Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
This is Not Alf XXX
Jul 12, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Overengineering is the best kind of engineering! :jeb:
I agree. Probably my best effort which is on small excavator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Probably the silliest thing I've done yet is building a small AND-circuit somewhere out of the way to make sure the right ratio of blocks is getting redirected. But it's just so drat satisfying when everything lines up just right: http://gfycat.com/BossyOrneryBongo

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is the easiest / quickest reacting way to make an AND circuit?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cranking the input ratio to max leads to some pretty funny alternative solutions. I think this is the absolute optimal cycle solution for Munitions Refill Type 2.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

What is the easiest / quickest reacting way to make an AND circuit?

The simplest one I've managed is just two pushers and some conveyors, like so (ignore the stuff around the edges, I was too lazy to load a new map):

The block to be moved is placed on the highlighted square. Input sensors are to the left, output to the right. Should have a delay of two ticks, and another two ticks to be ready again, assuming the first sensor is kept free. Though the problem with this one is that it might not work if the signals don't come in at exactly same time, as the second one would block the first. For that purpose a combination of a Blocker and a Pusher would probably work better, but I don't have Blockers unlocked yet. I'd imagine you'd need some delays built in when using them, though.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 24, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jabor posted:

Are you sure you have the optimal solution? I look at my lowest-footprint attempt and I can't think how you'd do it with just the blocks available at that point.

Haha turns out I was wrong! The basic concept remains the same though and you can get the footprint down to 24 vs the absolute minimum of 23.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Perestroika posted:

Probably the silliest thing I've done yet is building a small AND-circuit somewhere out of the way to make sure the right ratio of blocks is getting redirected. But it's just so drat satisfying when everything lines up just right: http://gfycat.com/BossyOrneryBongo

Splitting inputs into proper ratios is actually quite a bit easier in this game over SpaceChem because you can do things like this: http://gfycat.com/KindlySplendidAfricanharrierhawk.

Compare this to a reactor I made in SpaceChem that is functionally similar but took me an hour plus to properly design, time, and debug: http://gfycat.com/DapperUnkemptEmu.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Argh, this game... too addictive. There goes my weekend.

It took me a good few levels before I figured you can change the input speed with ] and [. The game sure is brutal in terms of not telling you stuff explicitly.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Ciaphas posted:

I keep feeling like I'm cheating somehow, playing this, and I don't know why. Always makes me wonder what the developer-intended solutions to puzzles like these are.

Yours is probably closer than my first attempt:

Shadowplay will capture this if you turn on "Desktop capture".

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I love getting a hard puzzle after awhile and just having it click, and feeling supersmart

and then getting exactly average.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Noooo little groundhog things I'm sorry :cry:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

President Ark posted:

Noooo little groundhog things I'm sorry :cry:

I tried running those critters through a welder field in hopes of stunning them or humanely killing them (and, truth be told, in hopes of getting them to stop hopping around) before running them through the food processor and packer but no such luck...

That level made me feel bad. Then the *next* level with a similar theme made me feel bad and wasteful.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
This game is so loving amazing

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I advise against this approach to refitting shuttles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YmyZMk6P_8
(possible spoilers in the for of bad solutions to "Shuttle Maintenance")

I am proud of the little state machine that prevents things from advancing until the shuttle and both engines are in place, but everything else about this is pretty awful.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

oi jabor as thanks for adding me as a friend and making me sperg the gently caress out for hours over dumb footprint optimization because of leaderboards, i give you the following present:

you can be the one tearing your hair out over this crap now, suck a dick~

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 25, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Perestroika posted:

The simplest one I've managed is just two pushers and some conveyors, like so (ignore the stuff around the edges, I was too lazy to load a new map):

The block to be moved is placed on the highlighted square. Input sensors are to the left, output to the right. Should have a delay of two ticks, and another two ticks to be ready again, assuming the first sensor is kept free. Though the problem with this one is that it might not work if the signals don't come in at exactly same time, as the second one would block the first. For that purpose a combination of a Blocker and a Pusher would probably work better, but I don't have Blockers unlocked yet. I'd imagine you'd need some delays built in when using them, though.

Here's a simpler AND-gate:

(currently set up in a NAND configuration, but if you put the sensor on the other end of the track it becomes an AND-gate). 4 points of footprint, and it's linear so you can squeeze it in above or below some real track to make it a net zero points, and only one cycle of delay. You can also extend it to as many inputs as you like just by making the towers taller, and invert specific inputs by making those specific ones pushers rather than blockers.

Control Volume posted:

oi jabor as thanks for adding me as a friend and making me sperg the gently caress out for hours over dumb footprint optimization because of leaderboards,

You're welcome!

quote:

i give you the following present:

:mad:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I took a gif from the OP and welded it to a youtube video: http://gifsound.com/?gif=lpix.org/1916113/infini.gif&v=qaC0vNLdLvY&s=74

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wait, do blocks not count for footprint if they're over another block? Or how is that measured?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ciaphas posted:

Wait, do blocks not count for footprint if they're over another block? Or how is that measured?

