Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't see a thread but holy poo poo this movie made me sick to my stomache in over patriotism and reckless abandon. If he was such a great sniper with the motto of "Aim small miss small" why didn't he shoot to disarm instead of always shooting to kill? It was just reckless murder by someone who is likely retarded. When asked why he wanted to go to war, the main character said as straight faced and serious as can be, "Because I love my country and will do anything to protect it." It was nauseating. No one thinks like that. The only time this movie eventually got interesting was when PTSD kicks in, but even then he magically gets better thanks to the government funded VA.

Seth Rogan was misquoted as saying this film felt like Nazi Propganda (he meant to say it felt like the film at the end of Inglorious Basterds) but even that misquote seemed appropriately right.

Don't watch this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It makes sense if you see the movie; for example he hovers over a child with a grenade for like three minutes, enough time to aim for the kids leg or arm, the target isn't even really moving. Instead he kills the child.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't really understand the point of the driller guy. I mean he was comic book evil, but Kyle put the family into that situation and caused the death of a innocent child because he was disobeying orders. The film lightly touches on this at the end again when he ruins the soldiers position by being greedy and taking out the racistly named other sniper, but there was no repercussions or anything.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I laughed when Cooper decided to join the marines on foot and was like "I know how to infiltrate them deep" or some stupid hoo rah speech. The theatre looked at me like I was insane, but it reminded me of Kenny Powers for some reason. And yeah, the racism was really disgusting. I wonder if this is what Clint wanted the reaction to be.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you look at it as a movie about a mentally disabled racist misogynist who joins the army then MAYBE. But that's a pretty big ask.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a scene where they try to humanize Mustafa (another line in very racist terms this movie uses) by showing he had a wife and daughter but this comes after you see that the wife is responsible for "ratting out" the location of troops. It's just really really gross. Like I had no knowledge going in about the movie when i first saw it, so I thought the first scene was setting him up as a child murderer. Then the "because I love america" poo poo came in and welp.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

It's empty consolation because you're still living in a country where a good 30-40% of the population enthusiastically supports all of it

I watched this with a friend and on the way out of the theatre I made a joke about it being about "a retard who murders innocents" and she started crying and playing the silent game and it will prob be the end of our friendship so thats why I triply hate this movie.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mugrim posted:

I've read the book but not seen the movie and am highly interested in your write up. I am surprised from what I hear everyone saying about the movie because Kyle comes off as a blowhard/psycho in his book and it seems something is lost in translation. Someone asked about the book and I described it as " Ricky Bobby and Seth Rogen from Observe and report put into a red white and blue blender"

It comes over as exactly that, except it's played 100% straight and never shows why this is wrong.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bows1 posted:

Why is Mustafa racist? I googled around and it just seems like a super popular name? Not fighting it just don't understand.

If I recall correctly it wasnt even his name, just a name they gave him, like calling a spaniard "Pedro". I'm probably wrong though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a scene where you see Mustafa has a family, or that's what I took from it, and that's about the extent of his humanization other than brown man with gun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even want to get into the whole "it's a impossible shot" and the fact that he couldn't even confirm the shot in regards to Mustafa.

This movie makes me legit mad.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reading the little book snippets makes Kyle seem alot more relatable and less of a monster. Like in the movie he had no qualms about killing children, if he had to.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, in the book piece it says he wouldn't shoot a child ever, and in the movie he shoots one and almost 2 so it's a wash I get.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything in regards to the mechanics scene in the book? That part in the movie in my eyes was trying to paint the other marine as some pansy while Kyle was too cool for school

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, my bad. I see now where the movie tries to dramatize some things. I wish the original script would leak so we could see what changes went through between Spielberg and Eastwood. I have a feeling the whole first half with the cheating gf and such would've been nonexistent. That whole part screamed misogyny and pointlessness.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Armani posted:

As a friend, you should honestly ask her why she is so deeply moved by the movie. The movie is a lie, her feelings aren't. It's worth exploring and it might give good insight on why people love blantant propaganda, especially during the Internet age.

Its because she had a boyfriend who served in Afghanistan and Americans overreact about even the gruntiest of soldiers. You can't even make fun of them without facing the cry of "you're free because of them!" And other ludicrous displays.

Im free because I want to be free, not because the kid who got a tattoo of ICP at age 15 was too dumb to apply himself in school.

I wish there was someone who'd really look into propaganda and why most people believe that. I mean yeah im grateful they're over there doing a job but they're no more special than the guy who empties the toilets or the girl who serves coffee.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine if this movie ended like how Inglorious ended; a innocent Iraqi women whose home and life has been destroyed because of american invasion decides to kill the american sniper being celebrated. I wonder what the reaction would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
University of M something cancelled a showing of this movie because of it's racist tendacies and prolification of a mass murderer. Good for them.

Of course a bunch of radical USA mans are mad at the school.

• Locked thread