Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't been playing very much for a while but I might be more likely to with a clan. I pretty much only play Battle Arena so my bots are heavily oriented to that mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My next hope for weapons would be artillery BUT you don't get a satellite view. Just bombard the gently caress out of the landscape.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I haven't been playing very much for a while but I might be more likely to with a clan. I pretty much only play Battle Arena so my bots are heavily oriented to that mode.

Yeah, same here. It's really frustrating when my teammates are too inept to go after towers and instead just pretend like it's a Deathmatch game, so it'll be nice to play with people who have voice chat and are not incompetent.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yeah, same here. It's really frustrating when my teammates are too inept to go after towers and instead just pretend like it's a Deathmatch game, so it'll be nice to play with people who have voice chat and are not incompetent.

Perhaps you are mistaken about what a goon is.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Stretch Marx posted:

I've never made one but every laser frisbee I've seen is usually covered in jet engines in all 4 directions so they can quickly zip in and out. I did see one guy who had a robot that had its engines in a swastika shape with a pair of laser blades and just spun around like a ninja star in the air. Pretty easy to shoot out of the sky but still hilarious to see.

Shuriken builds are basically FOTM right now. Hell, one even appears that the end of the intro cinematic of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJtkaCMKy7Y

Most are built basically as a big vertical wheel with thrusters alongside its inner edge. and central thrusters pointing inward on the sides to maintain altitude. They take a lot of damage since they constantly rotate out components and are weirdly easy to control.

Other FOTM notes for returning players:
  • Mechs are the only ground mobility worth using now
  • Mechs can fly if they are half-helicopter or have a crapton of thrusters
  • Tanks and cars get repeatedly screwed by shurikens, LOMLs on air units, and chain shredders.
  • Speaking of, the Chain Shredder's actually really good once you know how to ambush with it by winding up in advance.
  • EMP module is unbelievably awful and every single person I've seen trying to use it basically accomplished nothing by doing so.
  • Nobody cares about struts because it turns out aerorods are about as strong and are infinitely more light. In fact, aerorods are just as durable as chassis block for block and are insanely good, use them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I made a clan. It's invite-only, so PM me or post here and I'll add you. Once we have 10 members, the clan avatar will show up:

It doesn't accept transparent backgrounds (well, it does, but it turns the transparent portion into white).

Frustratingly, the name is six characters minimum, so it's called -Goon-. If anyone has a better suggestion (please, have a better suggestion, someone) I'd love to go under that name instead.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Invite Fravash, please.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd like to join, although I haven't been playing much lately.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd like to join, although I haven't been playing much lately.

What's your IGN?

Inzombiac posted:

Invite Fravash, please.

Sent.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

wowo drat what the hell happened to this game since megabots?

people are talking about drops and crazy poo poo like blink!?

love it

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bacon Hat posted:

wowo drat what the hell happened to this game since megabots?

people are talking about drops and crazy poo poo like blink!?

love it

Things are way different since Megabots. You should hop in and give it a try.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What's your IGN?

CaptainSarcastic

I am nothing if not consistent.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Pick me up, just Bluhman ingame.

HipBEE
Apr 27, 2014
I play this game sometimes. send hipbee an invite

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I also play occasionally, send theshortestpath an invite

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
add Gebloner to clan too. I may not play much now but that will probably change if I can play with a consistent group.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 7, 2016

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Send an invite to SailorDave, please.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

CaptainSarcastic

I am nothing if not consistent.

Bluhman posted:

Pick me up, just Bluhman ingame.

HipBEE posted:

I play this game sometimes. send hipbee an invite

The Shortest Path posted:

I also play occasionally, send theshortestpath an invite

Colon Semicolon posted:

add Gebloner to clan too. I may not play much now but that will probably change if I can play with a consistent group.

Sailor Dave posted:

Send an invite to SailorDave, please.

Sent.

Fun fact: the backspace and delete keys do not work when sending a clan invite, and you can't highlight text. Don't make a mistake typing in usernames.

e: almost there! two more and we get avatars

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Might as well join in, please add me to the clan. I at least log in every day for the freebies. IGN is the same as here.

edit: Thanks!

Denzine fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 8, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Go ahead and add me as well, IGN same as it is here.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I'll get in on the fun. Add me with the same username without the space in between.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Denzine posted:

Might as well join in, please add me to the clan. I at least log in every day for the freebies. IGN is the same as here.

edit: Thanks!

Astroniomix posted:

Go ahead and add me as well, IGN same as it is here.

Stretch Marx posted:

I'll get in on the fun. Add me with the same username without the space in between.

Sent!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How do we get the clan avatar? I logged in today and briefly looked, but didn't see a clear way to add it. Do I need to spring for Premium for at least a day or something to add it?

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Can I grab an invite? IGN same as here.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Tulenian posted:

Can I grab an invite? IGN same as here.

