Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poopinmymouth posted:

Could we get a TL:DW?

For example, I'm pro choice, but here in Iceland, it's not even possible to get a third trimester abortion (though we have epic reproductive rights in all other aspects) and I see that most of the scandinavian nations are similar. Why is it that the US needs late term abortions (outside of the health issues)? Is it purely because of the lack of reproductive rights and education early on?

:siren: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Savita_Halappanavar :siren:

Also note that most late term abortions are due to severe birth defect. The people who are getting them are not those who lack "reproductive rights and education" as you imply. They're those who wanted to have a baby and then discovered something went horribly wrong. People who get abortions because of birth control failure overwhelmingly get them as early as possible.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Senethro posted:

I honestly can't tell what his point is but somehow just looking at these two panels makes me feel anxious. The kind that asks "Am I dreaming or did a real person actually draw this?"
I deeply suspect that whoever made that cartoon doesn't give a poo poo about ~black babies~ as soon as they are born and start needing basic things like healthcare and education, but family planning in general helps to reduce poverty and unwanted children across communities. They're being deliberately disingenuous by implying that you're some kind of racist eugenicist if you want to grant equal reproductive rights to black women. It's a surprisingly common tactic, and it got used to try and hijack #blacklivesmatter recently.

Effectronica posted:

Lawl. You're redeeming yourself crowfeathers.
Is that a reference to something?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I don't know how I forgot this onion article

quote:

Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex

TOPEKA, KS—Planned Parenthood announced Tuesday the grand opening of its long-planned $8 billion Abortionplex, a sprawling abortion facility that will allow the organization to terminate unborn lives with an efficiency never before thought possible.

During a press conference, Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards told reporters that the new state-of-the-art fetus-killing facility located in the nation's heartland offers quick, easy, in-and-out abortions to all women, and represents a bold reinvention of the group's long-standing mission and values.

"Although we've traditionally dedicated 97 percent of our resources to other important services such as contraception distribution, cancer screening, and STD testing, this new complex allows us to devote our full attention to what has always been our true passion: abortion," said Richards, standing under a banner emblazoned with Planned Parenthood's new slogan, "No Life Is Sacred." "And since Congress voted to retain our federal funding, it's going to be that much easier for us to maximize the number of tiny, beating hearts we stop every day."

"The Abortionplex's high-tech machinery is capable of terminating one pregnancy every three seconds," Richards added. "That's almost a million abortions every month. We're so thrilled!"

The 900,000-square-foot facility has more than 2,000 rooms dedicated to the abortion procedure. The abundance of surgical space, Richards said, will ensure that women visiting the facility can be quickly fitted into stirrups without pausing to second-guess their decision or consider alternatives such as adoption. Hundreds of on-site counselors are also available to meet with clients free of charge and go over the many ways that carrying a child to term will burden them and very likely ruin their lives.

The remaining space is dedicated to amenities such as coffee shops, bars, dozens of restaurants and retail outlets, a three-story nightclub, and a 10-screen multiplex theater—features intended not only to help clients relax, but to foster a sense of community and make abortion more of a social event.

"We really want abortion to become a regular part of women's lives, especially younger women who have enough fertile years ahead of them to potentially have dozens of abortions," said Richards, adding that the Abortionplex would provide shuttle service to and from most residences, schools, and shopping malls in the region. "Our hope is for this facility to become a regular destination where a woman in her second trimester can whoop it up at karaoke and then kick back while we vacuum out the contents of her uterus."

"All women should feel like they have a home at the Abortionplex," Richards continued. "Whether she's a high school junior who doesn't want to go to prom pregnant, a go-getter professional who can't be bothered with the time commitment of raising a child, or a prostitute who knows getting an abortion is the easiest form of birth control—all are welcome."

Nineteen-year-old Marcy Kolrath, one of the Abortionplex's first clients, told reporters that despite her initial hesitancy, she was quickly put at ease by staff members who reassured her that she could have abortions over and over for the next decade before finally committing to motherhood. Kolrath also said she was "wowed" by the facility's many attractions.

"I was kind of on the fence in the beginning," she said. "But after a couple of margaritas and a ride down the lazy river they've got circling the place, I got caught up in the vibe. By the time it was over, I almost wished I could've aborted twins and gotten to stay a little longer."

"I told my boyfriend we had to have sex again that very night," Kolrath added. "I really want to come back over Labor Day."

A congressman fell for it

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 23, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's the latest that an abortion can safely be performed without seriously risking the life of the mother?

At no point is abortion any more dangerous than giving birth, although I would guess toward the end of the pregnancy they're more equivalent. But birth is fairly dangerous and abortion is, at worst, like birth but with fewer constraints on the procedure.

In any case, a first or second trimester abortion is one of the safest surgical procedures.

E: \/ \/ yes good point. The risks are about equivalent for either choice (in that they're minimal).

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 23, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SurgicalOntologist posted:

At no point is abortion any more dangerous than giving birth, although I would guess toward the end of the pregnancy they're more equivalent. But birth is fairly dangerous and abortion is, at worst, like birth but with fewer constraints on the procedure.

In any case, a first or second trimester abortion is one of the safest surgical procedures.

Not to mention early first trimester abortions don't have to be surgery at all - they have pills for that.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Xibanya posted:

Not to mention early first trimester abortions don't have to be surgery at all - they have pills for that.

Yeah, 1/3 of all abortions are done via pill, not procedure.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Senethro posted:

I honestly can't tell what his point is but somehow just looking at these two panels makes me feel anxious. The kind that asks "Am I dreaming or did a real person actually draw this?"

Neither, it's an edit.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Chamale posted:

Neither, it's an edit.

Thank christ for that. It was too plausible and yet impossibly vile.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Senethro posted:

Thank christ for that. It was too plausible and yet impossibly vile.

thanks

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
is DND like the slowest forum ever you fuckers need to sleep oir what why aren't you guys doing drugs al the loving time at least then you might be worth listening to i mean i got no point

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
toiletlord go to bed you drunk gently caress

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Miltank posted:

toiletlord go to bed you drunk gently caress

the sooner i go to sleep the faster it feels like i have to go back to work

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i hear in china it is fashion able to stuff the scraps of your meal of eating a fetus up your side ways vagina

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i think 'fashion' in china basically means whatever the latest defects or cancelled orders from the sweatshops are

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Pro-lifers trying to ban abortion are going about it completely the wrong way. You only have to look at the USA or Britain before abortion was legalised to see the kind of carnage that went on last time it was banned: people that had enough money and contacts might be able to get abortions from doctors, poor folk would either self-abort or go to a backstreet abortionist and end up mutilated or dead, and everyone risked being reported to the police by their doctors and being imprisoned.
It's happening in El Salvador now, where abortion is illegal: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/magazine/09abortion.html?pagewanted=all You just have to hope that your doctor will help you and that they're not denounced by any of the other hospital staff.
You have to ask why so many people are willing to go through even that, when they can't access safe and painless abortion, rather than childbirth. Thinking about it from my own point of view, I'm on an extremely common anti-depressant that can cause birth defects, so if I got pregnant it'd be with a severely ill or non-viable child, or I'd have to come off the meds suddenly in the early stages without having the chance to plan for the pregnancy and come off them slowly, and I'd get hit with withdrawal, regular depression and post-natal depression and probably end up killing myself and possibly the (now fully conscious) kid as well, so yes, I probably would rather self-abort. Childbirth is a wonderful thing if it's prepared for and the mother gets proper medical care, but it can be very dangerous - the foetus is so integrated with the mother's body that it's difficult to talk about them in separate terms before birth.
It's much like being a living organ donor: the donor is keeping another being alive at the cost of their own health and having to spend time in hospital. I think if abortion is banned for all reasons, then it would be consistent to ban refusing to donate blood or marrow or a kidney or portion of liver when a stranger needs it and you're a match for them - in fact it should carry a worse punishment, because the recipient could have dependents, and there's no debate about them being fully human or fully conscious.

I saw a pro-life group on TV once that I thought were very good: it was on some documentary about teenage mothers, but these guys were interesting, they were a Catholic church group that had set up in their local area to help out mothers. They didn't try to ban abortion or protest against it, but instead they'd get in contact with people in their area who'd already independently decided to keep an unplanned pregnancy, and they'd offer to babysit when the mum was at work or in education (or just needed a break), and collect old baby clothes and toys and furniture from parents whose kids had outgrown them to give to them, and they had social clubs for parents and children of different ages so the mum and the kid could make friends. They tried to make carrying an unplanned pregnancy to term as easy and happy an experience as they could, so that more people would choose it and wouldn't feel like abortion was their only option. I think if you want to bring down the number of abortions, safe or otherwise, that (combined with better provision of contraception and more prosecution of rapists) is how to do it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Xibanya posted:

Speaking of eugenics, this attitude is pretty hosed up because it implies only the wealthy are worthy of passing on their precious genetic material.

Except that deliberately having a kid when you can't afford one is legitimately not such an awesome idea. In and of itself, reminding people of that isn't necessarily discriminatory. The problem is when people use "If you can't afford a kid don't have one" as an excuse to oppose government assistance for low-income families, or mindlessly criticize people who might have had birth control fail on them (or not have had it readily available, or not been educated on its proper use).

Stottie Kyek posted:

Pro-lifers trying to ban abortion are going about it completely the wrong way.

When they go about it the wrong way, it's usually because their beliefs strictly prohibit them from going about it the right way. Either their religious ideology prohibits birth control, or their political ideology prohibits spending tax money to help the less fortunate, or they can't help themselves what they see an opportunity for some good old-fashioned slut shaming.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

When they go about it the wrong way, it's usually because their beliefs strictly prohibit them from going about it the right way. Either their religious ideology prohibits birth control, or their political ideology prohibits spending tax money to help the less fortunate, or they can't help themselves what they see an opportunity for some good old-fashioned slut shaming.

Haven't spotted this being posted:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/10/how-i-lost-faith-in-the-pro-life-movement.html

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Abortion should be allowed until a baby can pass the red dot/mirror test.

Post-natal abortion by any means necessary.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I feel like I should say something but I can't imagine what.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I feel like I should say something but I can't imagine what.

Kind of my reaction.

Nothing is sacred :(

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Xibanya posted:

:siren: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Savita_Halappanavar :siren:

Also note that most late term abortions are due to severe birth defect. The people who are getting them are not those who lack "reproductive rights and education" as you imply. They're those who wanted to have a baby and then discovered something went horribly wrong. People who get abortions because of birth control failure overwhelmingly get them as early as possible.

It was just a hypothetical guess on my part. I'm honestly curious why countries with otherwise superb reproductive rights still ban third trimester abortion and it doesn't seem like many people mind. I want to know if that is a problem and it should be allowed without question, or if other more effective solutions make it so many less are even needed.

Plus this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_termination_of_pregnancy

seems to suggest it is indeed poor reproductive rights and education stateside:

In 1987, the Alan Guttmacher Institute collected questionnaires from 1,900 women in the United States who came to clinics to have abortions. Of the 1,900 questioned, 420 had been pregnant for 16 or more weeks. These 420 women were asked to choose among a list of reasons they had not obtained the abortions earlier in their pregnancies. The results were as follows:[2]
71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
6% Woman didn't know timing is important
5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion
2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
11% Other

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how they can't bring themselves to make the direct comparison of "like allowing darker skinned black people to be lynched when they're in someone else's property without their permission", because that's probably something they support.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If babys were allowed their second amendment rights then this abortion massacre wouldn't have happened.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

It was just a hypothetical guess on my part. I'm honestly curious why countries with otherwise superb reproductive rights still ban third trimester abortion and it doesn't seem like many people mind. I want to know if that is a problem and it should be allowed without question, or if other more effective solutions make it so many less are even needed.

