Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Been playing a lot of MSMG heli lately and the new legs are hilariously easy to shoot off. I've started calling them Lt. Dans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It is ridiculously easy to launch yourself off ramps with those legs. I don't know how many times I accidentally sent myself into cartwheels because I ran backwards too fast up a hill. Combined with rocket launcher and shot guns is a good time.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Always have hover backups with legs, if only for the wonderful added stability it offers.

The new Sprinter legs are absolutely perfect for how I was handling my main bot, and it fixed my only real issue with stompy legs (they're a little flimsy but I've only once so far lost both legs so time will tell if the speed makes up for the loss in health)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Stretch Marx posted:

It is ridiculously easy to launch yourself off ramps with those legs. I don't know how many times I accidentally sent myself into cartwheels because I ran backwards too fast up a hill. Combined with rocket launcher and shot guns is a good time.

You have to crouch a bit when going up and down slopes to keep yourself steady. Doing that limits you to about roughly the speed of a normal mech. Useful when you don't want to lunge.

Colon Semicolon posted:

Always have hover backups with legs, if only for the wonderful added stability it offers.

The new Sprinter legs are absolutely perfect for how I was handling my main bot, and it fixed my only real issue with stompy legs (they're a little flimsy but I've only once so far lost both legs so time will tell if the speed makes up for the loss in health)

Sadly hovers combine terribly with sprinter legs because they will slow you down to 'over-encumbered hover' speed. They take off like 20 mph of your legs and also screw up your jumps and lunges. I'm pretty sure at this point the best backup to have for a runner is actually a tank tread or two that are held off the ground until your flimsy legs get blown to hell.

If you play conservatively with sprinters they can use that lunge pretty drat well to dive behind cover, even when on a last leg. Really annoying to arrange in a 'horse' fashion though, their placement hitboxes are narrow but extremely long and tall.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I don't mind the flipping actually. A lot of the time it's hilarious especially if you kick flip off someone. My main regular Mech has my rail guns and lasers which I use when I feel like sniping. The sprinter legs are more for raiding and loving with people.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Bluhman posted:

Sadly hovers combine terribly with sprinter legs because they will slow you down to 'over-encumbered hover' speed. They take off like 20 mph of your legs and also screw up your jumps and lunges. I'm pretty sure at this point the best backup to have for a runner is actually a tank tread or two that are held off the ground until your flimsy legs get blown to hell.

If you play conservatively with sprinters they can use that lunge pretty drat well to dive behind cover, even when on a last leg. Really annoying to arrange in a 'horse' fashion though, their placement hitboxes are narrow but extremely long and tall.

I'm a bit of an odd case where I have 3 of the highest tier hovers on my bot and it's rather light, (it's only like 5 blocks thick and lots of it is hollow) so it doesn't really affect me much. I can definitely see what you're saying though, it makes jumping forward a tad weird on landings.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I made this after I tried putting a small flak gun on my dual chaingun runner, realizing that it was really effective. I went into this thinking it would be absolute garbage, but... somehow I'm winning matches with this thing? I feel weird about this because I deliberately made it the gaudiest piece of poo poo, and now I'm stuck playing it because it's way too good. Damage counts into the 10-15k range on TDM usually.

If you guys wanna try it, I listed it on the factory as 'Kidz Bop' because it's name needed to be as stupid as it looks.

Sair
May 11, 2007

How often do you end up actually using the tread?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
not many folks ever seem to play much that I've noticed anyway. clan is usually only got 2 or 3 people on max.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Yeah, I just checked and there's only about 3,100 playing right now throughout Steam.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, I sometimes jump in, fiddle with a design, then get ruined in game by dudes with weapons I don't have (or really boring yet durable Sexy Mech Legs builds), then I just close and play a different game vOv

I do like Robocraft, but I simply don't care to do the grind and RNG it takes to get some of the better stuff, and without those things any sort of neat design takes up enough CPU to fight things -with- those weapons.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm really considering ditching this and going over to Machinecraft. yeah it's not a competitive game, but you certainly have a much more robust and interesting tools and you don't really have to try to make something strong if you don't want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSTXBfS7EA

It's really cool, albeit sorta janky because it's just a multiplayer fighting sandbox/hangout.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Is anybody having problems with the server? I keep getting "Unable to load clan" issue as well as sometimes it's unable to get currency info from the server.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rorac posted:

Is anybody having problems with the server? I keep getting "Unable to load clan" issue as well as sometimes it's unable to get currency info from the server.

