Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Control Volume posted:

Haha the support block, the trick to that is ultimately finding out a way to have it attach to the output structure. I solved that problem by having my top block go sideways at the end (the entire line was shifted over by one after the stamper). Then once you do that all you have to do is figure out how to weld them together. :)

I came up with something better!
Attaching to the output structure is cheating. Flying unsupported structures are cooler!

Boom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the new mechanics is an orientation flipper, vertical to horizontal. That could mean some innnnteresting changes for some of the current puzzles.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Viking_Helmet posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the new mechanics is an orientation flipper, vertical to horizontal. That could mean some innnnteresting changes for some of the current puzzles.

I keep trying to reach for a vertical pusher for a particular weld solution, and there just isn't one, is there? At least not yet.Guess it's back to the drawing board for Small Excavator...

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Game owns. The worst thing is when you finally come up with a cycle minimizing solution, only to see one tiny fraction of a percent of solutions did almost twice as well as you (and anyone else). What is the secret :(

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

How in the pissing gently caress do I do Cargo Lifter? gently caress cycles, gently caress footprint, I just want it done.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mustard Snobbery posted:

How in the pissing gently caress do I do Cargo Lifter? gently caress cycles, gently caress footprint, I just want it done.

Here's my not-at-all optimized solution :v:

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Buffis posted:

I came up with something better!
Attaching to the output structure is cheating. Flying unsupported structures are cooler!

Boom!

Here, try this instead.

TacMan fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 6, 2015

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
Am I allowed to feel clever over having the best solution in a set of two people who have completed this puzzle? (It's called "Upsizing" on the workshop, you basically take two terrestrial surveyors and turn them into a terrestrial drone. I liked it, good remix of stuff you've already messed with)

C 143 and F 130. Had it running 7 cycles faster using rotators to move it to the output but this looks much nicer for gifs. :v:

Moog fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 6, 2015

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I had no idea this game existed, instantly bought.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Hail Histograms!

I thought I was good, thought I was doing well having results in spitting distance of Guava.

Then I found this thread.

E: Also, Steam Group

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?

I am not particularly clever. And yes, that is 996 cycles -- I have no idea why it says 250.

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008
After much swearing I finally did small excavator. It started off nice and neatly I swear!

http://imgur.com/a/6C07g#6gxMBNW

I was especially proud of my train track switcheroo

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I say, gneiss chair!

My first attempt. Also somehow the fastest on my friends list.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Buffis posted:

I prefer to carve out my chairs from solid blocks of stone.

Both footprint and cycles are kindof awkward, but it looks cool.

This inspired me to take the chair carving to the next level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_zdbL7EBo0

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

That is basically the best thing.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

You assholes are too smart

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

PirateNipple posted:

You assholes are too smart

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.
This was my original low-footprint solution for this puzzle and I find it pretty hilarious.

Now, you don't need those outward-facing eradicators, but it does make it look even more ridiculously unnecessary.

Oh, and I put normal blocks in unneeded places to mark footprints that would be used later in the solution.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Wild M posted:

This was my original low-footprint solution for this puzzle and I find it pretty hilarious.

Now, you don't need those outward-facing eradicators, but it does make it look even more ridiculously unnecessary.

Oh, and I put normal blocks in unneeded places to mark footprints that would be used later in the solution.

I still have no idea how people get 20 footprint in this level.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

I still have no idea how people get 20 footprint in this level.

It got patched out for some reason, but a part moving into an eviscerator immediately after spawning didn't count for footprint, so you could cut one more footprint column out of the middle row for 20. I got 20 before the patch and when I ran the exact same solution after the patch, it gave me 22.

ugly
Jul 22, 2003
No clue
Pillbug
I have bumbled my way up to resource site 526.81. Is there any reason not to design my solutions with the input rate at maximum from the beginning? So far that seems like the way to go.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ugly posted:

I have bumbled my way up to resource site 526.81. Is there any reason not to design my solutions with the input rate at maximum from the beginning? So far that seems like the way to go.

Some of the later puzzles are easier with a bit of leeway, but if you can figure out a solution on max input go for it. You'll almost always get a better cycle score if you do. Just bear in mind that different input rates can necessitate drastically different designs.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

ugly posted:

Is there any reason not to design my solutions with the input rate at maximum from the beginning?

