Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RideTheSpiral posted:

I think the worst part about the Australian commentators is their complete lack of knowledge about any players that aren't Australian. It's pathetic.

It's this, but it is because it is Channel 9 mandated. They aren't allowed to speak negatively about any Australian players, and also it seems that they are actively discouraged from talking about the opposition. If someone takes 7 wickets, or scores 100+ then they may say "well X has done well against the AWESOME AUSSIES" but apart from that it's 100% wall to wall Watto Big Show matey matey blokey bloke wanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Scylo posted:

One day someone needs to set up a commentary team of Warne, Pietersen and Danny Morrison

I know you are trying for "shittest ever commentary" here, but when actual partnerships of Healy, Brayshaw and Nicholas, and Shastri, Gavaskar, and Dean Jones exist, you are going to have to try a bit harder.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A reminder that India are still to win a match on this tour of Aus.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Late on the Shirt chat but I liked the baseball-esque ones in 92, and also the half vertical stripes one. I had a Victoria shirt in that template, and I really loved it. The recent Victoria one-day shirts have been rat poo poo, and I refuse to buy a Stars or Renegades top because I am not 12.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 12, 2015

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Shmoses posted:

This is amazing. I also suspects he edits his own wikipedia entry:

or maybe Brad Haddin does - I hear they're great mates

I'm confused. This wikipedia article doesn't mention how he was seeing them in the nets. I assume he was smashing 'em.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Doctor Cave posted:

That's disappointing, especially the part about the crew getting paid less than Australian rates. Not surprised though, coming from a corrupt organisation like the ICC.

The ICC used to be based in Dubai, so that is likely where they learned the art of importing coolie labour and treating them like dogs.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

You won't go far wrong if you go through your life thinking "Whatever Piers Morgan think/does/is, I shall think/do/be the opposite."

zakharov posted:

Pretty sure Piers would make out with KP if he asked nicely.
Asked nicely? KP had him at 'hello'.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/837545.html

"He's not foreign, and he speaks english, but I will still try and swear at him to prove I am the better cricketer."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

Mark Nicholas blaming the West Indies players 'desire' and how they are all money grubbing IPL wannabees for their recent underperformances, not that the WICB is a shithouse that lies to the players and cheats them out of their money. I wonder why they find the IPL so appealing...

Because it is also a shithouse that lies to the players and cheats them of money whilst the fatcat owners get richer?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

11 off the first ball! YAY MiJo!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is one of teh few times I wish I could hear Shane warne, James Brayshaw and Mike Slater on commentary. Try and justify this belting you overhyped gently caress-knuckles.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Agreed its actually terrible and will ruin test cricket. I'm probably the most biased guy in the thread but I hate cricket Australia.

A while back, but I completely agree. Cricket Australia is the BCCI but without the moustachio twirling supervillany. Just as bad, but they somehow get away with it because of reasons.

And yeah, 'the big 3' concept will hurt Test cricket, but the ICB will find a way to blame the crowds, or teh red ball, or something superfluous whilst teh 5th Ashes in 2 years gets disrupted so there can be a 1 day tri series in India.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

Might want to take your humor meter into the shop. It's out of whack.

*humour*

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Hey, you hang poo poo on MiJo, but credit to him, he just bowled a maiden ball.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

HAHAHA Only thing that would have made that funnier if it was Watson.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Never in doubt.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Just before they get ready to humiliate the arrogant racists, I was wondering if anybody here knows if any of the Afghani players play in the IPL, BBL, CPL etc.?

Surely they would be cheaper than Glen "Big Show" Maxwell, have proved themselves just as good players, (for garbage 20/20 leagues anyway), and would be just as marketable etc.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Scotland have managed to take more Sri Lankan wickets than England.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

Sri Lanka owns because they don't put up with any poo poo from the big countries.

This. Even though he was a fat cheat, I always had respect for Arjuna Ranatunga, because back in the day of the all conquering Aussies, he took a team that was considered a meek minnow, looked the Aussies in the eye, told them to get hosed, and won a World Cup.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Umpire chat: My dad is a proper Umpire, (he used to umpire club cricket in Melbourne, one step down from the state team), and the amount of abuse he copped is not funny. Racial stuff too, since my dad is Indian.

As he got older and stepped down from there, he used to Umpire in the local comp. (MPCA). After the Final, which he umpired, he got abusive phone calls at home from the losing team telling him he was a "disgrace" etc. After reporting it to the Association, there was an inquiry, where it was determined that even though everybody knew who made the call, when and from where, since it was a mobile and in the locker rooms, nothing could be proven and the club and player got off scott free. Dad lost interest in umpiring after that. Oh, and the club in question, still blames Dad for 'dobbing them in'.

