Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This movie was disgusting and racist. I'm really embarrassed that this film exists.

ma i married a tuna posted:

Similarly, the impossibly strained relationship with his wife is really well done, and Cooper is really effective in conveying a person unable to communicate.

I don't agree with this. I felt like the wife was an overused movie trope and side dressing for the audience and to add pointless conflict to the story. She is just whiny and there to serve Chris Kyle. The whole thing came off as very sexist, rounding out everything disgusting you could shove into one movie.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ma i married a tuna posted:

That's totally untrue. There's a brief window after Vietnam when movies and depiction of war was often explicitly antiwar - late 70s and early 80s, but by the mid 80s to today most war movies are in one way or another pro-war. Top Gun is the most pivotal movie to make that happen - for it, military equipment was made available basically for free under the agreement that the US Armed forces be depicted positively. Similar deals remain very common in big-budget war movies.

Top Gun wasn't a war movie though, so it doesn't count. It was a gay romance/drama film because of the volleyball beach sequence, and soundtrack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lonos Oboe posted:

I heard that Spielberg was originally attached to direct and wanted to include a LOT more about the enemy sniper. Imagine a movie that showed how both of these guys inflicted horrible casualties onto their respective enemy sides, all in the name of jingoism, 'honour', religion and 'protecting' their family. It could have been great to show that these guys were two sides of the same coin. Their training, home life and inevitable showdown of 2 men who probably shared a similar philosophy. Dang man, thats a movie I wanna see.

Unsurprisingly, They decided to focus on the half assed and cliched biography side of it for the oscars.

I imagine this is the reason why Spielberg walked away, was because the studio working on American Sniper didn't want that. Spielberg is too liberal to make a film about Iraq. Americans are not ready yet to take a truly critical look at that conflict.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arkane posted:

Seems like he served his time admirably, had a loving family, and was trying to help people in need.

Told some tall tales maybe, but a lot of people do.

Maybe you should calm down a little and get some perspective.

Chris Kyle openingly admits in his book that the only reason why he joined the military was to shoot Muslims, which he felt were all savages, and that he enjoyed killing people. What about that is admirable? He should never had been allowed to enlist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Man, you guys sure do hate this movie, lol.

Well, it's a piece of poo poo film in just about every single way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

http://www.clickhole.com/article/co..._source=twitter

• Locked thread