Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In that case I am having trouble following both sides of the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
There are so many things to address but I'm phone posting so I'll just examine the last one. The argument is "just because the law will cause people whose attempted suicide induced their own miscarriage to be jailed doesn't mean the law is a bad idea."

This only makes sense if you view a fetus as a full person. However, even if you do, it makes the law target only women, which is pretty unfair. Yes, if someone attempted to commit suicide by shooting themselves and they misfired and shot someone else in the room, they would rightly be prosecuted for the injury/death of that person, but there is just no way a man could swallow poison and spontaneously cause some other human to die. So right out of the gate, this type of murder charge affects women only. Given that some of the women who have been prosecuted under this law didn't even know they were pregnant, it means that we have breakdowns like this:
Of all men in that state, x% will attempt suicide in their lifetime and x% will not succeed on at least one attempt.
Of all women in that state, x% will attempt suicide, of those x%, x% will not succeed on at least one attempt, and of those x% will have been pregnant during that attempt and x% of those will lose their pregnancy as a result of the attempt. That last group is now subject to criminal prosecution.
You may say that group is small - but I can guarantee you that the number of men being prosecuted for same is 0.

Bear in mind also that unless a person is terminally ill, the decision to commit suicide is never a rational one. It is one made by a person whose thinking is disordered in some way (probably by depression). Statistically speaking, most suicides are spur of the moment. Furthermore, going back to the stats above - women are more likely to attempt suicide by poisoning themselves than men. Men are more likely to use firearms, one reason why they tend to succeed more often than women. Looking at it that way, given that poison is the suicide of choice for women, personhood laws have the perverse effect of targeting depressed women disproportionately.

And how is society served by jailing a woman whose suicide induced her own miscarriage? Is it because they are dangerous and need to be locked away from the general public? Absent a history of violent crime, the person has proved themselves to be a danger only to...themselves. "Ah, but she'll serve as an example to other suicidal women! Don't try to commit suicide or you might miscarry the pregnancy you may or may not have!" one might say. Research has shown, however, that people who attempt suicide are not behaving rationally. Suicide is nearly always a "crime of passion," as it were. Not to mention it's pretty gross to tell women to behave as if they might be pregnant at all times - by that logic women should never be allowed to drink or run in marathons until menopause. The other argument would be "she committed manslaughter, no two ways around it," which brings me back to the above point, there is zero way for a man to commit manslaughter by poisoning himself (unless you dream up some crazy scenario like "pilot takes 300 sleeping pills while flying passengers," which, come on, is deliberate murder-suicide.) a manslaughter charge should come when someone does something that a reasonable person knows could endanger the life of another.

And on to the economic concerns - this jailed person is now without a job, probably now unemployable, and is living on the taxpayer's dime. Any children she may have in the future are more likely to make use of taxpayer funded welfare programs. Any existing children she may have are either now in a one-parent household (if they're lucky) or are now wards of the state.

Just to cap it off, I think it's entirely within reason to put the following hypothetical person in jail: a depressed woman gets in her car and decides to kill herself by driving the wrong way down the interstate at 100mph. She crashes head on into a motorcycle, killing the driver. She should receive a manslaughter charge because even a suicidal person knows doing that will hurt somebody.

So someone who believes fetuses should be considered full people may say "yep this law makes men and women unequal under the law, but so what, it will punish baby-killers." Here's another angle to consider - the women going to jail are almost all poor. They are almost all minorities. Wealthy white women don't get in trouble for this. In supporting this law you are supporting terrorizing more poor families. Because fetuses are people, but white women's fetuses are less people than others. White people do get off easier in aggregate for manslaughter charges, but for these self-induced miscarriages where it all comes down to a doctor's subjective opinion, how many will see the suffering white woman whose suicide attempt caused her to miscarry and think "she looks like my daughter!" vs a POC he can write off as "ugh, another one of those irresponsible blagh people!"

Personhood laws are insane and cause undue suffering. If you care about human life you must oppose them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Xibanya posted:

There are so many things to address but I'm phone posting so I'll just examine the last one. The argument is "just because the law will cause people whose attempted suicide induced their own miscarriage to be jailed doesn't mean the law is a bad idea."

