Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Steve Yun posted:

Hurt Locker goes into the category of films that say "look what war does to our soldiers" which is fine as far as anti-war films go, but I prefer the films that say "look what war does to everyone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJNNzbWM4F8

I guess I imagined the parts where Jeremy Renner is going through the dead Iraqi bodies trying to find that little boy who he thought was turned into an IED, or the part where the Iraqi man is kneeling there crying as Renner tries to disarm the suicide vest padlocked onto him. Or the part where Renner holds up the Iraqi guy who works on the base who then takes him to the family who he holds up until they get the guy who speaks English and everybody is scared and they don't know what he wants.

Cole posted:

Hurt Locker inaccuracies: EOD teams don't roll out in three man units (which they do for the entire movie), EOD teams don't run off on sniper missions (which is a 40 minute scene), EOD teams don't go chasing after bad guys after an explosion (which is a huge plot point), their uniforms weren't correct at a lot of points (which is nit picking), a LtCol doesn't roll out just 'to see what it's like' because an e-4 says he should without a hilariously large personal security detail (which is another huge plot element), EOD units don't deploy one individual to meet up with a team (which happens a couple of times during the movie).

Seriously, do you even know what you are talking about?

Do you? In 2003, "special mission units", including EOD, rolled around in single vehicle units all the time. I did on more than one occasion. More than a few times, my two-man team rolled out in a cargo humvee *without a long rifle, and even without a radio* to link up with other units.

My Boss, a Captain, and his Boss, a Lt Col rolled around solo in confiscated civilian trucks. In the Sunni Triangle. On a Daily Basis. Maybe the time frame was wrong, but it is a thing that happened, and your TTPs are different than my TTPs. For all of its "technical inaccuracies" like the petty poo poo you're pointing out (hint: It's all nitpicking, probably because you don't like the politics of the film), they got the personalities and the motivations of individuals pretty dead on.

Cole posted:

A sniper leaving his perch to help a marine unit with raids is more realistic than an EOD team becoming snipers or going off on renegade missions to find a bad guy.

Are you EOD? The only time I've ever seen an actual M82 Barrett in person was when EOD was using it. Because they use the .50 cal rounds to detonate explosives at long range. Have you seen a mortar or artillery round? They're considerably smaller than a human being, but EOD shooters need to be able to hit it with the Barrett well outside of the blast radius.

Sniper School doesn't teach you to shoot, it teaches how to infiltrate, how to identify overwatch positions, how to build and identify sniper nests, how to do the math involved in range finding, and other technical stuff, but it's pretty much expected that you know how to shoot before you get there.

Just shooting a sniper rifle doesn't make you a sniper, but the EOD guys do have sniper rifles and do know how to use them. Which is all I saw in Hurt Locker...

And finally, you're probably right, they wouldn't go on a renegade mission to find a bad guy. I know a Captain who was punished for jeopardizing his team by "going off on a renegade mission to find some bad guys", even though nobody was hurt and the bad guys he caught were doing a fly-by-night weapons market that would have been packed up and gone by the time the Brigade got its poo poo together and sent a loud armored company down into the town. He caught two guys and hundreds of rockets and other weapons that would have otherwise been used against us, but was punished for showing initiative and being successful (and embarrassing the Hoo-ah, I gotta be there and get the glory! Colonel), so Kudos to you for calling that one.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread