Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seams posted:

Replace Agar with Zampa imho

Average of 47.90 at FC level.

At this point we seem to have a few long term lovely FC spinners like Zampa, Mitchell Swepson who hasnt shown himself good at test level (Still good enough at FC that I dont understand why Agar got selected before him) and a couple of less than 10 FC games that have promise like Todd Murphy and Tanveer Sangha - Sangha possibly would be on the plane to India as a project player if he wasnt out with stress cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

garycoleisgod posted:

Looking at the other spin options available in Australia and the pickings are slim.

Chris Green? Only played a couple of FC games.

Mitch Swepson? Seems he didn't impress in Pakistan/Sri Lanka last year seeing as they went with Agar for the SCG

Corey Rocchiccioli? Who the gently caress is Corey Rocchiccioli?

Spin bowling, either playing it or bowling it doesn't seem to be Australia's go.

If you really want to be scared about the tours to India and England this year, only three current players have made test hundreds in either of those countries. Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell* and Matthew Wade** and only one of those is going to tour there.

I'm saying both India and England will murder Australia regardless of who get's picked as second spinner for India.

*1 hundred in India, injured and wouldn't be selected anyway

**2 hundreds in England, done for tests, they'll never pick him again

Australia will smash England to pieces in the ashes and everyone loses to India in India because they're cheats and doctor the poo poo out of pitches. It will always be thus.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Agar is just such poo poo

Yeah it was pretty clear today why he’s played five tests in nine years - he’s Not Very Good. I realise he’s being blooded for the India tour, but he was less threatening today than either Head or Marnus. Would prefer those two backing up Lyon with the three quicks + Green in India I think.

Also - Lyon bowled well today without much luck, but we really need to drop this idea that he’s a great fourth innings bowler. He’s genuinely a excellent bowler, but I honestly can’t remember a time when he’s spun us to victory in the fourth innings.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BlindSite posted:

Australia will smash England to pieces in the ashes and everyone loses to India in India because they're cheats and doctor the poo poo out of pitches. It will always be thus.

Doctor the pitches in a way that each side effectively plays on a different pitch or that the pitch suits their game?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I just saw David Warner got player of the series for 0, 3, 200, 10. Yep, great series mate.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BOON SUPREMACY represent!

Those Warner numbers look positively Crawley-esque.

In the team for the next 5 years.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Airstream Driver posted:

I just saw David Warner got player of the series for 0, 3, 200, 10. Yep, great series mate.

I’d be annoyed about it if those awards actually meant anything, but yeah - ludicrous decision

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I was trying to figure it out and then heard that the host broadcaster is the one who decides those awards.

Which is Fox Sports, who just signed Warner to do commentary for them in the future. Nothing sus!

It doesn't matter but it is really funny, if they just gave it to Head or Cummins or Smith everyone just shrugs and says "yeah, ok" but now people are all wtf, hilarious.

Shades of Billy Slater getting man of the series in Origin in 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I thought NZ were on their way to a great total in the T20 against 'Stan at 220/7, turned out to be an ODI

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's Pakistan though. All results are still very much alive.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Peter Hatzoglou has a shocking action.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

gently caress, the test season 2 is pretty fantastic.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Is it the lack of elite mateship?

I am really enjoying the SA20, it's what I wish the The Hundred was

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I watched the first 3 episodes and really enjoyed it. I actually like that it's basically a puff piece rather than trying to stir up drama. Watching Steve Smith just exist is a treat, as is watching Warner lose his poo poo when he gets out.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
can’t see why the players would be keen to see the back of this guy

https://twitter.com/paigecaunce/status/1613588812545888270?s=46&t=GxNTyZ1x20i5i0UzhT-O-w

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
:lol: at telling a room full of the best cricketers in the nation "none of you are good enough yet to have theories [on how to play]."

How many years of cricket at the top level before they will, Langer?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cmndstab posted:

:lol: at telling a room full of the best cricketers in the nation "none of you are good enough yet to have theories [on how to play]."

How many years of cricket at the top level before they will, Langer?

This reminds me of the old Ian Chappel quote that said something along the lines of the team Coach was the thing they drove around in on tour.

Because if they haven't learned how to play Cricket by the time they are in the national side, then when will they?
And if the Coach is going to make all the tactical decisions, i.e. Field placements for batsmen, when to make bowling changes etc.. what is the Captain for?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The coach should be there for a few basic functions. Having a voice on selection, setting the overall tactical direction, enacting discipline when required, and otherwise just being a motivational figure for the players.

Considering every cricketer nowadays is at least Gen Y, coming into a room just ranting and raving and swearing at them and telling them they're all soft and dumb probably isn't the best way to achieve anything.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I think you'll find that because we won the Ashes with a glowering little psychopath stalking around spewing quotes from motivational posters, that is in fact the correct way to coach.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
He certainly comes across well. Even better than in the first series!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i always get mad when people have loving theories coming out of their loving brains

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Umm what?

BBL game they just hit the roof and now its a 6 and not dead?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/wisdencricket/status/1613925696316776450?s=46&t=-Fj5CvoAHh68nlTeo0ofxQ

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

“Dictionary, show me a yorker.”

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Swung a bit.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

There are 5 t20 tournaments going on at the moment, it's great.

SA20 is looking really high quality with a lot of the current best players playing
ILT20 is surprisingly high quality with a lot of old guard West Indians
BBL is dragging on a bit, won't be done for another 3 weeks! Otherwise it is a great development league for the Aussies
BPL is also doing a great job getting some miles into the Bangers players
Super Smash doing the same for the kiwis

All in all a lot of very interesting cricket is happening.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Can't tell if you're being serious.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

notaspy posted:

There are 5 t20 tournaments going on at the moment, it's great.

SA20 is looking really high quality with a lot of the current best players playing
ILT20 is surprisingly high quality with a lot of old guard West Indians
BBL is dragging on a bit, won't be done for another 3 weeks! Otherwise it is a great development league for the Aussies
BPL is also doing a great job getting some miles into the Bangers players
Super Smash doing the same for the kiwis

All in all a lot of very interesting cricket is happening.

source your quotes

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Welcome back to the BBL Warner lol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I hope that the Cape Town Superchargers, Melbourne Superchargers, Dubai Superchargers, Fortune Superchargers and Canterbury Superchargers all do well today.

GO T20!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Lankers on track for a record ODI defeat

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ooof, that'll sting.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Good innings by Renshaw.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Someone has seen Get Confident, Stupid with Troy McClure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pant is still in hospital. He must be pretty hosed up.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Watched the test doco last night and pretty hosed up to learn marnus immediately puts his cheese toasties in the fridge because he prefers them cold.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Watched the test doco last night and pretty hosed up to learn marnus immediately puts his cheese toasties in the fridge because he prefers them cold.

Yeah I watched it a few days ago and that was a super :dogstare: moment

I actually think the person coming out of it the best is Khawaja, just a super chilled guy who’s happy with his career and stoked that he gets a second chance. Plus of course the stuff about him growing up as a young Muslim kid, feeling isolated and without much support to face off bullies and prejudice. And I loved the anecdote of the Pakistan bowlers loudly discussing their plans, forgetting that he can understand Urdu and thus knows exactly what they’re about to bowl.

Also lolling at Pat Cummins a) wearing glasses, b) being a voracious reader, but also c) apparently defining “reading” as endlessly going through the Harry Potter series :lmao:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

My OP.is coming along nicely, of a bit long.

Well very long. Fitting when you think about it.

My aim is for the 8th anniversary of the current OP.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Will Spoonboy's song be an imbed or a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

thread title needs to go back another year too