Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The biggest reason that the politics and accuracy are problematic with the movie is that it's not a movie - it's history.

Stop thinking of the present moment, and think of the generation that's currently in elementary school. Right now they're not being told a single thing about war and foreign policy (aside from the constant TERRORISM background radiation from TV if their parents keep news stations on in the house, schools, or resteraunts/waiting rooms). About 10 years from now, those same kids that have been deliberately protected from any and all controversy about the war will be getting into high school classes, where they'll start to focus more on recent history.

What's their Vietnam? Iraq. Yes, the movie is rated R, but with how it's constantly been advertised as a nonfiction story, do you honestly think that it would never come up? A class of Juniors or Seniors in school might be judged to write a report on the views in the movie, or maybe they'll just go to Space Google and type in "iraq war movie". What do you think the top results are? American Sniper, across the board. Yes, there's the chance it might change in the future, but I honestly doubt that there will be another hugely popular movie created with an even pseudo-factual angle about the war completed within the next decade.

That means to an entire generation, at the time that they're the most vulnerable to information, American Sniper is fact. Every little thing about it like how 9/11 actually wasn't really the justified cause of the war will be completely missed, since they have no frame of reference. Are news stations still going on about how there's actually no link between Saddam and Al Queda? No. we know that, smart people know that, but people that haven't grown up yet don't loving know that.

E: vvv: True, what I wrote was probably a bit of an overreaction since I was tired and in a pissy mood, but the root sentiment still holds true - a movie presenting itself as a factual account of something that will have such deep historical significance (yes, "based on", the thread's already been there) has absolutely no right to deliberately embellish any facts. I grant that a truly neutral voice is impossible about such a conflict, but that's different than what's already been discussed in the thread

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Cole posted:

But the movie was about one guy and his experiences with war and how he saw things, not about foreign policy.

No it's not, and that's the core of so many criticisms. Everything wrong with the movie is FINE as a movie if it's kept true to the source and shown from the pov of a single flawed person rather than that of omniscient Truth

We as a country and frankly the world as a whole NEEDS a movie that shows that the whole mentality of killing sand niggers, hadjis, loving ragheads, and every other imaginable profanity begins with Red Week (the first section of basic training) and only gets worse. If even that little bit of truth can't be made public, maybe there's something wrong with the military as a whole. The fact that so many soldiers themselves are so thoroughly broken needs more light

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 3, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

A movie advertised as fact and given an omniscient point of view has no right being anything other than a documentary

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You guys, there's absolutely nothing wrong with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst - they're all 100% perfect according to how the studios and directors wanted them to be made! Stop comparing the movies to what you wanted them to be, jeez

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Danger posted:

The Hurt Locker and American Sniper were not documentaries and debating their accuracy to real history misses the point.

Yeah, the poster sure screamed symbolism

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why does it end with "well, it's what they're trained to do".

Befehl ist Befehl.

Not like a Godwin can take this train any farther off the rails

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

At this point it's probably either based on being contrarian, a paycheck through a State Department NGO, or just trying to stave off a guilty conscience

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Danger posted:

neo liberal western democracy

:roflolmao: if you think that in any way describes US foreign policy as seen by basically any other country in the world

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

US-given weapons falling into the hands of people who would later use them against others that weren't the intended targets? Dumbass, stop bringing up the past... Oh...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The world seems to become easier to understand if you think of the States seeing the entire planet as US territory. The common phase "and our American interests" tasked onto the list of allies and whatnot when talking about spending and military intentions makes it pretty clear that sovereignty doesn't really matter all that much, what's important are the resources we need to ensure our :911:NATIONAL SECURITY:911: and stability. Oil, bananas, record breaking poppy fields that are surging in size right next to US bases; if we need it, it's ours. Don't like it? Then in the joking words of Obama, "Predator drone"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But was he talking about the previous definition of things like gas-filled ballistic missiles, or the new definition under which lunchbox-sized IEDs would qualify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

Chris Kyle's unit wasn't there to win hearts and minds you know. It was to pacify a violent insurgency by killing most and scaring off the rest.

Good thing 100% of the innocent people left long ago and every single remaining person were vermin evildoers that were worse than rabid animals. Foreign military member that's impossible to understand because you can't understand even the most basic bits of their language, and all you see is killing and tagging your hometown with graffiti that obviously signifies human death... Yeah, nothing wrong with that, he's just punishing bad guys and being a badass!

Obviously the military has the right to defend itself from actual terrorists and attacks, but US soldiers practicing terrorism (you know, using terror to achieve your goals) isn't something that can be so easily brushed aside. Even if every single location was already deserted aside from 100% evil Nazi Zombies, do you think they clean up the graffiti when they're done? When the citizens of the area return to their towns rubble, what do they have to go back to? The stench of death, collateral damage, graffiti of skulls, and writing that they don't understand but is obviously in some Western language. And, hell, even if they are educated well enough to be multilingual, you know damned well that the graffiti is bound to say things like "DIE", "gently caress YOU SCUM", or probably some kind of religious references. Where do you think new terrorists will come from?

e: To bring it back to the movie more directly, the problem is systematic dehumanization, the fact that CK's own autobiography showed the kind of damage that can happen to our own soldiers from that viewpoint (let alone the lasting effects to others), and the fact that the movie just so utterly and probably intentionally missed the point and glossed over the issues

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread