Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Haven't seen the movie, the trailer was really well done but Chris Kyle and the hero worship of navy seals and special forces sums up everything that is wrong with a large part of western society today.
I bet when the movie finishes in a cinema,a load of americans are gonna stand up and clap and go out on the streets and find some guy in uniform or a vet and go "Thank you for your service" while real vets go "Can you fatsoes please leave me alone".

Guessing from the trailer, i guess this movie presents Kyle as too morally conflicted and sympathetic compared to reality. Its like 'Generation War' "OH BUT MY FRIEND IS JEWISH, I FEEL SO BAD SHOOTING JEWS, YOU SEE WE ARE ALL MORALLY CONFLICTED NORMAL GERMANS NOT NAZIS" while in reality Kyle was not very sympathetic and believed every woman children person he killed as just and righteous thing to do and defending Americans back home.

astupiddvdcase fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
don't know why but every Navy seal who comes out of secrecy to promote a book or movie comes off as a gung ho cowboy douchebag. "Woo look at me, i killed Bin Laden" not that the raid was even that spectacular, there was only like two armed guys, more credit to the stealth blackhawks aye.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

ISIS has gone out of its way to make itself as hateable as possible to westerners by publicly broadcasting and boasting of many of its atrocities. It's not surprising that the average viewer is going to identify the enemy forces in this movie with that movement and thus support the American protagonist.

ISIS would have never materialized if US did not invade Iraq. I laugh at all those people ignoring the flow on effects of the invasion yelling "RAH RAH, STUPID OBAMA!" or some other irrelevant statement.
I haven't even been paying attention and me and many people saw it from miles away. You have PMCs getting ambushed in fallujah and hung from a bridge by insurgents and the local folks, its definitely not a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED lol, along with the other various cases of kidnapping and beheading in the early the mid 2000s. Couple that with the withdrawal and the rise of "Insurgents with night vision and silencer doing spec op style raids and execution on local iraqi army outpost and generals" you know shits gonna hit the fan lol.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
I love how people of certain political leaning loves to bash all the movies with "liberal agendas about slavery" etc. etc. (not that oscar baiting films don't raise my eyebrows) and now they can't handle people being up in arms about American Sniper lol.

Gathering from Interviews, i mean Chris Kyle is probably a nice enough sort of guy, but such a simpleton in his world views.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
its hard to imagine a world where iraq was not invaded or maybe even if 9/11 but more the former. honestly if iraq wasn't invaded probably over a million people would still be alive today.
I mean Yeah american sniper captures a dimension to veterans and what they faced in the middle east where the enemy is elusive and faceless and a fanatical enemy that is probably gone further than the japanese in WWII, but Chris Kyle is not the man to do it and this is certainly not a movie that is needed atm with the rise of hero worship of the military and troops even though im an armchair general and love military hardware etc. Americans are just too stupid and brainwashed (especially in the south) to not buy into this kinda stuff, especially all the call of duties, and crappy movies like Act of Valor (with real active service seals) and ll the 'tell all seal' seal books. This is also a thing i feel that is happening in Australia but to a lesser degree with Anzac day and "they died for our freedom" BS when reffering to Gallipoli, Vietnam or some other conflicts where our freedoms were not directly threatened and needless to say our freedom was probably more born outta events like the Eureka Stockade or directly inherited from the British than outta a military or revolutionary struggle in which some people so want our history to be.

Oh and lettuce not forget about this which kinda relates to kris kyle's death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLq-73tP8hE
BRB lets give PTSD veterans firearms, which is obviously Chris's solution lol.

astupiddvdcase fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 25, 2015

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
i like how this movie brings out the simplification of the iraq war and who we were fighting on both sides. Facebook comments going "IM ashamed to be american these Iraqis were protecting their own country and they called terrorist"
Uhhh nope. These guys were ISIS before they became ISIS. Most of the Iraqi Insurgency groups had no qualms kidnapping aid workers or civilian contractors and cutting their heads off. Im sure many Iraqis (mostly Shia i believe)in which benefited from the US Invasion and were put into power were not exactly "Defending their own country".
In fact i don't think i even have issue with the "dehumanization of the enemy" in which i think they went for a pretty tame take on the insurgency, who often times used female suicide bombers and if they really want to dehumanize them they should draw more things from real life like a bunch of iraqi insurgents aiming from the hips yelling allah ackbar while hitting nothing or how incompetent iraqis are like Iraqi army recruits failing to do star jumps and how much they suck in combat compared to Chris Kyle (part of the reason ISIS gained so much momentum) and lets not forget the 2004 Fallujah killings in which the four PMC dudes were ambushed, burnt and hung from the bridge by insurgents while the local populace jumped up and down celebrating. I mean how do you humanize an enemy who really loving hate the west and USA in general and does so much to reaffirm the beliefs of a simpleton like Chris Kyle? But i think the obvious problem American Sniper fails to do is to say enough or ask enough questions, and that is to raise the issues of the war along with questioning the character of Chris Kyle. A movie that only wants to show the "effects of combat on veterans and their family and what they had to put up with" has been done to death and is just not good enough for a movie about a war like Iraq and a person like Chris Kyle.

