Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sinnlos posted:

The whole film is hosed up front to back. It will be fun doing a comprehensive take down of all the vile layers of poo poo it contains.

It's empty consolation because you're still living in a country where a good 30-40% of the population enthusiastically supports all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

KingsPawn posted:

Jesus, why the gently caress did this get made?

Because Clint Eastwood and a good chunk of the American population are a few steps removed from fascists? It's not really hard to figure out

meristem posted:

Oh, so it's the same story as Wall Street, Wolf of Wall Street, Fight Club and however many other things? Part of the audience sees the irony, part takes the film/comic completely in serious, the author earns twice?

What is the female equivalent of these? Romantic comedies? Ironic romantic comedies? Are there ironic romantic comedies?

The difference is that some of those movies are intended to be read as satirical, but American Sniper isn't at all

astupiddvdcase posted:

I love how people of certain political leaning loves to bash all the movies with "liberal agendas about slavery" etc. etc. (not that oscar baiting films don't raise my eyebrows) and now they can't handle people being up in arms about American Sniper lol.

Gathering from Interviews, i mean Chris Kyle is probably a nice enough sort of guy, but such a simpleton in his world views.

He was a bigoted thug and not a particularly smart one at that

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 25, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

To be perfectly honest the United States needs the experience of a gruesome war / occupation with massive civilian casualties if it's ever going to get the idea of "war is bad" hammered into its skull. The great antiwar works from WW2 are all Russian, German, and Japanese, like suddenly those countries realize "oh, that's what those liberal cranks were getting at, I understand now!!!!"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 25, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eb posted:

Great movie, definitely deserves the Oscar nomination for best picture.
I hadn't heard of Chris Kyle before seeing the movie, although I knew it was based on a real person. I thought I had read he was still alive which made the ending quite a shock.

I imagine any movie about a real person will take some liberties and gloss over some of their less personable characteristics, and even more so when it's a person who died so recently, but in the end it's just a movie, made to entertain (and make money). And I think it did so really well (on bouth counts), it was thoroughly entertaining, the war scenes were well paced and suspenseful, and despite being quite long it never felt sluggish.

It was obviously one-sided in its view of the war, no half assed "humanizing the enemy" bullshit, just Go America throughout, which is fine and kind of refreshing after seeing a lot of movies with a different viewpoint.

"Well hey, the guy might have been a cowardly, thuggish, bigoted war criminal, but maybe the truth is in the middle!!!!"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

teagone posted:

Chill. I said I didn't read the book and just asked for some sources is all. I was presented with lines of text that seemed out of context. But with all the poo poo you just said, ok cool I get it. Kyle was probably a lying piece of poo poo who got a movie made about his supposed exploits as a SEAL sniper and general real life "badassery". He's dead now though. Are you trying to convince me that American Sniper paints a disgusting picture of America's prejudice towards Iraq and Muslims through the eyes of a sociopathic rear end in a top hat? Because I honestly don't give a poo poo about Kyle's viewpoints or who he was. I'm willing to bet like every 3 out of 4 SEALs are just like him anyways.

It should disturb you that the SEALs are apparantly a step away from being SS Einsatzgruppen

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well yeah, they are, that's the point. It's bad, and it's also a legitimate criticism of the movie that it glorifies that. You don't have to care personally, but to say the criticism that the movie is basically Nazi propaganda is wrong is insane. If you really don't care then don't say anything either way

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TomViolence posted:

I don't think it can be as clear-cut as all that. People grow to hate and fear anything they live in constant threat of, and if your enemy's hiding in plain sight as happens with an insurgency it's impossible to not treat the general populace with some measure of fear, suspicion or even loathing as a pure survival mechanism. Any bigotry a soldier brings back with him is often merely baggage from that, a learned behaviour picked up like muscle memory. Dehumanising the "enemy" makes them easier to kill, which is terrible, but if it's easier to kill potentially dangerous potential enemies it's much easier to stay alive in a warzone. Politics, ideology and personal prejudice all take a backseat when brute survival is at stake.

As a Brit, I've heard practically nothing of this movie beyond this thread. Any european goons in this discussion have info on how the movie was received in their country? I took one look at the promotion and marketing for the film and saw it as tonally similar to Act of Valor(sic) and other rah-rah jingo kill-the-hajis-for-our-freedoms movies a frightening right wing gun nut acquaintance of mine keeps linking me trailers of on youtube.

Well it's a good thing then that military service in the United States is entirely voluntary, and nobody is coerced or even really pressured into doing this, isn't it?

Like this argument works for your racist grandpa who fought at Guadalcanal in WW2, but it doesn't really work for a dude who explicitly wanted to and volunteered to go murder Arab civilians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

The creators of the patch were Nazis?

Turns out the dude wearing a Death's Head insignia / SS logo shares many opinions with the Nazis?

WHOA

• Locked thread