Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
This is the cricket thread.
Cricket basics
There are two types of cricket:
    Test cricket (Best cricket)
    Bad cricket –“Limited overs”:
    - One-Day Cricket : 50 Overs
    - DLF Big Bash KFC Big Show Maximum Connor! “T20” Cricket : 20 overs
:siren:World Cup 2015 - FEBRUARY 14 – March 29:siren:
Hosted in Australia and New Zealand, featuring exciting world powerhouses such as Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and England, the world cup is a competition that uses the One-Day format.
I could explain the format but (a) I would do it poorly, (b) the world cup won’t attract new cricket fans and (c) no one reads the OP.
You can ask questions in this thread anyway.

Here is the schedule: http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/fixtures

:megaman:Fantasy League Info:megaman:
Goon League Code: 3300

Teams
Before we go any further it’s important to mention that there are very much two tiers of teams in the world cup. Those with ICC rankings regularly play international games and the rest are from war-torn countries who still play cricket and own.

The “Big Three” – don’t support these teams unless you have to

England

Claims to have invented the sport but are no good at it, and have never won a world cup.
They were, however, very good at imperialism; creating colonies who became very good at the sport so isn’t that what really counts?
They are captained by an Irishman, and traditionally their best players have been South Africans.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: Active, sad.

Australia – 4 times winner

Very good at the format, the Aussies have won the competition a more than any other team and are on home turf.
Largely unlikeable, be sure to look out for blackface in the crowd and post in the thread when you do.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: Active, embarrassed.

India – 2 times winner
The supervillains in the cricket world. Not actually any worse than the other big three but like to be overt about it so gets the attention.
Fans gloss over their inept test team and point to the 1-day side as their primary focus, which still seems pretty poor. With a billion and change people to choose from this is no mean feat.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: None

Good teams, who could win – bandwagon when they do well

South Africa

There are universal constants you can rely on; the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant and South Africa choking in the world cup.
No matter how good their team, or how late in the competition, they will throw it away in a moment that will humble and amaze.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: None, but everyone loves AB and Hashim.

New Zealand

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Bullshit rear end cunts pretending like that wasn't done on purpose. They bowled directly at his body and knew exactly what they were doing. gently caress Australia. gently caress them in their stupid loving asses.

Sharing the home team advantage, lil Australia is on the rise. Coming off various wins in all forms of the sport, they are expecting big things at this world cup.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: Active, adorable.

Sri Lanka – 1 time winner
The world cup is where the ‘lankans really shine. Competent in all forms of the game, they actually are fielding the most experienced team in the competition.

West Indies – 2 times winner
The Windies are a poorly administered team who have lost their way. Lately, extremely talented individuals have carved out a living in the shortest form of the game, T20, and in the process the Test and 1-day team has suffered.
A world cup gave them the opportunity to reconcile and bring the best players together and the administrators obliged by not picking them and pissing off the ones they did.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: Minimal, the romantic favourite.

War-torn countries – support if your government did awful things to/in them

Pakistan – 1 time winner

The Stan, have a successful history in 1-day cricket. The geopolitical landscape makes it difficult for them to piece together a decent team as no one will play them in Pakistan for fear of security.
They also have a poor track record for match fixing which hangs above every poor performance.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: None.

Afghanistan
One of the propaganda stories that came out of Afghanistan, after they have the poo poo bombed out of them, was that cricket was becoming important as a social outlet.
Whether or not that is true, they have managed to turn out a team which have played a few associate level games versus other countries and hopefully will do well.

The minnows – support knowing they won’t win

Bangladesh

The bangers play the occasional test and 1-day series. A cynic would say they only have “test status” because they vote in line with India’s interest. Helpfully this thread is full of cynics.
The bangers are the best bad team. They could steal a wins or two from the established teams.

Zimbabwe

The Zimbers have always been on the cusp of becoming a “test” playing team. The politics of their country and corruption makes it difficult for them to produce a decently skilled team, and when they do people are never sure if they should be supporting them or not.

Ireland
I know nothing about the Irish team. I think at one point they had English and Australian players not good enough for the respective national teams weasel their way in via obscure patronage rules.
Any half decent player ends up in the English side but hopefully they can field a good team.

Scotland
Like Ireland, in recent history they have been qualifying well for the world cup but lack the real depth to field a team that will be competitive.

United Arab Emirates
The UAE has qualified a couple times for the world cup. I know nothing about them sorry. They are better than Canada and the Netherlands I guess.

a real chump fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I avoided mentioning players as it would have tripled the op.

Someone needs to unearth hyperriker because he has me beat when posting about Our Dan.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Also If anyone does a country effort post I will link it in the OP.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Noxin of Shame posted:

Take that cricket thread title curse.

I almost mentioning SA choking in it but figured it would rip space time.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The OP only reflects the community it grew up in.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I like this one too

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Scylo posted:

Voges just killed a bird in the big bash :(

Its not dead but its going to slowly die for our enjoyment.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Holy crap what a catch.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I do think the boundary ropes take the piss a little.

It's meant to encourage poo poo shots, which it does, but I'm not convinced it should reward them.

They should be the limit of where a fielder can go but still only count for 4 runs unless it's over the fence.

That's probably less practical than I think.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao a Finnspirational performance.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
gently caress poo poo Anderson

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
If he does it here, it will be a legitimate Bevo innings.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Bevo...

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao gently caress this team bats deep.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Tasgoon spotted.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Smith saves us again what a shitshow.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha record crowd in Adelaide and its was a complete non contest.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Brett824 posted:

Is there really that much of a home crowd in BBL? Indian fans go crazy about their IPL team but I've never seen many aussies actually care.

The crowds have been mental this year. I dunno what they changed, but I have been more engaged this year than the others.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Hahah Hoggy takes a catch and it sounds like Australia scoring a goal.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qC3HF7wfEc

Do you guys think Warner would still sledge a 14 year old girl?

This is cool as heck.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I was wondering what happens when she bats. Bouncers seems in poor taste but on the other hand gently caress ya.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Added Fantasy info to OP and signed up.

The prices seem a bit too low, you don't really have any reason to choose scrub league players.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Working in software I know exactly what happened.

They almost certainly balanced it properly and then some ICC CEO couldn't pick all his favourite players and made them "fix" it.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Theoretically he doesn't know how big the world is.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha gently caress that was dour stuff in the home run derby. Surely they can afford more than 2 balls per batsman.
Plus the crowd completely dead making it seems worse.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Dunno I think the scorchers are a better bowling unit and weaker batting.

I think they are a better team defending a score.

Plus lousy Smarsh batting.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
This is brilliant captaincy tbh

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Great game. Well done everyone. Holy poo poo what a game.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
That's a loving poo poo throw. Bounce throw from 10m out

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
It was hit to short mid on and the fielder pegged it on the bounce to Enriques who couldn't gather it and missed an easy run out.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Enriques had a great game with the bat and captaincy, shame he won't remember anything else but that.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao India what the hell.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha holy poo poo what an appropriate end to that game.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Byolante posted:

So australia are getting saved by the big show and a marsh
Yeh England are terrible aren't they.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Airstream Driver posted:

Nah gently caress the bowler if he can't put his foot behind the line that is pretty much the easiest part of cricket.

On one hand I agree with this, it's so ducking simple.

On the other hand I hate the replay taking the air out of the moment and wish it would go away.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha well left

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

subroc posted:

lol he's done a Maxwell

Maxwells was way worse because he charged the bowler.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Outside leg methinks

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha Broad. Won't last long but entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

This is cool.