On another note, i went on the wiki article for the 502nd Infantry regiment of the 101st airborne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/502nd_Infantry_Regiment_%28United_States%29#Iraq
and it funny that I remember the article used to talk about he Mahmudiya Killings in which troops from the 502nd raped and killed a little girl and her family. But this has since been removed and the only link between the regiment and the incident is the reference to USA Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Thomas L. Tucker on the bottom of the article. I feel like the Iraq war is becoming a bit hazy for a lot of people, and videos of IEDs and other incidents i use to see on youtube are becoming harder to find. People actually think they're fake at time which is laughable.

And turns out the guy who removed the section on the rape was a guy from the 502nd :/

astupiddvdcase fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 28, 2015

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Azran posted:

When I complain about the dehumanizing of Iraqis in the movie, I am not talking about the actual insurgents. I'm talking about the civilians. Not a single Iraqi civilian who gets a line is shown in a non-negative light (okay, maybe the kid who gets killed by the Butcher, but he's pretty much a non-entity). The kid's father wants money for the information, the guy outside the Butcher's hideout is actually hiding a terrorist weapon cache, the racist sniper's wife gives out US troop locations, etc etc.

Also one of the main issues of the Iraq occupation was the complete lack of a plan beyond "let's invade", so even sympathetic iraqis (including army members who went to the point of refusing to fight the Coalition) were kicked from their jobs, generating resentment and bolstering paramilitary numbers. I wouldn't go to the point of saying "many Iraqis benefitted" at all.

The MilHist thread recommended this documentary on the topic, in case you want to know more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpf5nDIs9M

ah, ok got it. Seems a lot of people though are just going "OH ANOTHER MOVIE SHOWING ARABS AS TERRORIST! drat THEM"
yah know. yeah

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Anyone love how butthurt some people get and lol at the comments
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01/27/marines-response-to-critics-of-american-sniper-is-10061-words-its-worth-it-to-read-each-one/

The comments are so much fail. It seems like if you are a conservative or watever all of a sudden you cant seem to comphrehend the legitimate view points of the other side. "Yall hate our vets latte sipping liberal fags"

Funny that jfk was a wwii vet and bush ran a campaign against his opposition with vietnam war swiftboat vets spouting bs about john kerry. No insult to veterans but some just aint so bright. Love how peope revere veterans so highly and that serving in the military all of a sudden means they know everything about politics even if they are bunch of southern rednecks

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Lol americans missing the point and cant understand a semi non straightforward argument. Colour me surprised

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
So apparently the guy who killed kyle was an 'islamic sympathiser' and he saw no combat experience. He isnt muslim but just cause he wasnt muslim doesnt mean everything said about chris and this movie still does not stand.

And the comments on fb on some conservative website on this is facepalm
"We must stand up to these muslims blah blah" like stfu

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Cole posted:

what does your first point have to do with your second point

I think i was meant to say even if he was muslim and an islamic sympathizer everything about this movie and chris still stands. And we dont even know his beliefs maybe he is just disillusioned and that equals "islamic sympathizer" to consrvatives. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Cole posted:

Yeah but how did you enjoy the movie because a movie can be about bad people and still be good. Like pulp fiction. Or hot shots.

Well a movie based on a real event and a real person with questions surrounding their actions and their beliefs and warping it to suit a movie just to tell a story about ptsd is kinda dishonest especially when surrounding a contentious issue like chris kyle and iraq war. Its like the imitation game, its a good movie but i felt they went too far in portraying him as almost autistic and pushing the "its okay to be different" agenda but theres a less of an issue there since its not tjr holocaust or thr iraq war.

Its funny that conservatives worship chris kyle just because he wrote a book and he was well promoted. If he didnt mobody would even care.

• Locked thread