Yep, sent. I'm also promoting everyone to officers so invites can be sent when I'm not online.

e: I have made some improvements to my primary bot. Now it's faster (but still not fast) and has one extra plasma - and a nano constructor, which has come in handy several times already. Approximately 2m HP total, but it's controllable until 20-30% unless they target my rotors, which doesn't happen very often for some reason. It might be the dozen guns that are all frontloaded, but they're triforced so they don't come off easily. I can usually kill one bot, scare off two or three, or rush 4-5 and come out of it very alive. It's flat enough that I can hide in a lot of places, and the LOML is perfect for A2A combat. It's also the reason it's so slow - those launchers are very heavy.
https://gfycat.com/TerribleExcellentGrayfox

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 9, 2016

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Whoever suggested using struts in place of blocks for arms was dead on. So much better. Also apparently they added a goldeneye to the game. I haven't been hit by it but it's funny when it lands on top of someone.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

One of the really nice things about rods is that you can double up on armor density by placing sloped prisms on top of the rods. They just fit right over. It's great for making armored extensions for things like gun mounts.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sudo Echo posted:

One of the really nice things about rods is that you can double up on armor density by placing sloped prisms on top of the rods. They just fit right over. It's great for making armored extensions for things like gun mounts.

That's a really good tip, thanks.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
clan is great and all but not so much when nobody's on to go steamroll dorks with.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I somehow keep missing other goons when I'm online. The game's new chat system is kind of confusing.

Stretch Marx posted:

Whoever suggested using struts in place of blocks for arms was dead on. So much better. Also apparently they added a goldeneye to the game. I haven't been hit by it but it's funny when it lands on top of someone.

It's sad that Rods still outdo Struts in so many ways. I'd be more inclined to use Struts if they had connectors on the whole end part of their structure, but right now they're just larger and heavier rods with no extra HP per cube taken up.

It's more of a sign of how overpowered Rods are, because 3 rods for 1 strut will have 3 times as many connecting points (more difficult to fully detach what's on the other side), only a fraction of the weight, and the exact same armoring HP. Probably the only thing that a Strut does better at is protecting whatever is behind it for longer.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Even that's not true, you can't actually shoot through a wall of rods despite the huge visual gaps. All parts have full cube hit boxes in match for performance reasons.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Sudo Echo posted:

Even that's not true, you can't actually shoot through a wall of rods despite the huge visual gaps. All parts have full cube hit boxes in match for performance reasons.

Nah, I know about that part. I was talking more about how a strut will take 3x the damage as a single aerorod, during which it will block shots for all of the cubes it takes up. A precise shot to a single aerorod repeatedly for that third of damage can make a gap in your armor that can be shot through to damage the interior of the bot. That's all I really meant by 'protects whatever is behind it for longer'.

In practice, especially against stuff like explosions and rapidfire, that usually doesn't come into play. A larger target is just a larger target.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 17, 2016

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
So I decided to see if I could make a mech warrior catapult with a pair of rocket launchers. Does not make friends.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I haven't played this in several months, can someone give me quick rundown on the weapons now? Do the different sizes act any differently from each other?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sair posted:

I haven't played this in several months, can someone give me quick rundown on the weapons now? Do the different sizes act any differently from each other?

Laser: Six tiers. The same old SMG you know and love. Energy cost is reasonable, so this is a good harassment weapon. At the same time, if you burst fire and aim carefully, it can work well out to the medium range. Small zoom modifier. Smaller sizes fire faster, from 8 guns at 16 shots per second (Wasp) to 4 guns at 6.31 per second (Disintegrator). Has a Legendary version, Leviathan, which maxes at 2 guns/5 shots per second but deals 22k per hit (compared to Disintegrator at 12.5k per hit).

Plasma: Six tiers. New plasma: more projectile drop, slower projectiles, larger splash radius, new splash damage mechanic. Harder to hit with but more damaging than you do compared with old plasma. 2 guns max, 4.17 (Pulser) to 1.54 (Devastator) shots per second. Has a Legendary version, Goliathon, with 0.93 max shots per second and 181k damage (compared to the 90k of Devastator). Larger splash radius with larger sizes I think, but have not confirmed.

Rail: Three tiers. Sniper rifle. Actually fairly effective now, and shots while moving are more stable. If you time your shots well you can do quite a bit of damage on one energy bar. 1.31 to 1.33 shots per second and 8 to 6 guns max. Lower tier guns do less damage. :effort:

Nano: Three tiers. Medic gun with no zoom, but auto aim mode (at reduced speed) or manual aim mode (at increased energy cost and faster heal rate). I guess the higher tier nanos don't shoot as fast but that's more than made up for by their increased healing rate. 6-4 guns max for 10-4.4 shots per second max.

Flak: Two tiers. Shoots a medium speed projectile that explodes when in close proximity with aircraft. Absolute homewrecker if used correctly, but it will make you a huge target for bombers, and some aircraft can dodge or simply tank your shots while they kill you. 4-2 guns for 1.59-1.67 shots per second. The T2 version is unequivocally more powerful but it's much larger.

