Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ashgromnies posted:

It's either New Center or Hamtramck. New Center is one of the neighborhoods that have been attracting new (white) residents lately, Hamtramck has historically been a Polish immigrant town (as well as Yemeni, Bangladeshi, Bulgarians and others in recent decades)

It's Hamtramck. Which also isn't Detroit, just surrounded by it on all sides.

I'd also like to direct everyone's attention to the majority blue suburb off to the southwest. That would be Inkster. See, Inkster is a thing because the city immediately outside of Detroit on the west — Dearborn — was run with explicitly segregationist policies.

quote:

"They can't get in here. We watch it. Every time we hear of a Negro moving--for instance, we had one last year--in we respond quicker than you do to a fire. That's generally known. It's known among our own people and it's known among the Negroes here." He also boasted that one of his tactics to discourage blacks who had just moved into Dearborn was by providing police and fire protection that was "a little too good"—wake-up visits every hour or so through the night in response to trouble calls.

That was a common tactic in several of the suburbs, actually; my mother watched that happen to a family in her neighborhood.

This similarly led to the rather entertaining borders of Dearborn Heights:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Carl Killer Miller posted:

This is, I'm pretty sure, Midtown (google maps and this map are a little off).

No, like I said, it is Hamtramck. You can see the empty white hole that is the GM plant right below it. Midtown is the smattering of color that's southwest of that.

• Locked thread