Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Wild M posted:

This game is great! Having more area to work with than SpaceChem means you can do some pretty amazing stuff.

I've been experimenting with the pushers and blockers. Did you know you can attach other blocks to them?

Two connected parts working together. Crazy.

I caught myself cackling madly when this worked

(Also, I know I could remove four of those pushers. Just thought it looked nicer this way :shobon: )

crime weed fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, the sixth area is off to a good start. The puzzle wasn't too bad, but it was certainly different.

Edit: This whole area owns.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 23, 2015

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Neat!

hard pass

It's not actually 'in minecraft' at all besides being blocky. there's no resource management or anything like that. it's just puzzles.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

tinaun posted:

It's not actually 'in minecraft' at all besides being blocky. there's no resource management or anything like that. it's just puzzles.

I heard some things about a sandbox mode though, what is the plan with that?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So from the gifs it looks like you guys have pistons that start out extended and when a signal comes they retract, is that correct? How do I get them?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Forer posted:

So from the gifs it looks like you guys have pistons that start out extended and when a signal comes they retract, is that correct? How do I get them?

This would make my life a lot easier, is it a different type of pusher or are you using some type of timer?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Forer posted:

Phrosphor posted:

This would make my life a lot easier, is it a different type of pusher or are you using some type of timer?

It's called a blocker, and you get it from the third area, I think.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I did the puzzle where they introduce blockers without actually having one. Because I didn't realize there had been a new block unlocked.

My solution involved building a logic gate to invert the input and achieve the result I wanted :shepicide:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, you can put conveyors on top of conveyors.There's got to be some sort of speedrunning strats for that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Aww, there's only six areas? There were loads of great puzzles, but I was looking forward to getting stuck for ages like in Spacechem.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Oh hey, I just got the blocker, let's try playing around and see if I can do nand gates and or gates and inverter and fancy poo poo like that.

Light as a feather, stiff as a board

Whoops, I broke it. No, there's nothing holding that up, it's a floating clock.

Edit: also for the spaceship repair puzzle I thought you only needed to remove the back blocks that explicitly look damaged, so I had a fancy setup involving excavator on pushers that went when there was a ship infront and do this and that a-oh... well this is easier at least.

Double edit:

It shouldn't have taken me this long to realize but this actually works a lot like electronics now since this would be a chained and gate, since the pusher is acting like a transistor here, with a gate drain and source. Since we have a transistor, and an inverter (use a blocker instead of a pusher there) that we can make all the rest of the logical operators?

Forer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 23, 2015

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

This is far, far too much fun.

Took me about 15 hours to finish the storyline (but still 3 more puzzles to finish -- and many more to go back and optimize). Everything felt release-quality to me. I loved the flavor -- the opening cinematic, the cutscenes, etc, and like that the ending leaves plenty of room for more content -- Zach mentioned in an interview that they hope to do further sets of puzzles to expand on the basic campaign.

I like how sprawling some of the later puzzles can be. I feel a bit less obsessive about space-optimizing stuff (compared to spacechem), partially because I really get a kick out of building giant unwieldy contraptions. I often have a clever plan for part of a puzzle, invest in it, discover that I backed myself into a corner in some way, and instead of starting over, I build even-more-elaborate cruft on top to get unstuck... and often get a perfectly workable solution.

Some of the sixth world puzzles are *dark* especially the two food preparation ones.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Quinton posted:

Some of the sixth world puzzles are *dark* especially the two food preparation ones.

The second one of those is the funniest puzzle in the game. Really creative.

The Relaxant formula puzzle in the same area is the bane of my existence. I've finished it, but it's so hard to optimize.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Forer posted:

It shouldn't have taken me this long to realize but this actually works a lot like electronics now since this would be a chained and gate, since the pusher is acting like a transistor here, with a gate drain and source. Since we have a transistor, and an inverter (use a blocker instead of a pusher there) that we can make all the rest of the logical operators?

It's fairly straightforward to achieve that actually. The basic component you want is a buffer, to give you clean outputs (i.e. you can combine them with other sensors without wreaking havoc on anything else using the same output). You can make a really simple buffer (three squares of footprint) with a blocker, a sensor, a platform, and some track. When the blocker receives a signal, it relaxes, so the track pushes the platform under the sensor. You can make an inverter (also known as a NOT-gate) by using a pusher instead of a blocker too.

Once you have clean outputs, OR-gates are of course trivial - you just wire the conduit together. After that, you can make any logical circuit you want out of OR- and NOT-gates. Of course, you can usually do things more efficiently - you can make pretty complicated logic functions by having a tower of pushers/blockers pushing a tower of platforms around. But it's definitely possible.

--

Also, I fired up my game again and didn't have access to rotators. At first I thought it was a gimmick, since the level was actually solvable without them, but then I got to a level that needed rotation in order to complete it. Turns out the game updated, and reset my progress on the level that unlocks rotators, so they weren't unlocked.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Jabor posted:

Also, I fired up my game again and didn't have access to rotators. At first I thought it was a gimmick, since the level was actually solvable without them, but then I got to a level that needed rotation in order to complete it. Turns out the game updated, and reset my progress on the level that unlocks rotators, so they weren't unlocked.

Yeah:

quote:

We changed the way that rotators work so that it's much easier to rotate single blocks. To reflect this new behavior, we also changed the first puzzle, which you may need to re-solve in order to pick up where you left off.

I'm not sure what they mean by "easier to rotate single blocks", I never even tried to do that until now.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Orthogonalus posted:

Yeah:

I'm not sure what they mean by "easier to rotate single blocks", I never even tried to do that until now.

I don't know what changed but it you had a belt of single blocks going onto a rotator the first one would hit the rotator and rotate, then sit until the next block pushed it off and took it's place. Because the rotator didn't get a chance to reset it would stay "rotated" and not rotate any more blocks.