Footprint only seems to measure the area you cover on the ground, so stacking things on top of each other is very footprint-efficient.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

You can see the footprint if you press 'P' while a puzzle is running. It's the count of how many columns have ever had one of your blocks above it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, footprint is strictly ground area stuff. Even parts that pass over area add to footprint so one of the first things you learn is welding parts as late as you possibly can.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Alright, matched this one (and I think I can shave off one more if I get really cheeky, but that's a story for another day)

Now for your next challenge:

:smug:

e: Down to 40 on this puzzle.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 25, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Oh my god when using the puzzle editor you can partway solve it, then back out and edit the puzzle and when you go back into solve mode it has both the changes to the base puzzle and still remembers everything you did while solving it before :circlefap:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

President Ark posted:

Oh my god when using the puzzle editor you can partway solve it, then back out and edit the puzzle and when you go back into solve mode it has both the changes to the base puzzle and still remembers everything you did while solving it before :circlefap:

The only two issues I have with the puzzle editor are:
1. it nukes your quickbar assignments
2. it insists on moving you back to the start point when you switch between edit and test

Neither are deal-breakers, but I'm hoping both are resolved in a patch.
(for #2 I'd happily accept it moving me if I would collide with an object in the new scene)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a way to slide that AI core into the drone without taking it off the tracks? If so, I can't find it. Can't drop it on, can't push it on, can't push a conveyor with a moving block on...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Is there a way to slide that AI core into the drone without taking it off the tracks? If so, I can't find it. Can't drop it on, can't push it on, can't push a conveyor with a moving block on...

... Yes? There's even this gif of it in the OP:

quote:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
WTF? I did that exact thing and it slid off the back.

Ah, I see. They pause it with a blocker. I was hoping to do it without doing that. Eh, no big deal.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Made this ungodly contraption trying to get minimum footprint on the Javelin before being told that there was a more straightforward way. It has it's charm, though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Made this ungodly contraption trying to get minimum footprint on the Javelin before being told that there was a more straightforward way. It has it's charm, though.

That.. hurts my brain. I just spend like 5 minutes studying the bizzare complexities of this machine. All the half-welds that would weld the wrong parts of a rocket together if it was even a single cycle off, and all that juggling up and down. Why does the first welder have three blocks instead of two if it just welds the two bottom blocks together? All it does it make it look like you're about to have a welding disaster that would clog up the whole machine, that it narrowly avoids by like one cycle.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

That.. hurts my brain. I just spend like 5 minutes studying the bizzare complexities of this machine. All the half-welds that would weld the wrong parts of a rocket together if it was even a single cycle off, and all that juggling up and down. Why does the first welder have three blocks instead of two if it just welds the two bottom blocks together? All it does it make it look like you're about to have a welding disaster that would clog up the whole machine, that it narrowly avoids by like one cycle.

The first welder has three blocks instead of two because I forgot to take one out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Choco Happy Ending posted:

Whenever you want. :v:

Call me dense but watching this immediately made me realize how the AND gates described were working and my programmer mind is loving blown that I didn't see it sooner. :stare:

(edit) I don't suppose any of the puzzles in this are explicitly unsolvable without logic gates, are they?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I don't suppose any of the puzzles in this are explicitly unsolvable without logic gates, are they?

I'm pretty sure you can finish the main campaign without building logic gates. In fact, I found that in many cases trying to approach puzzles from a "programming" perspective caused me to build some crazy apparatus to act as a state machine or something, then I'd see somebody else's solution where they took a more "mechanical" approach, using the simple properties of the blocks or inherent state in the world to accomplish the same thing in a far, far simpler way.

For example -- building two engines or whatnot and then want to send 50% one direction, 50% another -- you could build some stateful machine to push every other thing off a different edge of the belt... or you could push it on to a platform followed by a belt, with a sensor over the belt so that when the second engine pushes the first onto the belt, the sensor triggers a pusher to kick the second engine off the platform onto another belt, etc, etc.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ciaphas posted:

Call me dense but watching this immediately made me realize how the AND gates described were working and my programmer mind is loving blown that I didn't see it sooner. :stare:

(edit) I don't suppose any of the puzzles in this are explicitly unsolvable without logic gates, are they?

I've solved all of them, never needed any logic gates.

Besides, they're bad for your footprint score.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Control Volume posted:

oi jabor as thanks for adding me as a friend and making me sperg the gently caress out for hours over dumb footprint optimization because of leaderboards, i give you the following present:

I got this one down to 35 which would have put me at #1 among my friends when I immediately I saw Jabor get that score. I yelled at him a bit. I had to give up on it for now.

Jabor posted:

Yeah don't be friends with Jabor, he makes you do things like get this down to 40 fp, despite it being almost 3:30 AM. (And got it to 72 cycles as well)

That is exactly the sound that gif made in my head, which I why I made the gif in the first place. Nice!

Quinton posted:

For example -- building two engines or whatnot and then want to send 50% one direction, 50% another -- you could build some stateful machine to push every other thing off a different edge of the belt... or you could push it on to a platform followed by a belt, with a sensor over the belt so that when the second engine pushes the first onto the belt, the sensor triggers a pusher to kick the second engine off the platform onto another belt, etc, etc.

I've discovered in cases like this that unlike spacechem it's usually more efficient to do all of one type of input, then do a one-time change so you can then to do all of the other output. My favorite one-time change is dropping in a conveyer from the heavens at a precise time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Bhodi posted:

WTF? I did that exact thing and it slid off the back.

Ah, I see. They pause it with a blocker. I was hoping to do it without doing that. Eh, no big deal.
You can do it without a blocker is your rotate the tank by 90 degrees.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Jabor posted:

Alright, matched this one (and I think I can shave off one more if I get really cheeky, but that's a story for another day)

Now for your next challenge:

I was surprised to see myself at the top there so I went to check what's so magical about my solution, only to notice that Guava has since beaten me. Order restored.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Are there any sort of priority rules if a large piece is on conveyors going in different directions?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Prenton posted:

Are there any sort of priority rules if a large piece is on conveyors going in different directions?
It seems to go in the current direction first.
Then it seems to go in the opposite direction ( I haven't fully tested this yet ).

e: Actually I seem to be totally wrong here.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
I was quite proud of this segment of terrestrial drone:

First time I've used a timing circuit for manipulating things.

• Locked thread