Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sinnlos posted:

You are. Mustafa the Syrian Olympic sniper did/does not exist. He was manufactured from a single line in the book. It is like naming a fictional character John. Lazy? Sure. Racist? Not really.

Reminds me of Sunglasses in Black Hawk Down. Though there the book and movie is explicit that he's an unknown second in command guy that wears shades and is all over the place and efficient which is why he was noticed at all in the chaos of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Wait, the guy who wrote about Dick Marcinko was involved in writing the Chris Kyle book? That's loving hilarious and makes perfect sense. For reference, Marcinko is a ridiculous blowhard ex-marine whatever who is completely desperate to cash in on anything and claims to have done poo poo that's straight from an 80's action movie. They even made a lovely first person shooter about Marcinko where he was voiced by a super-bored Mickey Rourke having a particularly nasty spout of tourette's.

I met Marcinko very briefly at a company conference where he was promoting his then new game and book and I can say with authority that your description of him is 100% perfect.
I wasn't planning on seeing American Sniper or reading the book in the first place but knowing that same writer is involved at all means I never will.

HEY KID (we're all in our thirties/late twenties). *shoves autographed paperback into my hand* "I'm the ROGUE Warrior." That and also direct from his mouth everything in the video game is real. I actually played that game and, uh, :laffo: Everything about that book and game was pretty disgusting in all ways.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm not surprised they buy into that poo poo. My best friend is a Navy EOD tech that spent his deployment attached to a SEAL team in Afghanistan. According to him, it was like someone took a bunch of frat bros and spent a lot of money teaching them how to kill people.

That's not surprising actually, I know when I was nearing the end of college that's exactly how I was approached. I ran a GameStop for a bit too and every Midnight when Call of Duty is coming out for like six* years they'd show up a week before asking if they could have a recruiting table set up outside during the Midnight launch. They literally do sell it as "It's just like Call of Duty! You get to learn how to shoot the real thing!" This isn't an exaggeration, I saw it happen annually for ages.

*They did not do anything to promote Modern Warfare 2 because it has that level where the only allowable action is shooting civilians.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At least this means I'll get a bunch of Sniper and The Marksman direct to video sequels to laugh at.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Psychoanalysts must have tough jobs, they got to do everything!

• Locked thread