Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Infinifactory on steam
Official site
Steam group for goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6TohFLvoBc

Infinifactory is a sandbox puzzle game, made by Zach Barth of SpaceChem fame. Your job is to assemble and move a stream of inputs into the desired product, via conveyor belts, pushing pistons and things like that. It takes place in a Minecraft-like world where you have the objects you can place in your hotbar. SpaceChem in my opinion was the greatest puzzle game ever, because there was very rarely one clear, superior, intended solution. Everyone will come up with their own different solutions, and Infinifactory is the same way. The varied solutions can be a really fun incentive to get better as your stats are automatically compared against your friends, encouraging you to improve. SpaceChem had a way to automatically upload your solutions to YouTube, and the release version of Infinifactory should have that as well. Edit: Automatic Gif making has been added in a patch!

It's one of those games that simultaneously makes you feel like a moron (the initial 'How the gently caress am I meant to do this!?' phase) and a genius (that Eureka moment when you suddenly realize a beautifully elegant way to make something work). On top of that, it's not just raw puzzling all the time. While it's only told through a handful of audio logs and illustrations, there is a story, and it's a remarkably well-written one at that. It even starts to encroach onto gameplay in some later missions, but I won't spoil anything there. And to top it all off, it has shockingly good music. While you'll be hearing it repeat a lot if you play this game more than a few hours, it somehow just doesn't get old (at least, it hasn't for me), and really helps keep the old brain-pan ticking over. The presentation really helps stop it from feeling monotonous, along with the constantly shifting mission goals.

I literally copy/pasted the above paragraph from the OP of the old SpaceChem thread, but it totally works here too.

History lesson time - Zach Barth made a game called Infiniminer in 2009. It was an open-source, block-based world where you mine for resources, and craft objects, and it was one of, if not the first game of its type. Due to a source code leak and various other issues, Zach abandoned the idea for the game. Some guy named Notch thought the idea might still make a good game, stuff happened, and Notch now lives in a Turbomansion. I'm pretty sure Zach doesn't, so you could always show your appreciation by buying some Zachtronics games!

This game is early access at the moment. Game suggestions are best posted in the reddit thread. Coming features include something like ResearchNet from SpaceChem, where user-submitted levels are posted and shared. I'm told there is a level editor right now, but it's just one map and unlocked when you beat the game. Once that gets fleshed out there's always the possibility of goon tournaments (2012 version, 2013 version). SpaceChem was updated constantly with new content after release, so here's to hoping that Infinifactory will be the same.

Now fully released with a cool level editor and steam workshop integration!

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.
This game is great! Having more area to work with than SpaceChem means you can do some pretty amazing stuff.

I've been experimenting with the pushers and blockers. Did you know you can attach other blocks to them?

Two connected parts working together. Crazy.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

GuavaMoment posted:

SpaceChem in my opinion was the greatest puzzle game ever, because there was very rarely one clear, superior, intended solution.

I agree with this but will take it one step further and say it's straight up one of the greatest games ever, puzzle or not (in my opinion, clearly). The only thing preventing me from buying Infinifactory right now is that I'm still sitting at a lame 14/20 achievements in SpaceChem and I'd really like to 100% it before I sink into this one, but I also haven't played it in a few months since I'm busy with other games; I go through phases with that game. There's a good chance I'll still buy it just to support Zachtronics, though. I can't believe I only paid $5 for SpaceChem three years ago, the guy deserves more of my money than that.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

It's one of those games that simultaneously makes you feel like a moron (the initial 'How the gently caress am I meant to do this!?' phase) and a genius (that Eureka moment when you suddenly realize a beautifully elegant way to make something work).

Don't forget that wrap back around to "moron" when you see all your friends' scores that are so much better than yours. Granted, I've only just started playing and two of my Steam friends are GuavaMoment and (2013 Spacechem tournament champion) ecco2, but still. More people need to buy this game and friend me so I can feel even more like an idiot.

Speaking of scores, can I mention how nice it is that there are multiple save slots for puzzles? Now I can keep both my low-cycle and my low-footprint puzzles saved simultaneously.

And don't worry about completing SpaceChem 100% first before diving into Infinifactory. It helps you to some extent to have had SpaceChem experience, but Infinifactory plays quite differently.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
I bought this game yesterday and just finished the puzzle from the first GIF in the OP, and I'm now feeling like an idiot because of how inelegant my solution was in comparison (mine had to discard a third of the blocks for reasons I'm not even sure I understand). Great game though - I'm worried that I'm going to fall into the old SpaceChem routine of waking up in the middle of the night because I've just had a new idea to solve a puzzle I was stuck on.

By the way, in case anyone's put off of buying this game by the "Early Access" label - don't be. It already feels polished enough to be a final product in most ways.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Alright Guava, when's the tournament?

(Holy poo poo a new Zachtronics puzzle game, I am all over this.)

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
It's so good.

It's like having taken a selective amnesia pill and getting to experience SpaceChem again for the first time. I'm already looking forward to revisiting my old solutions to laugh at their inefficiency.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
This looks like a combination of most of Minecraft's techy mods (Thermal Expansion, Buildcraft, Minefactory, etc.) combined with a really old mac shareware game I played called "Factory" which has dropped off the face of the earth.

I love both of those games so this is extremely my poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Robhol posted:

By the way, in case anyone's put off of buying this game by the "Early Access" label - don't be. It already feels polished enough to be a final product in most ways.

It's literally a release-quality game that they're releasing as early access to mitigate the damage done by reviewers who trash games at launch but never revise their opinions or write followups after big fixes/updates.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
SOLD.

