Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eb posted:

Yeah basically people realize they can't call it a bad movie just because they don't agree with its politics

Yeah you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought the recent Testament of Youth was a great antiwar film. Problem with making an antiwar film is that war and battle is cinematically thrilling, which undermines the message a bit.

Testament stays firmly behind the lines, watching mangled men getting shipped to a field hospital.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

That's fine and dandy. A movie can be about politics. But if you watch it and you're so influenced by it that you can't discern the difference between Hollywood and real life, the problem is not with the movie. People seem to be defending ignorance. Watching a movie, any movie, that doesn't fall under a documentary title (and even then), even those that are "based on" real events and getting your political ideologies from it is lazy ignorance. Can it influence you do to more research about it? Yeah, but don't ask me to accept people being lazy about it.

I despise American Sniper because it's (to all intents and purposes) objectively ethically repugnant. In uncritically presenting the military as tortured heroes it contributes to a mindset that actively makes the world an awful place to live in and encourages death.

I'm not saying it's the sole reason for atrocities, but this film (and others like it) will play a contributing part in future horrors.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

Besides those twitter trolls about Muslims sound like some of the commentary about soldiers, Chris Kyle, and conservatives from the leftist critics

No they don't.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

Again, the movie shows him joining up because of 9/11. It is not his fault the people in charge sent him somewhere that had nothing to do with 9/11.

He joins up in the movie because of an Embassy bombing, 9/11 comes later in the narrative.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ooh sorry, wasn't a criticism. This thread is much more interesting than every other thread in CineD. You just don't get people justifying child murder in the comic book threads!

Carry on!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

Yes, because it is that black and white.

No, I get it. Sometimes you gotta blow a kid away right? Pop pop.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

If they are running at a group of people with a bomb intent on blowing up that group of people? Yeah, sometimes it is justified. But at least you get it.

What would you rather have happen? Pretend like this isn't a war, pretend like it is a child running at random civilians in New York. Should a police officer just let that child run up and blow a fuckton of people up?

Sometimes tough men have to make the calls that noone else can. They don't enjoy it, but this is the way of the soldier, right?

And if it ends with a smouldering ruin of a country and millions dead. Well... That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Tough calls. Real men. HUUH!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

The military was at war in the name of freedoms and security and yada yada.

America was at the mall.

People forgot we were even in Afghanistan for several years.

People's lives didn't change any if they weren't directly affected by 9/11 (to include military and the family of people in the military).

Literally nothing changed about anyone's lives outside of the airport. Just because they waved a flag in the front yard and said they were patriotic doesn't mean they gave a poo poo, it just means they looked like they did.

Go look at any military support group anywhere. Tell me how many people in those groups have zero connection to the military. People care about the military (whether that care has to do with support or the travesties committed by the military) when you ask them about it, not when they are on Facebook or shopping in walmart.

People only care about politics when it directly affects their lives. Memorials have been made based on donations. You think people didn't make money off those memorials? Just because something is non-profit, or something is based on donations, doesn't mean someone didn't get rich off of it.

The memorials that were built were contracted out to companies that will make you a memorial about your dick being 22 inches long. After people give their $10 or $20 in the name of the memorial, they go back to not giving a poo poo because the five minutes it took to make such a donation was probably too long anyway.

By your standards what would constitute a member of the public genuinely caring about 9/11?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

But you don't care about any of that, nor will you try to change anything, unless it is convenient. Nobody does.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

no one says fragged anymore

you sound like a mom trying to fit in and using the slang she thinks is cool when she is hanging out with her kids.

What's the current phrase?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TomViolence posted:

As a Brit, I've heard practically nothing of this movie beyond this thread. Any european goons in this discussion have info on how the movie was received in their country? I took one look at the promotion and marketing for the film and saw it as tonally similar to Act of Valor(sic) and other rah-rah jingo kill-the-hajis-for-our-freedoms movies a frightening right wing gun nut acquaintance of mine keeps linking me trailers of on youtube.

Most of the posters I saw in up London ended up defaced pretty quickly:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The movie and book are nothing alike.

They are pretty alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

If a university was going to show Birth of a Nation, would it be right or wrong for them to pull the film because of the protests that the film is racist?

It'd be more complicated than simply right or wrong.

• Locked thread