Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

tanglewood1420 posted:

Australian top order cleverly avoiding facing Finn so he doesn't tear through them like the last test. Good strategy imo.

This may actually be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Really dumb shot by Clarke BTW, not necessary at all.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gently caress that ball is moving. England need to slow down, or they'll be effectively batting first on this pitch.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

When did Finn start swinging the ball like this?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Who's the old dude with the stupid sunnies? I can't bear to turn the volume up to find out.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I don't get all those calls for Clarke to retire, he's got the best score for Australia, 10 is the new 100.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

If MJ keeps leaving balls he's going to get dropped next test for not having enough aggression.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

MacDougall posted:

I'd like to see Johnson get bowled leaving on purpose.

Nah, I'd be happy for him to carry his bat. Since he stopped trying to be big bad mitch the enforcer, he's become rather likeable.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

MacDougall posted:

Shut the gently caress up Healy it's not Starc's responsibility to bat properly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

It's disappointing this lack of reviews by the Aussies.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He is being over the top critical

Of the bowlers

Maybe he missed the batsmen actually batting, theirs were most fleeting appearances.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Disappointed the fun seems to be over for the moment

Don't worry, the England openers should be up soon.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hyperriker posted:

I thought Healy always had the shits with Gilchrist for being so much better than him

And that's even before we take cricket into account.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

It was me

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

So, what are England going to do today? Smash it around for a huge total and declare or bat until they get bowled out? Both will result in that huge total but will Cooky attack?

What possible reason do they have to declare? If I had a ticket for day three, I'd want them to go for as long as they can so I get to see some cricket for my ticket. Besides, it's not like this particular Australia side deserves to have any kindness shown to them. Plus there's always the chance one of their bowlers pulls up with an injury if you make them bowl all day.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

drat, there goes our chance of grinding Australia down. Now it'll just be a 300 or so lead.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Could that Demand a Commander ad be a parody? It sure looks like one.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

At least Starc has the good grace to not look too pleased with himself. But well done, he's bowled some good balls, and test cricket bowling is all about taking wickets.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

Haze really needs to work on his consistency, hes not as penetrating as Starc.

I wouldn't say Starc is consistent. He's bowled some rubbish around those good wicket balls of his. Starc is the only one in the Aussie lineup who can genuinely swing the ball and is capable of exploiting the conditions. Hazelwood on the other hand keeps bowling short as if he's at the Gabba.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Let's not be kind to Broad, I mean he's trying his best but that's not a beard

He's having a beard competition with Root, they've both been growing it for the last two years.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"M Ali" describes about a billion people worldwide

And precisely one person in the current England team.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

Woah declaration

Yeah, a bit surprised, guess Cook wants to bowl under the clouds before they clear

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Airstream Driver posted:

Oh god we could be 3 or 4 down by lunch.

Or ten.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

I want someone to write on each batsman's gloves : You don't actually have to play your shots, mate.

Except you're seriously more likely to get dropped for not being aggressive than for not scoring.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

Investing in a Stuart Broad avatar has paid off.

Yeah, I'm on the lookout for a new one, but at least Bell is on the end of mine.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

A short excerpt from an interview with Sanga before his last test series:

"At times, we used to get upset with Muttiah Muralitharan because he always kept smiling at the opposition. I remember one instance when Andrew Flintoff, who was going through a bad patch with the bat, came to Sri Lanka. Murali was getting him out for fun. Freddie came to Galle and Murali told him: 'Freddie, first ball will be an off-break. I'll push mid-on down. Push me there and get a single'. Murali bowled an off-break and Freddie pushed and ran for single, and said 'Thanks Muzza'. Four overs later, Murali got him bowled."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-india-2015/content/story/908499.html

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Negligent posted:

If you were the first a Muslim to play Tests for in Australia you'd be loving nervous too, and it would have nothing to do with the cricket :australia:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

auzdark posted:

drat is there a replay up anywhere??

Just saw a replay on the ABC, she clearly misjudged it, probably a good change of pace by (I think) Perry.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

gabensraum posted:

Ellyse Perry bowled 6-32 in the test. England's women have to win all three Twenty20s to draw the series and retain.

Good to know that a Test match across five days is worth two T20s...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

So the same length as a men's ashes test?

That's actually a very good point. The average length of the men's tests should determine the value of the women's test. That's like mansplaining on a whole new level.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Honesty in journalism.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Holy gently caress, I've never seen that before.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Cave posted:

Robelinda owns. Someone should buy him an account:

He's got a meme as his youtube profile pic.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Even without the torture, he should be arrested for having an 11 year old housemaid. What in the world of gently caress?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

-Spiffy- posted:

I would have expected Sandhu as the "outsider" bowler pick.

Already got a brown player in the squad.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

barely. In other news, Australia's tour to Bangladesh is "postponed" or more likely "cancelled never to be rescheduled"

No big deal, there's another one in the Future Tours Program, I'm sure.

17 years from now.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Burn Down Canberra posted:

They are touring here next year.

I meant Australia going there next time.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Nards Pan posted:

Come the gently caress on India. This match was supposed to entertain me while I got ready for and walked to work.

How long is your walk that you plan a cricket match as entertainment?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

He is going to spend every single minute of this test in the field in 40 degree heat.

Which means this match may have a highlight after all. Cook might break a sweat. We await in bated breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Serious question: How much say does the Prime Minister get in the Prime Minister's XI?

I would be surprised if in the modern era the answer isn't somewhere between zero and none. Howard was the last PM who didn't have to pretend to give a gently caress about cricket. Anyone know if he ever got involved?

Without any actual knowledge, I'd guess the name is there to confer importance to the team beyond simply being the CA board, possibly due to Australian dislike of cricket boards.