't men with the wherewithal, for example, to kill people in situations where that killing has consequences, like, say, fragging an incompetent superior, no, it's just hajjis.

Anyway the movie is garbage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

Yah but when you got life experiences that are different from others you probably have different reactions from them on things like this movie. It'll mean something different to you, and it's valuable to share different opinions in a discussion. Or else you get echo chambers like this thread was where everyone agrees American Sniper is pro war propaganda when me and you see it differently, for our own separate reasons. My dad could of been Chris Kyle so I don't hate on him cuz my dad is a racist rear end in a top hat kind of guy talking about third world Asians, has guns, and is emotionally closed off not talking about war experience stuff to anyone probably ever. Yet ppl here say Chris Kyle memoir don't mention PTSD struggling with killing and horror like he didn't feel it when he probably just didn't or couldn't express that side of him.

I love the Internet cuz I can read regular people from all walks of life relate themselves to each other removed from the bullshit like the Cheney Rumsfeld lies and dishonesty that still define Iraq to many. But some people hear crap they disagree with and think your brainwashed or pathetic or something instead of just different. Veterans are out there making the best arguments against war and for support groups and job training for people like them so nothing wrong with being honest about who you are if it could do good or teach people something new.

Well, on the internet you don't really have to filter yourself through the social conventions, which is awesome, really. You're right, though, that people don't go to the internet for diversity, they go to the internet to hear what they want to hear.

Anyway, Chris Kyle's book is about as truthful as Cheney and Rumsfield's reasons to go into Iraq. He quite literally said he found the WMDs in Iraq in this book. I don't see the value in it, really, though a movie that approached it in any way would be a lot more interesting than the one we got. There are war memoirs that are a lot more informative and interesting out there, and choosing this one just felt like idiocy.

There are veterans making arguments against war and there are veterans talking about how we need to nuke more hajjis. I don't see the point in humoring the latter. We don't need to be nice to people who hold abhorrent opinions, and they have nothing to teach.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

This movie was a huge success though. So I don't even know what to say about that, it kind of reinforces the idea that it was done the correct way, even if there is so much to say about Iraq that wasn't said. Hurt Locker got the awards but American Sniper got the prestige and will likely be remembered more.

I think more people have talked about the Iraqi war and the wastefulness of it all because of American Sniper then I've heard since the start of that stupid war. But it has a very specific focus, on the life of a soldier who believes in himself, a very Clint Eastwood point of view. So that's real good in its own way. Just we shouldn't hate on Chris Kyle for being a dick but hate people like Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Paul Bremer. Those are the real villains not the rednecks who they sent over.

I think people are making GBS threads on Chris Kyle because he wrote a fictional autobiography and then a movie got made about a similar character with the same name in an equally fictional way.

I hate all of the above. I don't see the need to lionize a bullshitter.

Smoothrich posted:

I doubt even the craziest marine redneck wants to see innocent children be victims of war even the children of their enemies, unless they are true sociopaths.

I think Chris Kyle might have been a real sociopath. Too bad we'll never explore that.

And the idea that "Hajji" really means "the really bad guys, not all Iraqis" is kinda silly. The Iraqis were fighting foreigners who were occupying their country. I mean I could talk about American soldiers' misdeeds in Iraq, but that would be beyond the point. It's not like these guys fragged their officers who told them to do these things. In Vietnam, the enlisted actually revolted in some ways, in Iraq there was none of that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

The Iraqis were and still are killing each other more than anything. ISIS was who Chris Kyle is fighting in this movie they just had a different name but same people and leadership. They lynched immolated corpses of Blackwater fighters from a bridge and to this day force kids and women who are easily manipulated into being suicide bombers and poo poo. I don't care what happened some people are evil Iraq is full of hosed up people committing atrocities against others.

Kyle was fighting people who could also have been the people fighting ISIS now in Iraq. He also could have been saving people who were doing Abu Gharib, or contractors who pretty much got away with rapes and murders at will. That's how war is. If he had any objections, he could have had his CO have an "accident". He chose not to. Why don't we see stories of the French mutineers in ww1, the guys who fragged their COs in Vietnam, etc., hmm? Not heroic enough for you?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

no one says fragged anymore

you sound like a mom trying to fit in and using the slang she thinks is cool when she is hanging out with her kids.

you sound like a guy who's really mad your mom isn't around to tell you you're great any more

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

You think US soldiers have a moral obligation to murder their commanding officers when they were fighting ISIS? Lmao someone should "frag" you for your posting that would be justifiable homicide probably.