So yeah, whilst bad umpiring is bad umpiring and all, I will always take the Umpires side, because you see how retard Warner and smartarse Kohli behave towards each other on the pitch, imagine what they are doing/saying to teh umpire.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

runoverbobby posted:

let's see you throw a leg spinner m8

I'll take a mulligan on that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

webmeister posted:

They're all best mates with the players, of course they won't criticise them

It's not that they're best mates with the players, they are contractually obligated not to say anything bad about the Aus. players, and talk up the mateymateyness of everybody.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

I thought he did OK there. This thread has a lot of channel nine tier punditry.

So we're the bad guys for hating Shane Watson?

Has the world gone topsy turvy?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

I don't think it's that they're not allowed, just that the current Australian commentators were a pack of sledging cheating picks themselves (Gilly aside).

Whilst there is an element of that in it, it is more that they are contractually obliged to not talk down teh Aussies in any way shape or form.

Like Shastri and Gavaskar with the BCCI, only it's teh entire Channel 9 team. And because Cricket Australia has nothing to do with it, (It's all Channel 9 and McNamara's fault), nobody can claim teh conflict of interest that they can with Sunny and Ravi.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Will the ACC be commentating on the Aus vs NZ tests coming up?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I was looking through cricinfo to find out when the next Aus vs NZ test series is, (also some other stuff as I remember seeing something about Aus hosting Bangladesh in the top end this year), and their 'future series' section is shithouse.

Doesn't even have the Boxing Day test on it, (well it has teh SA vs England one). Does anyone know where to find a reliable schedule of future test series?

Cat Terrist posted:

Bring back timeless tests rest days

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Thank you kindly.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

Lmao our three captains are Eoin Morgan, Stuart Broad, and Alistair Cook.

So respectively foreign, a posh prick, and shithouse. Makes sense to combine all three with KP

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Drugs posted:

Can't wait for a generation of poo poo bits'n'pieces all rounders to try to emulate Maxwell

James Hopes, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, etc. This search for an All-Rounder has been going on long before the Show became Big.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I know he has retired and all, but commentary chat is useless without a discussion of Kerry O'Keefe.

I thought he was good to great. But with his loving laugh every five seconds, and him making dad jokes at which he himself could laugh at, I understand how he could be annoying as hell.

Also add Geoff Lawson to Terribad

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

@smurray38 on Twitter posted:
One of the remarkable things about Richie is that you would never have learnt of his cricketing achievements from his own commentary

This. Also, when one of teh other commentators tried to bring up Ritchies accomplishments, he would always be extremely humble about it.

The worlds of sport and broadcasting have lost a titan, but the world has lost a true gentleman.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Byolante posted:

I live in this world of curious mystery about English cricket and how they can keep playing people like Cook and balance when they consistently perform awfully regardlessly of how terrible the opposition is. The current west Indies side by all rights should lose to Scotland let alone one of the big three.

You know how the Australians carry Watson coz he is a great bloke mate that is smashing them in the nets and playing his natural game bewdy bottler cobber? Well the English do the same with Cook, except it is because he went to the right school and has the right accent and his face fits. Also 'Inner steel'.

And yes, both of these reasons are retarded and hosed up and hated by the rank and file fan, but both the ECB and CA give no fucks about them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A little late, but on James Anderson: I reckon England mismanaged him terribly.

During the last Ashes, he was obviously burned out, mentally and physically. But they just kept bowling him into the ground. Grinding him out and allowing the Aussies to keep punishing the pies that his broken down exhausted shadow of a self was serving.

Now certainly he was not the only one on that tour to be worn down, but he was the strike bowler, the main weapon. And he had been so good against teh Australians in previous series.

Then you add this new coaching-by-spreadsheet data analysis to the mix and you have turned a very very good bowler, (if a mouthy oval office), into a pie chucker.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

On run outs:Going old school, Greame Wood was a monster for stupid run outs. And I also remember Watto running out Katich when he was in the 90s, and being as big of a prick about it as you would imagine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Happy 42nd birthday to the cricket world's favourite Pakistani.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

camoseven posted:

Holy poo poo that is amazing. They don't sell beer (or anything, actually) at these matches, but I'll have to try that at the next baseball game I go to!

So beer snakes are purely cricket things? I'm surprised that they don't do that at baseball games, considering the amount of beer that gets drunk and the amount of 'down' time the spectators have when there is nothing to watch.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Dysgenesis posted:

He is the wrong type of dickhead to be in the team.

So you're saying his dickhead doesn't fit?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lionel Richie posted:

You can be poo poo, or you can be a oval office, but you can't be a poo poo oval office.

Counterpoint: Shane Watson.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Brett824 posted:

I can't handle the zebra statue in the background of this pic.

Is it a sponsor thing? Are they competing for the Zebra-Trophy?

Is it an allusion to the fact that NZ are the Black Caps, and England have famously decreed that only white faces 'fit'.?

Or is it just a silly statue at cricket ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

-Spiffy- posted:

Isn't Bhyo an actual 80 year old curmudgeon?

Edit: wrong person.

Don't knock geriatric curmudgeons.

Ian Chappell is one, and is now the only good thing about Channell 9's cricket coverage.

Geoff Boycott is one, and apart from his unfortunate wife beating tendencies, is hilarious