Plus this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_termination_of_pregnancy

seems to suggest it is indeed poor reproductive rights and education stateside:

In 1987, the Alan Guttmacher Institute collected questionnaires from 1,900 women in the United States who came to clinics to have abortions. Of the 1,900 questioned, 420 had been pregnant for 16 or more weeks. These 420 women were asked to choose among a list of reasons they had not obtained the abortions earlier in their pregnancies. The results were as follows:[2]
71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
6% Woman didn't know timing is important
5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion
2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
11% Other

So... no response for this?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

all i can think of is the super fat women who dont realize theyre pregnant until a kid pops out of them

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

all i can think of is the super fat women who dont realize theyre pregnant until a kid pops out of them
Its not just 'super fat' women. Your first pregnancy you don't really show much until about the 5th-6th month for some women, even stick-thin ones, and if you have few or none of the stereotypical early pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness you can easily write the less common ones off as stress (fatigue, weight gain, loss of appetite, missing period). Combine that with denial and it can easily go past 12 weeks without a clue.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

I don't understand why late-term abortion would need to be banned while we wait for reproductive health education to improve.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

imho babies should also be legal to kill since they cant pass the mirror test either

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I don't understand why late-term abortion would need to be banned while we wait for reproductive health education to improve.

I didn't argue for that. I am simply curious if there is a clear reason *why* they are so necessary in the US. It seems like the answer is because the rest of reproductive rights are so poo poo, so they need to remain, but since this is a discussion thread about abortion, I wanted to discuss it to see if there were any other ideas as to why.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poopinmymouth posted:

The list in your quote is from 1987, at least use the more recent one, where defects found later in pregnancy is 13% rather than 2% (quite a jump!) I imagine part of the difference is accounted for with advances in prenatal screening. It's also unclear how many late-term abortions were reported total from 1987 and how many there were in 2004. I'm aware of the sample size of each survey, but without the total population they are meant to represent it is difficult to compare the two surveys. The same wikipedia article also says that the number of abortions total has been decreasing dramatically since 1990.

More recent survey posted:

74% Having a baby would dramatically change my life
73% Cannot afford a baby now
48% Do not want to be a single mother or having relationship problems
38% Have completed my childbearing
32% Not ready for another child
25% Do not want people to know I had sex or got pregnant
22% Do not feel mature enough to raise another child
14% Husband or partner wants me to have an abortion
13% Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus
12% Concerns about my health
6% Parents want me to have an abortion
1% Was a victim of rape

The results do not necessarily suggest that poor sex education causes late-term abortions. (To be clear, I am most certainly in favor of improving sex education.)

Your original question was essentially "Why does the US need late-term abortions when European countries don't?" The question implies banning late-term abortions is desirable, but I'll set that aside for now. It looks like the top results involve social and economic situations that would create a suboptimal environment for raising an additional child. My argument would be we need to permit late-term abortions because it is bad to force people to have babies they know they aren't capable of supporting (financially, emotionally, etc).

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Xibanya posted:

The list in your quote is from 1987, at least use the more recent one, where defects found later in pregnancy is 13% rather than 2% (quite a jump!) I imagine part of the difference is accounted for with advances in prenatal screening. It's also unclear how many late-term abortions were reported total from 1987 and how many there were in 2004. I'm aware of the sample size of each survey, but without the total population they are meant to represent it is difficult to compare the two surveys. The same wikipedia article also says that the number of abortions total has been decreasing dramatically since 1990.

The results do not necessarily suggest that poor sex education causes late-term abortions. (To be clear, I am most certainly in favor of improving sex education.)