It worked okay for me yesterday, but I just jumped in and played a single game.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The holiday game mode, which is no-heals team elimination, seems to be extremely popular and also quite good.

The presents scattered around the map greatly improve it as well.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 17, 2016

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I spent like 400 hours in this game before they forced trough the energy update and multi guns.
It has been steadily going downhill ever since. the player numbers kind of show the same.

Bots die real fast now there's hardly any back and forth, all game modes have become a super fast mess of things happening without any sort of order to it all.

It's a bad game now and I'm afraid they went down too far into adding random poo poo to this game instead of just refining the original smg/rail/plasma/heal gameplay that was actually fun.
Chances are in a year or two they'll close up shop due to lack of money coming in.

But drat it it was fun once, and after getting colors all I ever wanted was maybe more cube shapes and more maps. I'll miss my Dunking Jordan bot and my Initial D drifting Trueno and all the other art bot crap I build and managed to be effective with(yes before the energy bullcrap a giant jumping and dunking basketball player that shot plasma out of the basketball was actually effective and strong).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Robos

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I mostly just come back to Robocraft nowadays just to see whatever new game mechanic or item they add does.

The newest mobility type introduced (propellers) kind of reflects a lot of the errors they're making. Was intended to help people create heavy hard-to-kill planes. Surprise, people end up using them to create propeller box drones that are about as responsive as jet drones are but they're way more difficult to kill due to armor. Come on, they're supposed to lift and accelerate heavyweight planes through the air, why do they start and stop on a dime?

Also, propellers on tanks let them move at 200 mph and propellers on mechs let them jump about 10 times their normal height. Which is fun, but really broken.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just started playing and all the guides I am finding seem to be out of date. There doesn't seem to be a tech tree anymore and a lot of other stuff doesn't apply.

As far as I can tell the only way to get new blocks/weapons/etc is from crates or buying in the forge. And the only way to get the currency to buy in the forge seems to be recycling stuff you already own, therefore you can only get new stuff by getting crates and recycling what you don't need. Am I missing something? It seems like it is going to be a hella slow grind to get to any of the good stuff this way?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

D-Pad posted:

It seems like it is going to be a hella slow grind to get to any of the good stuff this way?

This is why I hate the crate system and do not understand why they decided to go with it. Apparently this is still easier than playing multiple games to level-up yourself to go through the tech tree, but my intuition is that you'll consistently be getting a ton of stuff that you don't need or want, and basically just not enough stuff to really experiment and find out what works.

Really all I can tell you is that you'll need to fight a lot, gather up junk from your reward crates, and recycle stuff you have surpluses of. Inevitably you're going to end up with a huge pile of green commons that you'll never want to use, so best put that towards getting a module or other worthwhile set of components. Also never sell chassis blocks, it isn't worth it and you'll usually find some kind of design or function to use them with.

I can verify that this guide is up to date, though. Mainly because I make an effort to update it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bluhman posted:

This is why I hate the crate system and do not understand why they decided to go with it. Apparently this is still easier than playing multiple games to level-up yourself to go through the tech tree, but my intuition is that you'll consistently be getting a ton of stuff that you don't need or want, and basically just not enough stuff to really experiment and find out what works.

Really all I can tell you is that you'll need to fight a lot, gather up junk from your reward crates, and recycle stuff you have surpluses of. Inevitably you're going to end up with a huge pile of green commons that you'll never want to use, so best put that towards getting a module or other worthwhile set of components. Also never sell chassis blocks, it isn't worth it and you'll usually find some kind of design or function to use them with.

I can verify that this guide is up to date, though. Mainly because I make an effort to update it.

Yeah this has already turned me off this game. Check out Galactic Junk League. It is a new ftp game similar to robocraft but in space. I am having a ton of fun with it and it seems a lot better than Robocraft.

• Locked thread