Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I think a bit of it was giving Clarke and Faulkner a bit of a stretch.

Starc is bowling a ball attacking the stumps every ball now so he at least wants to go home.

Who wouldn't want to get out of Perth asap, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Drugs posted:

I didn't watch the game but looked at the score and can only assume that it was a game of graceless Australian showboating

I didn't see the end of the Afghan innings (who has a loving day/night game in Perth, honestly), but the Aussies were surprisingly subdued. Maxwell reverse-sweeping a seamer for six over third man was probably the most egregious thing I can think of. I can't think offhand of any overt wicket celebrations or hostile sledging either,which is unusual.

I'd actually say the worst part about the game was Warne and the other Nine idiots in the commentary box

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Drugs posted:

The lack of sledging is, I presume, because David Warner cannot theoretically speak Farsi

Should've played Watto, he's fully fluent in Farcey

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Butch dropping some truth bombs in the sky studio. Butch is pro tier punditry.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

no the answer is to clearly cut a bunch of teams out of the tournament that have been playing reasonable matches against each other instead and completely annihilate the level of international exposure those teams get

then England can have a few more days off to come up with a fresh strategy for how to be poo poo.

And then somehow make the tournament last even longer with fewer teams :psyduck:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

auzdark posted:

Can we have a blank post in future thread with all awesome gifs and pics in it? Ie Warner killing a child, Heals stacking a Segway and Pakistan pants down gif?

I'll take responsibility for this in the next cricket thread (2018)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Zimbers are hustling hard. Hope they do it.

Yeah it's bloody close! I think they'll fall short though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

holy poo poo this game owns

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

welp

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Cracking catch that

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lol @ Brendan Julian

"Maxwell will definitely take this over to get his eye in and assess the situation"

*literally three seconds later the ball's flying over mid-off for four*

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Maxwell is at least always funny, whether he scores runs or not

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

We could be on for 350 here, seems crazy after the early/middle overs

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cpaf posted:

Is... Is this the Wattozone??

The Wattozone is waiting for an unsuccessful LBW review

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That celebration lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Maxwell looks like a tall skinny Justin Langer, how have I never noticed this before

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Finisherd

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gunna need a gif of that watto reaction face

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Compare and contrast:

English PL commentators know in depth every player in every squad in every division in Europe.

Australian cricket commentators can't be arsed learned 8 squads and know less than the average chump on the somethingawful dot com forums.

To be fair, they can't be arsed learning about two squads really, they don't seem to know much about anyone who's not Australia

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lmao what a suicidal run

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Scylo posted:

i still don't really understand why an Australian selector is a commentator

It's a step up from the captain at least

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The most infuriating thing about mark Waugh commentating isn't that he's a selector, it's that he says literally nothing interesting or insightful. It's just 100% pointless banter

If he wasn't a cricketer I'm pretty sure he'd be a labourer spending all his cash betting on the greyhounds

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

I've often thought they could save money by just having the batting team commentate. Even if their English isn't that great.

Especially if their English isn't great

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Great chase from SL even though they didn't win. They made a pretty good game of it!

Someone needs to start a change.org petition to get Mark Waugh off air, he's such a loving hopeless commentator. I wonder what Steve's up to these days, he'd make a cracking commentator imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Drugs posted:

Steve Waugh, international cricket's greatest cheat, would not be a good or objective commentator

Are you kidding, he'd be amazing. "That's poo poo, he's poo poo, that's a shithouse over. Get this bloke off, he's useless"

And the sledges would be top-notch

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

The Australian commentary team is like a cult, they join and all of a sudden their eyes glaze over and they start talking about Big Units and That Time Mark Waugh Hit A Six On The Roof In Perth.

Agreed

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I am looking forward to this spirited clash between plucky cricketing minnows

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

They definitely haven't just taken one.

welp

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bangers will score 300+ imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Yep, rookie mistake forgetting the Big Bat Stat.

You've also gotta factor in the Small Grounds These Days I Tell Ya What Mate

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cpaf posted:

Can anyone here inform me on what might be the most English way to go about a ritual mass suicide? Probably looking at a group of maybe ten or eleven people, all male, so a pretty modest affair as far as the "mass" part of it goes, lol. Thanks.

Another English capitulation. Sad stuff this

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

275 is a par score for England in this tournament so it's set up for a nail biting finish

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Just got out of the cinema and holy loley, England are officially the World's Funniest Team

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

This needs to be quoted on every page

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Drugs posted:

The Queen is Dead

Died of shame I assume

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hey guys, I've got a joke for you!

English cricket!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

This was posted on cricket..com.au's facebook page as "AUSTRALIAN CRICKETER'S SHOCK ANNOUNCEMENT!" :rolleyes:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

auzdark posted:

Saw it via the Cricket AU site too - my first response was 'Holy poo poo Watson finally calling it!' but no.

One day...

Haha, that was my exact response as well!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anyone got access to England's Advanced Stats Computer Database? Wondering if this score is par for this pitch or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looking forward to MS Dhoni padding out his average this afternoon, waiting until the last two overs to hit some sixes and get called a hero