Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Oh yeah absolutely, I think if they started on time this morning Aus would’ve batted another 20-30 mins, but losing the whole session makes that completely untenable.

As bad as SA have batted, I still don’t think there’s enough time to bowl them out twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BlindSite posted:

Three overs in and not a wicket gives me pause though.

Heh

edit; maybe?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Both of these third umpire catch decisions were out. The rule is kinda dumb.

Yeah 100%. Marnus should've been out but this one absolutely should be as well

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lmao quality leave there

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Why the gently caress is Warner wearing two hats, at first I thought he was just holding a bowler's hat but he's had both on for the whole day now

(he's wearing his baggy green on top of a Warne-style floppy hat)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gotta love big Hazeo

Agar has been pretty crap so far imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Cumdog is absolutely on fire this spell

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Fanatic posted:

Well looks like good weather tomorrow so should be a thrilling finish

Yeah it looks like good weather tomorrow so I’m gunna head down - helps that entry is only a gold coin donation rather than overpriced Ticketek junk

edit; though I think it’s probably 85% chance of a draw

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also LOL at Harmer, batting at 8 having the longest innings for SA in this test.

Longest innings for SA in the series :laugh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

imo, all three of the catches this match denied by the third umpire were out, but he hasn't made a mistake, I think the process is just flawed.

They probably need to find a process where those ones are given, like saying, "yeah, the fingers might be split and the grass underneath can touch the ball, but the fingers are under it, good enough, out"

Yeah 100%, the rule is seriously stupid. Fingers under the ball = out, no further discussion

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Could’ve been a good summer of cricket if SA had showed this kind of fight from day one of the first Test

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Agar is just such poo poo

Yeah it was pretty clear today why he’s played five tests in nine years - he’s Not Very Good. I realise he’s being blooded for the India tour, but he was less threatening today than either Head or Marnus. Would prefer those two backing up Lyon with the three quicks + Green in India I think.

Also - Lyon bowled well today without much luck, but we really need to drop this idea that he’s a great fourth innings bowler. He’s genuinely a excellent bowler, but I honestly can’t remember a time when he’s spun us to victory in the fourth innings.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

I just saw David Warner got player of the series for 0, 3, 200, 10. Yep, great series mate.

I’d be annoyed about it if those awards actually meant anything, but yeah - ludicrous decision

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Watched the test doco last night and pretty hosed up to learn marnus immediately puts his cheese toasties in the fridge because he prefers them cold.

Yeah I watched it a few days ago and that was a super :dogstare: moment

I actually think the person coming out of it the best is Khawaja, just a super chilled guy who’s happy with his career and stoked that he gets a second chance. Plus of course the stuff about him growing up as a young Muslim kid, feeling isolated and without much support to face off bullies and prejudice. And I loved the anecdote of the Pakistan bowlers loudly discussing their plans, forgetting that he can understand Urdu and thus knows exactly what they’re about to bowl.

Also lolling at Pat Cummins a) wearing glasses, b) being a voracious reader, but also c) apparently defining “reading” as endlessly going through the Harry Potter series :lmao:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

And the inner ring fielders too, being responsive and athletic somewhere like cover or midwicket can easily turn boundaries into singles or even dots.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BWV posted:

Thanks for all the excellent answers, I sorta forgot about the fielding aspect. That said, this has only strengthened my interest in a guy who looks like this making it big.

https://twitter.com/CricCrazyJohns/status/1615298422764109824?s=20&t=6PqgMiw1GGPfs4X1UDDBQw

now that's what i call a wide mid-on

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

put him in the slips, he'll gobble up everything

he could never be a bowler, looks like he's allergic to cherries

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Preferred fielding position: cow corner

The only drive he’s ever hit is a drive-thru

Okay I’ll stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BlindSite posted:

3 iced coffees, a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, a wallet and a squeezy yoghurt.

Ah, the brickie’s banquet