Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Oh it was on square-enix's site, and still is.

No legend of mana though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

No Such Thing posted:

nope, even the serious gamefaq autists are unsure how it actually works.

the music in the game is loving quality tho and Janet Jackson sampled one of the tracks.

everything changed when the rhythm nation attacked

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

hubris.height posted:

there's not even bait on this hook

som is fuckin garbage with the grinding weapons and sd3 is a buggy pile of poo poo where you slap a until kevin or hawkeye has 1 bar of supermeter and then you do their 2 hit attack

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol if you have to grind in a Mana game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
SoM's mechanics are almost all bad. It's a good game in spite of that, somehow.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
legend of mana has a nonsensical plot

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Grinding up a mimic for rare drops is what I remember about LoM

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i never got past the wall in secret of mana so i always just get to recall how good everything before that was

also sd3 is pretty good and i don't recall any bugs but i haven't beaten it either

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just remember thinking it looked really loving cool in EGM and I was pissed I didn't get a playstation or whatever system it came out on.

edit: Also the only mana game I've completed (several times) is SD3. I know a lot of people complain about the class change system but it's actually one of my favorite parts. People say it sucks that you can end up with a bad class if you don't plan ahead but that isn't really true, the game is so easy people have beaten it using the starting and 2nd classes.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

drat i'm hyped as gently caress for this game

i played silent hill 2 as a recommendation from imp zone and it was good as gently caress so i think my fellow imps won't lead me astray

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kazvall posted:

on that note, I was pretty let down when ff7 wasn't nearly as good as ff6, nor has it aged nearly as well as ff6

ff6 is possibly, maybe, the best console rpg ever made

discuss

farking duh

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

epitasis posted:

farking duh

Kefkowned

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

hubris.height posted:

i never got past the wall in secret of mana so i always just get to recall how good everything before that was

also sd3 is pretty good and i don't recall any bugs but i haven't beaten it either

sd3 is slow and i don't lke the combat . lom is slow too none of the games have very good combat.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the ds one has really fast combat and it's very frustrating but still better than people waiting for a few seconds while a number appears every time they're hit

Dec 26, 2012

is the ds one any good. i remember not liking the gba remake of the original

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The DS one was also a terrible dungeon crawler that tried to mimic the physics engine of the PS2 game so you'd get moments where a barrel would knock you into a wall and back into a monster into another monster and whoops now you're dead for no reason and have to do the last 20 minutes of spamming one button over again because saving your progress inside a dungeon is a foreign concept.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't remember if it was good, i remember hitting a bunch of guys and getting hit some and tha'ts about it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Phantasium posted:

The DS one was also a terrible dungeon crawler that tried to mimic the physics engine of the PS2 game so you'd get moments where a barrel would knock you into a wall and back into a monster into another monster and whoops now you're dead for no reason and have to do the last 20 minutes of spamming one button over again because saving your progress inside a dungeon is a foreign concept.

the ps2 one was the one i was thinking of, not the ds one

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

the ps2 one was the one i was thinking of, not the ds one

That one has the slowest combat in the series, though? (Not counting the RTS, obviously.)

Like every time you need to kill a monster you have to chuck a physics object at it so it could freak out long enough for you to beat on it, or else they couldn't be staggered and would take you out easily or else take forever to kill.

I do like that the mechanic is basically scaring the poo poo out of monsters, though.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ok the total lesson here is that i dont have a memory

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe you're thinking of the GBA one? That one went by insanely fast, especially since there's a crafting system you can easily break so that bosses die in 15 seconds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The GBA one took a simple story and overdramatized the hell out of everything. I don't need to spend ten minutes listening to the main guy cry about his dead girlfriend or how the bad guy is actually a good guy despite being a bad guy or whatever poo poo, just give me the loving bionic chocobo already you fucks. Also the gameplay is laughably easy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Whitewashing Chocobot is a loving travesty.

Also I love the fact that they took what was like a ten minute final boss sequence in the original (I liked replaying it due to the music) and turned it into like an hour of boring dialog.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

so which version is the `best' ?

i was gonna buy the ps1 version but apparently there are a loving thousand versions

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

These are all different games, tho?

Buy Legend of Mana it's pretty great. There is only one version and it's on PSN for $3 right now.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
even if i dont like it $3 was worth finding out whether i do

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i dont have the internet or a psn accessible machine. if you had to spend 40 buckaroos on this game, would it be worth it?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
No game is worth paying more than $30 for.

And that's pushing it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I would but I'm also a crazy collector and it would bother me if I didn't already own it from back in the day.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Game is too divisive to recommend for $40 unless you really want to collect it. I love it but many people don't.

Also there's only one version of the game unless it somehow sold enough to get a Greatest Hits version.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
Legend of Mana is one of those games that aged real real well, art and music are as good as they always were. It has a cool beat-em up style with heavy rpg elements and a lot of different weapons and magic so there's tons of variety. The plot is a bunch of seemingly unconnected side quests and three major story arcs that often tie into each other, funny thing is people panned the game for the side quests when it came out which is pretty lol considering that sort of thing is normal these days.

One massive problem though; it's insanely, ridiculously easy. You never have to grind but you don't have to try hard either.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bifner McDoogle posted:

One massive problem though; it's insanely, ridiculously easy. You never have to grind but you don't have to try hard either.

Really would have been nice if that book that changes the difficulty was available on the first run.

Or if it let you mix and match them for regular enemies and bosses. The highest difficulty is perfect for bosses but super tedious for regular encounters, but the other one makes bosses too easy.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i just found Saga Frontier 2 and was reminiscing about it. Saga games were ok and kinda had some similar feelings to the mana games. Now that I see so much unabashed praise for LoM I feel like maybe I have to give ti a second chance? Who knows what my gaming future might hold?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Who knows what my gaming future might hold?

you're gonna throw your controller through your tv wiimote-style after your fiftieth attempt at battle of south mound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

That stupid jewel fortress stalled me big time as a kid but I can't remember exactly why.

• Locked thread