Your original question was essentially "Why does the US need late-term abortions when European countries don't?" The question implies banning late-term abortions is desirable, but I'll set that aside for now. It looks like the top results involve social and economic situations that would create a suboptimal environment for raising an additional child. My argument would be we need to permit late-term abortions because it is bad to force people to have babies they know they aren't capable of supporting (financially, emotionally, etc).

I realize my arguments might sound like I'm a "just asking questions" crypto pro-life troll. That is not the case. I am 100% in pro choice.

I (as I'm sure really everyone) find late term abortions extremely heartbreaking. I realize the alternative, having an unwanted child, risking the mother's health, or even forcing someone to raise a child they don't have the means to support is worse. I do not want to ban them. I want to make the need for them whither away as much as possible through better support in earlier areas.

The reason I would like the nice neat answer of "because the US is so poo poo at early stage support" is when arguing against my pro-life relatives who make it seem like late term abortion is all that happens, that it's their only real objection, and that thousands of doctors are giggling in glee in a real life version of the Onion's abortionplex, I want to be able to show it's actually their own views and party's platform that makes late term abortion necessary stateside, when it's nearly non existent if not outright banned in other nations that "do reproduction rights (more) correctly".

Cause without hard numbers (which I did provide), even 13% is a pretty woefully low number compared to the other reasons late term abortions were sought.

*edit* whoops, missed that quote of yours

Most of those reasons could easily be applied to seeking an abortion before 16 weeks though? Like all of the top 8 are logic choices one can decide upon from the first day you know you're pregnant.

I realize they are affected by the lovely economic situation a lot of them are in, which is another kettle of fish all together.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not really seeing a significant difference between early and late term abortions myself.

I guess early term abortions would be easier but people are silly and indecisive.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Not really seeing a significant difference between early and late term abortions myself.

I guess early term abortions would be easier but people are silly and indecisive.

Even without any "beep boop, I'm a robot without emotions" talking about the actual procedures which are quite a bit more horrendous than early abortion, how about the fact they do carry higher risks on the mother AND at some state those are viable fetuses capable of surviving outside of the womb in many cases?

Like if you are going to get an abortion, there are very few reasons outside of financial access, education, or physical access to wait til a later stage.

The argument for easy legal free abortions is that people will pursue them anyway dangerously, or you will have heaps of unwanted or uncared for children, yet amazingly, these slippery slopes play out quite infrequently in nations that ban late term abortions (but have otherwise excellent access to reproductive rights and sex education). People just go and get them earlier.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can understand the importance if they're state funded, as more complex and preventable medical procedures can drain the already limited funding available to national healthcare programs. If they are privately funded or not drawn from the healthcare budget in general, that becomes a bit less of a problem though obviously still, it is better to encourage people to try to minimise the expense of their healthcare where possible.

If you want to make the case for banning late term abortion I guess you would need to conclusively prove that people do just get them earlier when they aren't available late. Rather than simply delaying until it's too late and then ending up without much in the way of options. Some people obviously will get them earlier but you'd really need some statistics either way I think if you're trying to decide whether or not the financial benefits of banning late term abortion are more worthwhile than the social and financial benefits of allowing it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I can understand the importance if they're state funded, as more complex and preventable medical procedures can drain the already limited funding available to national healthcare programs. If they are privately funded or not drawn from the healthcare budget in general, that becomes a bit less of a problem though obviously still, it is better to encourage people to try to minimise the expense of their healthcare where possible.

If you want to make the case for banning late term abortion I guess you would need to conclusively prove that people do just get them earlier when they aren't available late. Rather than simply delaying until it's too late and then ending up without much in the way of options. Some people obviously will get them earlier but you'd really need some statistics either way I think if you're trying to decide whether or not the financial benefits of banning late term abortion are more worthwhile than the social and financial benefits of allowing it.

Are we in DnD operating under the assumption that a fetus should be given no thought til it has been expelled by the mother? Like I'm not one to say life begins at conception, but isn't there some point where it's literally killing an otherwise viable fetus? what about week 39.5? 38? where is the line where it becomes a pretty grotesque operation that should have been avoided by better societal measures AND choices by the intended parent(s).

To try to be more clear. Assuming we have much better sex-ed, free contraception of all forms, free abortion without restriction, generous social safety nets and education systems, would that not drop the amount of late term abortions in nearly all cases other than extreme health risk to the mother that was not found until the end? That is my ideal scenario, not banning it, just fixing all the other areas that make it seemingly necessary stateside, and not even on the radar of human rights groups in other nations (that I know of, welcome to be shown it's something people argue against banning in say, scandinavia, and the reasons as to why).

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know what the DnD consensus is, if any. Personally I would argue that the value of human life is accrued over time as we experience things and become unique people with thoughts, lives, relationships etc. It is also lost as those things are, which is why euthanasia of the brain-dead isn't immoral because all the things that give that person value have already been destroyed. The value of human life isn't a biological function, nor is it something that exists in-potentia, otherwise all abortion and indeed, any activity that doesn't directly contribute to producing more humans 24/7, would also be immoral. It's something you have for most of the time you are alive and cognizant, but isn't really precisely quantifiable in the sense of "you have it after X weeks of existing" or whatever.

If you want my personal opinion as it applies to babies, they don't magically become valuable humans upon birth, but at the same time, why would you want to kill one after it's been born? The justification for abortion is usually medical risk to the mother or that the pregnancy wasn't intentional and the parents are not in a position to support a child. Both of which make sense but neither of which would generally apply suddenly, after the birth has taken place. Also actually trying to judge whether it's OK to kill any particular child would obviously never produce a result that many people would be happy with, so abortions serve as a point at which more people can agree that life doesn't have value yet. With things that have a legal component such as the acceptability of taking human life, it is usually necessary to draw the legal line a good distance into the generally acceptable side of the debate.

Better sex education and access to contraception and early stage abortions are certainly good things, and should be pursued for plenty of reasons outside of preventing late term abortions. As to whether they would be universally effective in preventing them, like I said I can't tell you that, you would need statistics on the matter and I don't know if they are available.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 30, 2015

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If you want my personal opinion as it applies to babies, they don't magically become valuable humans upon birth, but at the same time, why would you want to kill one after it's been born? The justification for abortion is usually medical risk to the mother or that the pregnancy wasn't intentional and the parents are not in a position to support a child. Both of which make sense but neither of which would generally apply suddenly, after the birth has taken place. Also actually trying to judge whether it's OK to kill any particular child would obviously never produce a result that many people would be happy with, so abortions serve as a point at which more people can agree that life doesn't have value yet. With things that have a legal component such as the acceptability of taking human life, it is usually necessary to draw the legal line a good distance into the generally acceptable side of the debate.

I think you have the same (strange) personal opinion that I do. A painless euthanization of a newborn doesn't seem like any more of a wrong than a late term abortion. But of course, in real life we have to draw an arbitrary line. (Like, we say that an intelligent 17 year old is a child while a blubbering 19 year old dolt is an adult.)

Avoiding pain is still important, though. From earlier:

Talmonis posted:

They're alive and can dream and think. Sure, it's basic, but it's still human life. I understand if it's not enough for you and for others, but it is for me. Maybe human life has no inherent meaning or value, but honestly I don't think I want to live in a world where that's the prevailing view.

It's life. It's alive and can dream and think, like a cat does, and it's wrong to inflict suffering. I view a fetus as a real, living thing, just not a human life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, but it is also wrong to inflict suffering by say, carrying a child through to viability if you don't intend to raise it properly. You can't force people to raise their children properly and society is not particularly inclined to step in and shoulder that burden. So in that instance, a late term abortion would seem like the lesser evil. Flinching from it because of personal unwillingness to take a life seems incorrect, unless you also plan to personally ensure the child is well looked after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I think of myself as pretty progressive but I don't think I should die just because my dad raped my mom, what's so weird about that?

• Locked thread