Same thing would happen if you used a pusher to push the block off and the next block went on as soon as the pusher retracted.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

I barely have any clue what I'm doing, but I'm having fun with it at least.

also this is the only way I can efficiently think to stack two/three blocks ontop of eachother without having to worry about timing, someone save me from myself.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jabor posted:

I did the puzzle where they introduce blockers without actually having one. Because I didn't realize there had been a new block unlocked.

My solution involved building a logic gate to invert the input and achieve the result I wanted :shepicide:

Same, but my solution eventually evolved from a series of 'teeth' that would slow down the shuttles and eventually fail because the timing got hosed into one that just pushed them off the track onto blocks and forced them to queue before pushing them back onto the track. Hooray for ambiguous holograms!

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg
It's fun to create huge impractical contraptions for a seemingly simple task. What do you guys use to make those gifs?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Overengineering is the best kind of engineering! :jeb:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ugh, the last mission is probably the only one in the game I'd classify as "not fun". It's not even that complex, just really huge and takes a ton of time to set up right.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Forer posted:

I barely have any clue what I'm doing, but I'm having fun with it at least.

also this is the only way I can efficiently think to stack two/three blocks ontop of eachother without having to worry about timing, someone save me from myself.
There is an easier way : http://youtu.be/nJDUxt6Nxpk

A lot of the puzzles are great. But towards the end there seem to be a lot of puzzles that are just "build a complicated thing". Without any interesting Gimick. It gets boring really fast. And more annoyingly, a lot puzzles have sections where I would kill for a copy and paste tool.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

There is an easier way : http://youtu.be/nJDUxt6Nxpk

A lot of the puzzles are great. But towards the end there seem to be a lot of puzzles that are just "build a complicated thing". Without any interesting Gimick. It gets boring really fast. And more annoyingly, a lot puzzles have sections where I would kill for a copy and paste tool.

that helps a huge amount, 'cause like spacechem the game wants you to learn concepts, but sometimes those concepts you won't stumble into accidently.

Choco Happy Ending posted:

It's fun to create huge impractical contraptions for a seemingly simple task. What do you guys use to make those gifs?

gooncam

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Choco Happy Ending posted:

I use fraps and virtualdub, although gooncam is probably better.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

When does this game start requiring complex machinery?

e: Woops fixed a simple footprint reduction

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 24, 2015

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg

Control Volume posted:

When does this game start requiring complex machinery?

e: Woops fixed a simple footprint reduction

Whenever you want. :v:

Choco Happy Ending fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 24, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

...I think my solution to Relay Satellite may be less than perfectly efficient. The horrible part is that I actually tried. I swear I did.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I keep feeling like I'm cheating somehow, playing this, and I don't know why. Always makes me wonder what the developer-intended solutions to puzzles like these are.

Like that sensor's position and the input rate being completely interdependent, for example; if I change one I have to change the other or the whole thing breaks. I guess the vague cheaty feeling is my inner programmer raging at me for high coupling :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 24, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I also love that the puzzles are fundamentally different once you up the input rate. It's pretty awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I guess I should get used to the idea of timing being A Thing, especially after the puzzle following the one I posted. v:shobon:v

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I just finished the first set of puzzles and I've done decently well against the only other person on my leaderboard, so now it's time to join the Steam group so I can know true despair. :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JavaJesus posted:

I just finished the first set of puzzles and I've done decently well against the only other person on my leaderboard, so now it's time to join the Steam group so I can know true despair. :v:

Keep in mind that (unlike Spacechem), you can use whatever components you like once you've unlocked them, they're not restricted by the level you're playing. Getting the "best" scores on earlier levels often requires you to come back later with other components, so don't feel too bad if your first solution doesn't score quite as well.

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

Jabor posted:

Keep in mind that (unlike Spacechem), you can use whatever components you like once you've unlocked them, they're not restricted by the level you're playing. Getting the "best" scores on earlier levels often requires you to come back later with other components, so don't feel too bad if your first solution doesn't score quite as well.

Yes, please get all of the parts first, or things like this will make you sad:

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Wild M posted:

Yes, please get all of the parts first, or things like this will make you sad:

Okay yeah, having just gotten to that puzzle I'm definitely going to avoid lots of heartache by knowing that I need to wait before I can start optimizing. Thanks for the heads up!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Trip report: Game's pretty solid. Got up to the levels where you get the destroyer drill things and fiddled around with the "replace spaceship engines" mission a bit before getting tired.

Wish I'd payed more attention to the gifs in this thread and noticed you can stick things to pushers/blockers. :downs:

e: Also to people afraid of minecraft, this game plays nothing like minecraft.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

JavaJesus posted:

Okay yeah, having just gotten to that puzzle I'm definitely going to avoid lots of heartache by knowing that I need to wait before I can start optimizing. Thanks for the heads up!

For this particular puzzle, if you're going for lowest footprint, you don't need anything more than the parts it gives you.

Also something to note about attaching other parts to pushers/blockers: they can't be connected to anything but the pusher/blocker initially if you want them to move. This hosed with me for the longest time.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 24, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Does this have a demo? The demo for SpaceChem sold me in about five seconds but I'm not sure how well I'd do with similar concepts in 3D.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So what program does everyone use to make gifs for this? I've never actually bothered before.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Control Volume posted:

For this particular puzzle, if you're going for lowest footprint, you don't need anything more than the parts it gives you.

Are you sure you have the optimal solution? I look at my lowest-footprint attempt and I can't think how you'd do it with just the blocks available at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, I've solved all but one puzzle, and I just realized you can tune the input rate manually. It even affects your score.
Suddenly it made sense how some people got half my cycles on something I thought was perfectly optimized.

• Locked thread