This only makes sense if you view a fetus as a full person.
Right, which means it's only a defect if you are opposed to abortion laws. Which means it isn't a reason to oppose abortion laws, and it is instead a stance that is a product of opposing abortion laws.

quote:

However, even if you do, it makes the law target only women, which is pretty unfair. Yes, if someone attempted to commit suicide by shooting themselves and they misfired and shot someone else in the room, they would rightly be prosecuted for the injury/death of that person, but there is just no way a man could swallow poison and spontaneously cause some other human to die.
Men can injure pregnant people in a way that causes fetuses to die. Clearly abortion laws disproportionately affect pregnant people, but I think abortion laws survive a strict scrutiny analysis if you presume that protecting fetuses is a good thing whatsoever (which I don't, but if you want to argue a law is bad, you need to convince the people who think it is good).

quote:

Personhood laws are insane and cause undue suffering. If you care about human life you must oppose them.
Right, a good reason to oppose abortion laws is because they cause undue suffering, not because overzealous prosecutors might abusively prosecute people who had spontaneous miscarriages.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

twodot posted:

Men can injure pregnant people in a way that causes fetuses to die. Clearly abortion laws disproportionately affect pregnant people, but I think abortion laws survive a strict scrutiny analysis if you presume that protecting fetuses is a good thing whatsoever (which I don't, but if you want to argue a law is bad, you need to convince the people who think it is good).

Pretty sure this one would be covered under rape laws, but in the end, the target of the law is the female, not the male as the male is not carrying the fetus.

Let me help you again: The Bill as was set before the Alabama legislature requires the mother to show that the miscarriage was 'natural', or face felony charges up to life in prison. The Bill specifically makes it near to impossible for the defendant to defend themselves, and unduly makes women the targets of prosecution.

Creating bills to 'protect fetuses' is just a poor mans end run around Roe Vs. Wade. There is no other way this can be interpreted. The groups that back these laws are overwhelmingly anti-abortion, and generally the same ones who push laws to limit/close abortion access.

Mississippi's law makes it possible to prosecute a mother for stillbirths related to drug use, etc. These laws are not there to protect fetuses. They are there to target women.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 2, 2015

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty sure this one would be covered under rape laws, but in the end, the target of the law is the female, not the male as the male is not carrying the fetus.

Let me help you again: The Bill as was set before the Alabama legislature requires the mother to show that the miscarriage was 'natural', or face felony charges up to life in prison. The Bill specifically makes it near to impossible for the defendant to defend themselves, and unduly makes women the targets of prosecution.

Creating bills to 'protect fetuses' is just a poor mans end run around Roe Vs. Wade. There is no other way this can be interpreted.
I don't understand the connection between what you quoted and what you posted. Most injuries that cause a miscarriage would not fall under rape laws as far as I'm aware, but the name of the law is completely inconsequential to my point which is that this "there is just no way a man could swallow poison and spontaneously cause some other human to die." isn't thinking broadly enough. Yes, that narrow statement is true, but men (and in general everyone) are fully capable of causing other humans to die including fetuses. So while laws protecting fetuses have disparate impact on pregnant people, they do not solely govern pregnant people.

Ok Alabama did a thing, I haven't read the thing Alabama did, but I'll believe you for now. This has nothing to do with anything I've said.

Yes obviously bills that protect fetuses are trying to ignore Roe v Wade (or perhaps provoke an appeal to overturn Roe v Wade). No one suggested we interpret it any other way. Xibanya was noting that abortion laws has disparate impact on women (which is true), but the relevant standard for that is strict scrutiny, and I think that whether or not abortion laws in general pass strict scrutiny is based on whether or not you think fetuses need protection, which means that the disparate impact argument is ineffective against the people you are trying to convince that abortion laws are bad things. There's been several circular arguments in this thread that only work if you already believe abortion laws are bad.