Proto: One tier. Locks on quickly to shoot a stream of bees at enemy craft. You have to stay locked on, and the bees don't do a lot of damage. This gun deals extra damage to shields, so it is a good way to take down some bots, and I've heard that a 4-proto drone can be quite devastating even in high CPU matches. 10 shots per second alone, or 20 shots per second with four guns. 3.7k damage per hit, but it adds up - that's 74k per second with four guns or more. However, as each gun is 100 CPU, that is a substantial pFlop investment.

LOML: One tier. Slow lock-on to shoot slow missiles that deal moderate damage. Once again you must stay locked on, and there are counters; stealth, teleport, or shield modules all counter missiles effectively. Useful for taking down big heavy aircraft, especially after they fire their weapons so they're at your mercy. Also useful for taking down fast ground hovers and drones, as long as you can keep them in the open long enough to lock on. 2.67/3.33 shots per second with one or two guns.

Ion: Two tiers. It's a shotgun! As you might expect, it's only useful up close. However, it's the best weapon in the game if you can get an enemy within your reach. It chews a big chunk out of whatever you hit. 4-2 max guns for 2 shots per second. However, the Legendary deals 248k damage per shot. Very effective on small hovers with stealth and extra power.

Shredder: One tier. Think chaingun or gatling gun. One gun has nearly as high of a fire rate as two, at 18.99 or 20 shots per second. 12k damage - this thing hurts if the wielder gets a good bead on you.

Tesla: Three tiers. If you touch it while it's active, it deals damage, and a lot of it. Lately people have been using these to create constantly-spinning drones, which are extremely effective in the right hands because new blades are constantly exposed. High damage, too, 45-88k every time one hits you.

e: What's your name in Robocraft? I'll send you an invite to the clan.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 25, 2016

Sair
May 11, 2007

Thanks, I guess I don't need 6 plasmas on my bombers anymore.

I'm lunartaxi in game.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Most of this is pretty correct. Though it misses some of the smaller details:

In general: The larger the weapon you take, the more energy you use per shot, but the more damage and effect you get. The CPU in your bot build (that is, how complex it is) determines how much energy you have.

Lasers: The two smallest sizes, wasp and hornet, use up less energy than you generate at full 1750 CPU. Excellent backup weapons on basically any build. High-tier SMGs can be excellent main weapons when paired with a power booster. Secretly the best weapon in the game IMO, can fight against anything else except maybe the extreme close-ranged weapons (Ion and Tesla)

Plasma: Explosions do get larger as you rise in tier. Currently, there's some pirate event going on that's turned Plasmas into extremely-arcing cannonball shooters that do stupid damage but travel really slowly, basically making them close-ranged weapons for raping all ground-based bots.

Rail: Bloom only occurs when in midair and moving. If you're moving fast across the ground or manage to stay still in midair, the rail has perfect accuracy. Annoyingly holding down the fire button at all will produce bloom.

Nano: The smallest nanos use no energy, making them perfect for backup healing while behind cover with friends. Mid-tier is best for general healing builds, and largest drains energy super-fast but is amazing for emergency rescue.

Flak: IIRC, The larger Flak does not do any more damage than the small one, and only fires faster per gun. Very difficult to build with.

Shredder: It's an ambush weapon that only is really useful at mid-closerange due to shot bloom. If someone's coming at you with it, back off and they're nearly harmless.

edit: There's also this guide that explains how stuff is in the game at the moment, to the best of my ability. Also includes stuff on modules.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 26, 2016

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I've been messing around with a walker that only has a pair of LOML for weapons and learned a few things.

A - You can dumb fire the missiles and will, most of the time, hit within your circle.
B - The launchers themselves are actually pretty beefy and can be used to suppress the poo poo out of enemy snipers and aircraft. I've been able to tank a few times for a groups pushing towers simply my pummeling the crap out of robots at close range.
C - The LOML are awful at taking towers.
D - People panic very easily and you can bait them into using their cloaks and blinks by simply firing one or two missiles. It's like they think I magically forget I was looking right at them. Reacquire lock and blam.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Short trip report on the new Sprinter Legs.

They're pretty fast and super fun to use. Still have infinite carry weight. Overclock does not increase speed, but does increase jump height, which balances it a little bit against hovers and cruisers I guess.

They use a long jump when jumping while moving forward at max. speed. Propels them even faster forward, but no trajectory control and you're immobile for like a half-second after landing. Overall, repeated leaps move at the same speed as just running to a place. They might jump slightly lower than normal mechs? I can't tell.

Super easy to disable, huge targets, less net health than normal mech legs. They also don't play as nice with hovers as normal mech legs do, as hovers kind of ruin their long-jump.

Overall super-solid options for Chain Shredder and Ion Distorter. Pretty good medics and SMG users as well. Not nearly as good at aerial fighting or stability as normal mechs are, so plasma and rail aren't as good on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The sprinter legs are hillarious with the missile launchers simply because you can back peddle faster than most things run forward and almost always stay at range. Plus getting lock, long jumping over them, and then putting a bunch of missiles in their rear end is always funny. Going to try them with a pair of ion distortors.

• Locked thread