Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Can't take that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

elgar could have been out about 6 times in that innings, been absolutley nowhere this series

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
lmao quality leave there

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Phwoar cumdog

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Holy poo poo lol my FIL just told me he's stopped watching Australia play cricket since they started taking a knee at the start of matches. He just walked past and said "I see Cummins is still sponsored by Alinta".

Cummo owning him everywhere.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Why the gently caress is Warner wearing two hats, at first I thought he was just holding a bowler's hat but he's had both on for the whole day now

(he's wearing his baggy green on top of a Warne-style floppy hat)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Airstream Driver posted:

Holy poo poo lol my FIL just told me he's stopped watching Australia play cricket since they started taking a knee at the start of matches. He just walked past and said "I see Cummins is still sponsored by Alinta".

Cummo owning him everywhere.

:sever:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gotta love big Hazeo

Agar has been pretty crap so far imo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Agar is getting time because they’re taking him to India as a spinner

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Seams posted:

Agar is getting time because they’re taking him to India as a spinner

I miss SOK.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Cumdog is absolutely on fire this spell

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Well looks like good weather tomorrow so should be a thrilling finish

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Fanatic posted:

Well looks like good weather tomorrow so should be a thrilling finish

Yeah it looks like good weather tomorrow so I’m gunna head down - helps that entry is only a gold coin donation rather than overpriced Ticketek junk

edit; though I think it’s probably 85% chance of a draw

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I gotta at some point question Australia's team selection for this test.

They knew it was going to be a rainy test, south Africa can't take 10 wickets to save their life. They can't make 200 to save their life.

Why not take the extra quick and just move Carey up the order one spot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
South Africa reaching 200 feels like a moral victory right now, which everyone knows is the best kind of victory.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Welp looks like the SA tail got their poo poo together finally.

BlindSite posted:

They knew it was going to be a rainy test, south Africa can't take 10 wickets to save their life. They can't make 200 to save their life.

Yeah, seems like an odd choice selecting Renshaw just to bat at 6.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013
Cummins not declaring at 0/0 this afternoon would be pure cowardice.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

TheLoneAmigo posted:

Cummins not declaring at 0/0 this afternoon would be pure cowardice.

He may not have to. 23 runs is looking like a lot right now with only 2 wickets left.

Also LOL at Harmer, batting at 8 having the longest innings for SA in this test.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

BlindSite posted:

Renshaw at 6 makes more sense if they went with Boland or even gave Morris a debut instead of Ashton 'first class average 41.84' Agar.

As it is they're basically playing with three bowlers.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Time to build a stadium in Alice Springs?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

To defend Agar's inclusion:

They didn't expect to lose *that* much time to rain. I mean seriously, given maybe 1 1/2 extra sessions, Australia could comfortably wrap it up.

And with the series already won, and the only thing to gain being a whitewash, it is good to get a little match practice into your 2nd spinner before a tour of India.

Not going to lie though, Agar is poo poo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also LOL at Harmer, batting at 8 having the longest innings for SA in this test.

Longest innings for SA in the series :laugh:

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I know the commentators think they have to fill space, but the channel 7 guys even raising the possibility that Cummins wouldn't enforce the follow-on is literally the dumbest commentary I have ever heard.

Like, your knowledge of cricket would have to be negative to think he would bat again "Hey, let's waste some of the very few overs we have left on batting for no reason"

Mother of god

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

At what point can you declare?

Do you need to pad up etc.?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

To defend Agar's inclusion:

They didn't expect to lose *that* much time to rain. I mean seriously, given maybe 1 1/2 extra sessions, Australia could comfortably wrap it up.

And with the series already won, and the only thing to gain being a whitewash, it is good to get a little match practice into your 2nd spinner before a tour of India.

Not going to lie though, Agar is poo poo.

It would be justifiable if Agar was the 2nd spinner, but he's the fifth best red ball spinner in Australia. If you're being generous.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What player has rode on a single good innings longer?

Tim Southee, Ashton Agar or Stuart Broad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

garycoleisgod posted:

I know the commentators think they have to fill space, but the channel 7 guys even raising the possibility that Cummins wouldn't enforce the follow-on is literally the dumbest commentary I have ever heard.

Like, your knowledge of cricket would have to be negative to think he would bat again "Hey, let's waste some of the very few overs we have left on batting for no reason"

Mother of god

He shouldn't have enforced the follow on and just declared 0/0. Coward!

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
why even have the drs if something that’s that clear doesn’t get through? just go back to umpire only, it’d be quicker

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
imo, all three of the catches this match denied by the third umpire were out, but he hasn't made a mistake, I think the process is just flawed.

They probably need to find a process where those ones are given, like saying, "yeah, the fingers might be split and the grass underneath can touch the ball, but the fingers are under it, good enough, out"

On the other hand, Nathan Lyon might snap and kill someone soon, so maybe it's good they said not out

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

imo, all three of the catches this match denied by the third umpire were out, but he hasn't made a mistake, I think the process is just flawed.

They probably need to find a process where those ones are given, like saying, "yeah, the fingers might be split and the grass underneath can touch the ball, but the fingers are under it, good enough, out"

Yeah 100%, the rule is seriously stupid. Fingers under the ball = out, no further discussion

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Could’ve been a good summer of cricket if SA had showed this kind of fight from day one of the first Test

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Temba bavuma thicc for a cricketer.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

webmeister posted:

Could’ve been a good summer of cricket if SA had showed this kind of fight from day one of the first Test

Yes, it took til the 5th day of the final Test for them to finally learn how to value their wicket :laugh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Agar is just such poo poo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Labu and Smiffy have looked more likely than Agar.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Replace Agar with Zampa imho

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Seams posted:

Replace Agar with Zampa imho

Zampa is apparently a reasonably clever, thoughtful and eloquent person in real life. So it may be a "face doesn't fit" scenario within the Australian team.

But then he is a mainstay in the white ball national teams, where he plays alongside Maxwell and Finch. So if he can dumb himself down enough for those fuckers, surely he could do it with the Test boys.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Zampa is apparently a reasonably clever, thoughtful and eloquent person in real life. So it may be a "face doesn't fit" scenario within the Australian team.

But then he is a mainstay in the white ball national teams, where he plays alongside Maxwell and Finch. So if he can dumb himself down enough for those fuckers, surely he could do it with the Test boys.

This reads like it's a decade old. I doubt they do the face doesn't fit thing anymore.

Zampa is a better bowler than Agar but has also barely played any shield cricket, looks scared of the ball when batting and seems like a bit of a liability in the field.

I think they're hoping Agar will be able to score some runs in India but in this match the part time spinners looked just as likely to take a wicket so it's probably not worth picking him.

Might be better off stacking the team with batters who might go ok in India and rely on the pitches being difficult enough that even part time spin can take wickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Looking at the other spin options available in Australia and the pickings are slim.

Chris Green? Only played a couple of FC games.

Mitch Swepson? Seems he didn't impress in Pakistan/Sri Lanka last year seeing as they went with Agar for the SCG

Corey Rocchiccioli? Who the gently caress is Corey Rocchiccioli?

Spin bowling, either playing it or bowling it doesn't seem to be Australia's go.

If you really want to be scared about the tours to India and England this year, only three current players have made test hundreds in either of those countries. Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell* and Matthew Wade** and only one of those is going to tour there.

I'm saying both India and England will murder Australia regardless of who get's picked as second spinner for India.

*1 hundred in India, injured and wouldn't be selected anyway

**2 hundreds in England, done for tests, they'll never pick him again