Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
poo poo like this makes me appreciate Black Hawk Down more in retrospect among the crop of "modern" war movies. Yeah, that movie shows American soldiers as being pretty uniformly Nice People, but at least it has the decency to hammer home how horrible combat is, how inept and/or just plain out of control the powers that be are before and during a battle, and ends with a title card explicitly saying the whole thing ended in failure and all the nice American boys you saw getting turned inside out and poo poo and dying in agony accomplished absolutely nothing. The Somali "bad guy" they capture and talk to at the beginning of the film was right all along and it isn't even a little bit subtle about it. It's not a masterpiece but it feels like one compared to this kind of poo poo.

e: "I'm here to kick some rear end!" :911:

(Falls out of helicopter, breaks back)

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

myshl0ng posted:

*same movie but brown guy killing whites*
*progressive atheists cum their pants MOTY 2015*

This is an obvious troll, but Django Unchained got a good amount of criticism here, so still nope.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Looking back on it I think Chuck Norris ' s Delta Force movie was a more nuanced take on the Middle East than this one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Exactly - the film does not handle Kyle's inner life in the same cavalier way as it does the depiction of a totally simplistic and righteous war. His professional skill adds dimension to his silent grunts, but not in a way that causes empathy. His inability to cope with home makes him rugged, not sympathetic. That's why he's constantly thanked for his service onscreen and off, the film flat out refuses to deal with the situation. So in that way it's less q celebration of war and more a celebration of denial and ignorance. It's fostering those who thank you for your service instead of giving them something to think about.

I'm a really :corsair: veteran of uncool deployments that would make terrible Hollywood movies, but here's my take on it, for whatever it's worth:

I think part of the disconnect is the difference between depicting suffering caused by war (realistic, good, valid, whatever you want to call it), and making a martyr out of a lovely person for a "noble cause" that was loving poo poo (which is artificial, insincere, lovely, evil, whatever you want to call it.)

To be a martyr you have to die for a purpose so noble that your suffering and death shows you are a wonderful person to be admired. The problem is that this guy was a shitbird who suffered for something super stupid. Real people probably really suffered SOMETHING like he is shown to have suffered, and it probably feels real to them and helps the movie resonate with so many people, but the whole thing is framed in a way that is really loving lovely if you think about it for a second. Saying suffering for America makes you awesome and admirable without reference to the politics of the war causing the suffering ISN'T apolitical, it's pushing like the shittiest possible "orders justify anything" view of things.

Also, people thanking you for your service are almost always using you as a prop to show off to the people around them how :911: REAL AMERICAN :911: they are. Or they're just super gross people whose approval makes you want to die. Every once in a while the person is just being nice and can't think of anything else to say, though.

e: Looking back at this post I don't think it's super articulate, but hopefully it makes some kind of sense. :downs:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 7, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cole posted:

In what way?

Well, his actual biography is full of poo poo that was clearly just made up, and the movie just ignore the fact that he's a huge dumb liar.. But the movie also invents things that contradict the actually believable parts of his biography too, and in ways that make him like a much worse person. He says he'd never shoot kids, for instance, which he does in the movie, and he said he respected the dead guy he talks poo poo about in the movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cole posted:

I was being genuine in my question. I bought his book but haven't been able to read it yet due to schoolwork taking priority. I'll take a look at it though.

For what it's worth, though, I think the movie did a fairly good job of showing how war can break someone down, and that's all I am commenting on.

I've read several biographical pieces on the guy, good opinions of him and bad opinions, and that's where I get my source of information about Chris Kyle from.

The point is that the movie doesn't try to deal with the actual guy, either his good parts or his bad parts. His hard-and-fast "no dead kids" rule might have had interesting real implications, like getting his friends killed, because war is full of lose-lose poo poo like that. But instead he's a martyr to Doing the Hard Things Other People Won't without reference to if any of it did anybody anywhere any good.

They made a monument instead of a memorial, a martyr instead of a tragedy. They used honest elements to be lying fucks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's The Passion of the Longinus, or the real-life LOL NO travails of the Roman Empire's greatest side-stabber and javelin-er of barbarian looters, and how he bore his many sufferings with manly stoicism right up until the end. :hist101:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would not go so far as to call him the American Horst Wessel, but it's not looking good.

Well to be fair, Wessel knew as well as anybody that pimping ain't easy.

Or am I misunderstanding your point? :haw:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cole posted:

That isn't the movie's fault. That is people's fault for being lazy and gullible. Filmmakers who aren't making documentaries have no responsibility to anything but the MPAA and the studio that funds the movie.

Explicitly deceitful thing deceives people, its makers have no responsibility for their actions. Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will had no real-world consequences and their makers bear no responsibility for making the world a shittier place because, whelp, people be dumb!

Do you generally look at things in terms of how the victim "had it coming"?

Do you think being a huge fraud is cool and good if you can get away with it using a semantic dodge?

Do you really find nothing contemptible about the filmmakers marketing something as being true-to-life as hard as they possibly can without literally calling it DOCUMENTARY: THE DOCUMENTARY STORY, then not using it being a literal documentary as a responsibility dodge when they get called on being lying fucks?

That's the hill you want to die on? :confused:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's mostly insincere though, saying you support the troops is for most people just how you show off how much of a Real American you are. Nothing is lower effort than saying in a poll that you like something that it makes you look good to like.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I would argue that the loss of life made less of an impact than the destruction of iconic buildings.

I mean, obesity probably kills 300,000 Americans every year and you don't see us spending $5 trillion trying to win that battle. It's obviously not about the raw number of people killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hah, I love how even British graffiti is polite. Like multiple people offered coherent commentary and someone that disagrees just says "get a grip" instead of spraypainting "gently caress you" next to a giant dong or something.

Anyways, keep in mind that Kyle blatantly lied about more than just WMDs. He also lied about :

Punching Jessie Ventura
Shooting looters from the roof of the Superdome
Shooting some carjackers and giving the police a secret phone number to get him off the hook

What stands out how dumb, easily disprovable and generally terrible these lies are. I could come up with better self-aggrandizing lies in the time it takes to take a dump.

• Locked thread