Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Ytlaya posted:

Unless it's specifically co-morbid with PTSD, I think we can safely attribute soldier bigotry to the same hate and ignorance to which we attribute anyone else's bigotry.

I don't think it can be as clear-cut as all that. People grow to hate and fear anything they live in constant threat of, and if your enemy's hiding in plain sight as happens with an insurgency it's impossible to not treat the general populace with some measure of fear, suspicion or even loathing as a pure survival mechanism. Any bigotry a soldier brings back with him is often merely baggage from that, a learned behaviour picked up like muscle memory. Dehumanising the "enemy" makes them easier to kill, which is terrible, but if it's easier to kill potentially dangerous potential enemies it's much easier to stay alive in a warzone. Politics, ideology and personal prejudice all take a backseat when brute survival is at stake.

As a Brit, I've heard practically nothing of this movie beyond this thread. Any european goons in this discussion have info on how the movie was received in their country? I took one look at the promotion and marketing for the film and saw it as tonally similar to Act of Valor(sic) and other rah-rah jingo kill-the-hajis-for-our-freedoms movies a frightening right wing gun nut acquaintance of mine keeps linking me trailers of on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Is this really the case? Here in the UK a lot of people sign up because they have few skills and are in economically deprived areas, and have a sudden realisation that it's either the army, or the dole and then most likely prison. Yeah it's not conscription but it's not like the decision's made in a vacuum, and I can't imagine things are any better in the US.

Then (if they come home at all) they often return even less able to function in society. Great job, armed forces!

e: This isn't a defence of Kyle or the film by the way - I just think the notion that anyone everyone who signs up for military service does so because they want to kill Arabs is wrong.

I agree with this assessment. The armed forces might do their damnedest, and often succed, at twisting people into bloodthirsty murder machines for whom killing is their raison d'etre, but not everyone joins up to go shoot brown people. Military recruitment's almost predatory in how it targets the poor, the unqualified, the deprived and the desperate. There's plenty of incentives given for military service beyond just being legally allowed to kill other people: training, prestige, a paycheck, a sense of purpose or community, the list goes on and on. It's a job like any other, that just happens to potentially include violence against your fellow human beings. Add to that the factor that not everyone who joins the military is making an informed decision, nor do they know ahead of time where they will be deployed and in what role.

EDIT: ^^^^^^ drat, ninja'd.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_use_of_the_swastika_in_the_early_20th_century

Prior to some big broohaha I can't seem to remember the name of, swastikas really were all over the place.

EDIT: And while we're talking SS symbols, KISS's logo bears a distinct resemblance. I would infer from this that the jewish glam rock band hold some nazi sympathies.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 15, 2015

• Locked thread