I'm sure everyone US soldiers killed in Iraq was ISIS. Much like we were fighting the Khmer Rouge in Vietnam so it's all good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Armyman25 posted:

So, is this movie better or worse than Sniper?

Tom Berenger is way better than Bradley Cooper. Also more sequels.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

Go to Fallujah man. Teach me some liberal empathy by manning up and seeing what life is like there. Go show us how Chris Kyle was the real villain on the streets and rooftops of Fallujah then and now.

You're the one asking me to empathize with some asswipe like Chris Kyle. I don't have empathy for ISIS, nor do I for Chris Kyle.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

He never said that though

If I said some Klansman talking about "niggers" is actually referring to the criminal element in certain african-american communities, you would never take me seriously.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Armyman25 posted:

I was directing my comments at Smoothrich.

I don't think those comments were entirely serious.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

You know every soldier can be a hero in their own story that's why they fight to begin with. For Allah or money or their fellow soldiers. Ppl dehumanizing Chris Kyle and humanizing ISIS like moral relativism is progressive. Ok glory to introducing Sharia Law and immolation of heretical fellow Muslims on YouTube you know the ISIS values lol. You are an ignorant idealist my friend. Evil exists everywhere. Sunni fighters might've been just in a different world but in Iraq they fight for evil men. Tell them to overthrow ISIS ideology that would be real change.

Glory to blowing the poo poo out of people for the crime of hitting the gas or carrying camera equipment, I guess. Better make sure everyone remembers all our Heroes(tm) in Iraq so that ten years from now we think we can do it again.

When US soldiers attacked the Mahdi Army(people now fighting ISIS in Iraq), that was heroic, right?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

I'm not even all about the troops but people reduce complicated problems into pop culture reactionary bs over movies. American Sniper made ppl get on soap boxes and praise a ferocious Iraqi Sunni insurgency as noble savages fighting oppressors exemplified in Chris Kyle the real man not movie character being a senseless wanton sociopathic baby killer.

Then turn on the news and look shocked at ISIS imagining Bush wished them into existence like a genie in a bottle while they throw gays off rooftops legitimate atrocities in a new nation split from Iraq right where Americans were fighting and still are today that Sunni triangle.

Also all the talk about what was in his heart judging him that sound like generalizations for all soldiers like just joining the military in America is an evil act when many Americans do it for economic opportunity or something and end up in lovely situations.

You guys just get on my nerves lol but the debate I enjoy more people need to talk about Iraqi war without getting caught up on WMD crap we all already agree on. Like maybe ppl who say racist crap after a war aren't really racist just have warped perceptions from tough experiences.

You talk about not wanting another war or whatever, but then you come here and pawn off the ideas that will get us another one. I'm fairly sure if it was 1977 or whatever you'd be on about how we were fighting Pol Pot before he came into power or something. This drawing of a link between all Sunni insurgents and ISIS is basically you trying to lionize all the vets further, to make them true heroes. I mean, I guess if you kill someone who was going to be killed by ISIS, it's a win, right?

This is exactly what happened after Vietnam, mind you. We got this idea that these were Noble Fighters who may have been in the Wrong War but goddamnit they were good people. Then people stopped giving a poo poo, and we got into Iraq.

You seem really opposed to the idea that a military might have a disproportionate amount of sociopaths, or perhaps that there were cowards, heroes, racists, anti-racists, etc. in the military. You also seem really angry that someone would criticize Chris Kyle, but criticizing Chris Kyle is basically one of the ways to make the US attitude to war different, because only in that way will we avoid Iraq again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Smoothrich posted:

No way man. People are trying to kill each other daily in a warzone. It does nothing but reinforce real harmful thinking. Prob very hard until you get years of reflection, therapy, and wisdom to separate the desperate sense of hate fear anxiety thrill, all the adrenaline and atrocities and suffering, from everyday civilian life. Like you go see someone get gangraped abused tortured whatever for months becoming years by a specific subgroup of people and that trauma, which may surface in bigoted black and white prejudiced thinking, may linger over a lifetime unless they learn to cope and heal and forgive. Shaming ppl as bigots prob is the opposite as offering a war buddy time to go shoot guns at the range and relax with, which sounds like a misguided therapeutic healing methodology to combat traumatic self reinforcing thinking like becoming racist and hateful and drunk after a war. That's something Chris Kyle sounds like he could've evolved into an advocate for with time himself.

I'm sure the guy who talks about finding the WMDs in Iraq in his book is a forthright individual.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is the book censored?

The movie and book are nothing alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They are pretty alike.

The kind of bullshit in the book is crazy while the kind of bullshit in the movie is banal.

• Locked thread