I'll also should get back to SpaceChem. I lost my savefile at some point in world 6 or so and never finished it.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Wild M posted:

This game is great! Having more area to work with than SpaceChem means you can do some pretty amazing stuff.

I've been experimenting with the pushers and blockers. Did you know you can attach other blocks to them?

Two connected parts working together. Crazy.

I've managed to get a track assembly bouncing back and forth on another track assembly while carrying a few moving parts like a 3D printer, but no practical applications for it yet. My solutions are inelegant as gently caress, but I'm loving the game. Also story.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

Cephalocidal posted:

I've managed to get a track assembly bouncing back and forth on another track assembly while carrying a few moving parts like a 3D printer, but no practical applications for it yet. My solutions are inelegant as gently caress, but I'm loving the game. Also story.

I need to see what you mean by a track assembly on a track assembly. I bet I could figure out something to do with it.

That, and Infinifactory gameplay can make some fantastic gifs.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Wild M posted:

I need to see what you mean by a track assembly on a track assembly. I bet I could figure out something to do with it.

That, and Infinifactory gameplay can make some fantastic gifs.

Tracks can carry tracks. If you've got the vertical space to work with they can potentially be way more efficient than an array of sensors and pushers. The top surface of a track block doesn't count as a fixing point for anything, actually - they're slippery, so you can build (for example) an overhanging welder side-attached to a platform block that's sitting on top of a track that runs in a loop, passing the welder over a lower track only part of the time.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh god Spacechem was bad enough now I need to work in three dimensions? I don't know if I can handle this, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to give it a shot. (game owns thus far)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You don't realise how much you relied upon massive backlogs. Until you don't have them.

THIS GAME

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jabor posted:

Alright Guava, when's the tournament?

Well I need to learn to play at a Grandmaster level first. Also for the game to not be early access, meaning it has a fully fleshed out level creator. I am confident one of these things will happen.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

OK, I'm pretty sure my solution to Small Excavator is the most ridiculous thing possible. I really wish uploading solutions was a thing already so other people could gape at my shame.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Well I need to learn to play at a Grandmaster level first. Also for the game to not be early access, meaning it has a fully fleshed out level creator. I am confident one of these things will happen.

Speaking of Grandmaster-level, did you know you can use single blocks on treadmills as timing circuits? Gotta save those cycles. :hydrogen:

Also of course Guava knows, I already told him.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How complete is this for early access?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sylink posted:

How complete is this for early access?

As they say on the store page (and as mentioned earlier in the thread), it's very complete and is basically what they would have considered the release version with previous games. The campaign is fully implemented, in particular. It's marked Early Access because they want to finish a few other features like the level editor and go through a few rounds of community testing and feedback before declaring it Actually Done.

I'm probably not going to get this yet because I'm still stuck on the last planet in Spacechem :negative:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sheeeeeesh, this game is difficult, and I'm only on the third area! I just hit the "Small excavator" puzzle, and man, I think I know what to do, but to implement it....

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Wild M posted:

Also of course Guava knows, I already told him.

You poo poo.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Seems like something goes wrong the first time you run a solution after loading one from the menu. Every solution is one cycle faster the first time you run it, but sometimes it can glitch out in different ways. This happens consistently in one of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7XPb8Yufg

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
My wallet cannot repel a Zachtronics game of this magnitude.

This looks like the closest thing to a Minecraft-ish Factorio so far. If this concept were expanded to include resources and production chains my head might explode.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I pretty much bought this instantly when I realised it's from the maker of SpaceChem. Goddamn, this scratches the :spergin: itch so good.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't learned my lesson and bought this even though I am terrible at all of Zachtronic's games.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
You know, Somehow I knew guavamoment would make this thread.

Also I'm addicted, can we get a friends list (in google calc or something) so I can start the competition with other people and feel inadequate next to the pros?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

I haven't learned my lesson and bought this even though I am terrible at all of Zachtronic's games.

Ahaha, I've made the same mistake a few missions earler, where you're supposed to put those colored blocks into an alternating pattern. Pretty much had to start over from scratch. :suicide:

But still, getting it right afterwards was completely worth it. This game is basically this blog distilled into its purest form.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Agree with Forer. Someone make an Infinifactory Goons steam group.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

quote:

INFINIFACTORY - It's basically 3D SpaceChem

Neat!

quote:

in Minecraft

hard pass

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Given that Zach basically came up with the idea of minecraft, you'd really be better off calling it "3D SpaceChem in Infiniminer", by the way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my god this game looks so completely to be my bag. Though I got completely stopped in SpaceChem by about the... fourth?... planet, and haven't gone back since, so if this game is harder by virtue of an extra dimension, then :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I feel like Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse B", a familiar friend to anyone who watched cartoons in the Looney Tunes era, should basically be on infinite loop in this game, from looking at those GIFs

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 22, 2015

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Also I feel like Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse B", a familiar friend to anyone who watched cartoons in the Looney Tunes era, should basically be on infinite loop in this game, from looking at those GIFs

Or Breakfast Machine by Danny Elfman.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

NickPancakes posted:

Agree with Forer. Someone make an Infinifactory Goons steam group.

Sure! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Infinifactigoons

tonberrytoby posted:

Ha ha, look at this guy, what an idio-

God.....dammit

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I stalled out on space chem a good part of the way through but manufactoid was still one of my favorite zachtronics games so i guess what I'm saying is that i have less money now

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Bought, played a bit, super good. My only reticence is questioning if I will enjoy the game more if I delay as polish comes in.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

and just as i figured, optimization is like crack to me.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

The music might be pretty good but I prefer to let my factories sing for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcDQP4_e7XY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh god I was right I spent half an hour on the training ground with vertically welded blocks I am too stupid for this game :saddowns:

• Locked thread