Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Saw this earlier today. I cannot believe this is nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It's not so much that I find the movies politics questionable, to say the least, but IT IS SO loving BORING.

At no point is it established why I should give a poo poo about this guy. Literally the only noteworthy thing about him in his whole life is that he is a good shot with a rifle. The final battle sequence with the sand everywhere is a giant mess, with absolutely no tension because I don't care who lives or dies. In fact, all of the action sequences are dull in the extreme. Was I supposed to care when his friend is killed because every character in the movie is so poorly developed I didn't. The screenplay is garbage, the cinematography is passable at best, it's edited by-the-numbers... I guess Bradley Cooper managed to put on 30 pounds and do a Texas accent so hooray for him, Oscar nomination!

Kathryn Bigelow has made two movies with politics I find highly questionable in The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, but at least they are exciting, well constructed films that I enjoyed on a purely cinematic level. American Sniper is just so, so, so dull.

I thought the trailer with the mother and boy was a terrific trailer and expected to see a good film that I disagreed with on a philosophical level. Instead even that scene in the film is not as good as the trailer because Eastwood overplays the tension with a horrible score underneath! We get it's a super tense situation already, you don't need to have screeching dissonance swells to tell us that!

edit: For the record, I'm not American. Maybe if you are then you can find some special connection with him being all hoorah save America or whatever. I'm not actively against films that portray characters like that (see Zulu for a British equivalent about a bunch of assholes killing savages for Queen and Country that is still a good movie), but you can't have a protagonist where his only character trait is "I'M AMERICAN".

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread