Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That's what's going on in mine, definitely. My income has more than tripled since 2011, and I'm using the extra after maxing out my 401(k) to pay down my wife's ungodly student loan debt. Given her 8.8% interest rate, it's the better option right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It still amazes me that I make triple what anyone else I know in real life (at my age) makes, and yet I'm barely breaking the married 60th percentile on this forum. :haw: Selection bias is amazing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

For reals. I studied math, man, what the hell am I doing writing romance novels for a living?

I feel like there's so much income inequality in this young age group due to job instability in this economy and most relatively stable job fields being decimated by the increased efficiency and productivity made possible through technology. BFC-type people hustle like gently caress to work it to their advantage, but most of my peers are at a loss for what to do. They're all competing for a dwindling number of entry level jobs, driving down salaries. At the same time, content creators, including coders, can make bank because of how easy the estribution model has made it to sell content. I don't agree with everything Seth Godin says, but he called it early - attention is the new currency that's making people rich, and these opportunities are now available to everyone with an internet connection.

I agree with this and it matches what I'm seeing for my peers as well. I got lucky and landed into a lovely but lucrative pharma career, but most of the people I went to college with are still at $50K or so salaries (this is 8 years later, mind you -- I'm not saying $50K out of college), struggling to make ends meet in expensive cities, getting laid off every 6-12 months, etc. I mean, this is a crowd of Ivy League engineers and scientists, and they can't get a decent loving job to save their lives. The only ones I know who are doing well are the ones who said gently caress STEM and went into finance or unionized Amtrak positions of all things.

Estribution, as much as I hate the term, is amazing. I love the writing career and while I haven't hit the jackpot the way you have yet, I have more hope for it as a future career than I do for my actual career.

• Locked thread