If you can do Furnished Studio Apartment faster than a +14 rate, I'd like to see it. But that's more the exception than the norm.

Wild M posted:

WildM and I were having a dick-waving competition and he said something to me like "your 20 footprint solution looks something like this, right?" Uhhhhh.....

ugly
Jul 22, 2003
No clue
Pillbug
Got it, that is kind of what I thought.

I am sure I will hit a brick wall pretty soon but until then I am having fun. This game is great!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Control Volume posted:

It got patched out for some reason, but a part moving into an eviscerator immediately after spawning didn't count for footprint, so you could cut one more footprint column out of the middle row for 20. I got 20 before the patch and when I ran the exact same solution after the patch, it gave me 22.

So, what other levels are the top scores unachievable in?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Dr. Stab posted:

So, what other levels are the top scores unachievable in?

Training Routine 5, top footprint is 29 now but you could have had 28 apparently.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I don't usually attempt low footprint solutions but this one is bugging me. Shuttle propulsion units (puzzle 2-3) there's quite a few of you with a 23 footprint solution.

This is 25. I don't see how you can do it a smaller footprint. What am I missing?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Teledahn posted:

I don't usually attempt low footprint solutions but this one is bugging me. Shuttle propulsion units (puzzle 2-3) there's quite a few of you with a 23 footprint solution.

This is 25. I don't see how you can do it a smaller footprint. What am I missing?

there's 2 blocks inside the source that count towards footprint

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

there's 2 blocks inside the source that count towards footprint

I know that. The image posted has what I thought was the minimum footprint (25), yet somehow folks are beating it by two. I can't see how.

E: \/ \/ \/ Durrr. Yes, of course. I feel silly now.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 16, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Teledahn posted:

I know that. The image posted has what I thought was the minimum footprint (25), yet somehow folks are beating it by two. I can't see how.

There's a gap underneath it, right? Run the conveyor belt under it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

President Ark posted:

There's a gap underneath it, right? Run the conveyor belt under it.

Or up and back over. This is the level where I think it's a lot easier to do all of one type of input then do all the other.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I thought I'd managed to avoid getting sucked in to this the way I got sucked into SpaceChem. Managed to avoid the sleepless nights with optimization ideas churning through my head. Gotten away from the hours of time redesigning a solution to save a single cycle or symbol at one spot. Then I had an idea in the shower this morning, and couldn't think of anything else all day :shepicide:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
How are you the number one loser at space chem and the number one on every single leaderboard? You're crazy good (and crazy sperg) in this game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bhodi posted:

How are you the number one loser at space chem and the number one on every single leaderboard? You're crazy good (and crazy sperg) in this game.

Probably more the latter than the former in this case - minimum-footprint is about 10% coming up with a technique to save space, and 90% tediously shuffling things around to get everything working again.

As for spacechem, the title is because I got last place out of everyone who made the cut for the finals

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jabor posted:

So I thought I'd managed to avoid getting sucked in to this the way I got sucked into SpaceChem. Managed to avoid the sleepless nights with optimization ideas churning through my head. Gotten away from the hours of time redesigning a solution to save a single cycle or symbol at one spot. Then I had an idea in the shower this morning, and couldn't think of anything else all day :shepicide:

Why would you do this to yourself

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.
Phew, thanks for pointing out that someone had 93 on Landing Alignment Lights, Jabor - fixed!

Also I discovered that this bug got fixed. That was a bitch to work around.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wild M posted:

Phew, thanks for pointing out that someone had 93 on Landing Alignment Lights, Jabor - fixed!

Uh-oh, maybe you shouldn't take another look at the leaderboard then...

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Jabor posted:

Uh-oh, maybe you shouldn't take another look at the leaderboard then...

Oh, you did that thing where you weld to pre-made sticks and rotate?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wild M posted:

Oh, you did that thing where you weld to pre-made sticks and rotate?

Nope! this one's 100% legit. Runs forever. I don't particularly like the trick of welding platforms to your components, so I don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Oh sorry, I was too busy realizing what I could do differently.

And this is unoptimized!

Okay, enough waving my dick around.

• Locked thread