Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yo this movie was boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Cole posted:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/otherize

what

if you can find the definition of otherize in a legitimate dictionary i'll respect what you're saying. otherwise you're gonna have to reword it so i don't immediately think you're just kind of dumb.

Otherizing would be when Kyle had a disapproving look on his face when his brother said "gently caress this place" or said that the other soldier (I can't remember which one because every non-Chris Kyle character in this movie was a cardboard cutout) deserved to die because he questioned the point of going to war.

But if you want to get hung up on the use of "otherize" then replace it with, I dunno, denigrate or something similar.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Why assume that it's an ineffective anti-war movie? It felt to me like a pro-war movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lol

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a good Clint Eastwood picture.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Written, funny enough, by a die-hard white supremacist.

It is, but, aside from Josey being a Confederate, it doesn't feel like it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I think that when a film ends with real life footage of its subject's funeral, it becomes harder to hide behind the "it's just a movie" defense.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Cole posted:

then what was i watching

You seem intent on quashing discussion of the movie's politics even though a movie made on this topic is, and arguably all movies are, inherently political.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Cole posted:

That's fine and dandy. A movie can be about politics. But if you watch it and you're so influenced by it that you can't discern the difference between Hollywood and real life, the problem is not with the movie. People seem to be defending ignorance. Watching a movie, any movie, that doesn't fall under a documentary title (and even then), even those that are "based on" real events and getting your political ideologies from it is lazy ignorance. Can it influence you do to more research about it? Yeah, but don't ask me to accept people being lazy about it.

Think about those news stories that people post on Facebook that are solely to smear Obama. Most of them aren't true, and anyone who takes them as fact without doing any research is lazy and ignorant. This movie is the same thing as those news stories, it's just a movie and not a news story.

The American populace, by and large, is lazy and ignorant.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Fiction has historically played a very important role in influencing public opinion, for better or worse. Think Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Jungle, etc. It's always going to be A Thing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Agreed, taking a human life is dope as gently caress.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Cole posted:

I still maintain that just because something is based on something, it does not have to 100% follow it to a T.

You've made like 50 posts complaining about the inaccuracy of The Hurt Locker.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I think, that killing people, is bad.

I also, think, that American Sniper is, bad, but not for, that reason.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Can't wait for Oliver Stone's Juba The Baghdad Sniper film.

Same

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Astrochicken posted:

the movie was alright

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

This thread is proof that the terrorists won.

• Locked thread