edit:
Ok Mississippi also did a thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Just because officials might misuse the Poll Tax doesn't mean we shouldn't have one!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CommieGIR posted:

The bill specifically required women to 'demonstrate that their miscarriage was natural or face felony charges'

Wow, that innocent until proven guilty thing sure was fun, wasn't it?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i am pro life, feel free to hate me (and your parents) d&d

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

The bill specifically required women to 'demonstrate that their miscarriage was natural or face felony charges'
How do they even define natural for that purpose? Pomegranate and ergot of rye are natural. Gin and hot baths are natural.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

You inject your child with love rather than vaccines as well, a true American.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Blue Raider posted:

It's cool, some people know their desire to control women can't be defended or rationalized. Never be afraid to be yourself!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blue Raider posted:

What a contribution to the thread!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

I am so mad IRL right now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

i'm mad your parents didnt abort you to spare us from your posting

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
First the anti-choice movement made up a thing called “partial-birth abortion.” Now they’re trying the same thing with “dismemberment abortion.”

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/01/31/3617078/fetal-dismemberment-bills/

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Cannibal Holocaust Abortions.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

twodot posted:

Right, a good reason to oppose abortion laws is because they cause undue suffering, not because overzealous prosecutors might abusively prosecute people who had spontaneous miscarriages.

By what twisted logic does getting hosed over by an rear end in a top hat prosecutor not count as "undue suffering"?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

By what twisted logic does getting hosed over by an rear end in a top hat prosecutor not count as "undue suffering"?
First, it's not at all clear to me that abortion laws lead to prosecutions of people who had spontaneous miscarriages. Someone earlier tried to provide some examples, but none of them were relevant. If abortion laws don't lead to that, then it would not be included in the "undue suffering" caused by abortion laws. More importantly, if your standard is "We should not have laws which an overzealous prosecutor might abusively prosecute people for", then you won't have any laws. The correct way to deal with bad prosecutors is fire them, not rewrite laws, which they will continue to abuse anyways.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

twodot posted:

First, it's not at all clear to me that abortion laws lead to prosecutions of people who had spontaneous miscarriages. Someone earlier tried to provide some examples, but none of them were relevant. If abortion laws don't lead to that, then it would not be included in the "undue suffering" caused by abortion laws. More importantly, if your standard is "We should not have laws which an overzealous prosecutor might abusively prosecute people for", then you won't have any laws. The correct way to deal with bad prosecutors is fire them, not rewrite laws, which they will continue to abuse anyways.

nah you should do both

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

This is what happens when lawmakers with agendas think they can make decisions about your medical treatment, despite having little to no training in the medical field.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Women Who Had Abortions After 20 Weeks Explain Why They’re Necessary

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/02/03/3618460/20-week-abortion-stories/

From the article:

quote:

“When people talk about fetal pain, it infuriates me, because that was our goal,” Mary O’Donnell, a Virginia resident who had a post-20-week abortion back in 2005, told ThinkProgress. “Our goal as parents was to avoid suffering on behalf of our child.”
O’Donnell was pregnant with her first child, and excited to start her family with her husband, when a routine ultrasound at 12 weeks showed their unborn child’s organs were outside of its body. At first, it was unclear how serious the issue was. The doctors said the baby’s lungs were underdeveloped, but a series of surgeries might be able to put its organs back in place. O’Donnell and her husband decided to wait to do more genetic testing and get a closer look at their unborn daughter’s heart.
“We wanted to give our child every possible opportunity. If she was going to survive, we wanted to give her that opportunity,” O’Donnell said. “So we waited.”
They had to wait until around the 20 week mark to do more testing on her heart. At that point, they found out it wasn’t strong enough, and their child probably wouldn’t survive the surgeries necessary to move her organs. They decided to end the pregnancy by inducing labor, a form of abortion that allowed O’Donnell to deliver her daughter, who never took a breath. She named her Naomi.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Also relevant

http://feministing.com/2015/02/04/indiana-woman-found-guilty-of-feticide-and-neglect-for-having-a-miscarriage/

quote:

Yesterday a jury convicted Purvi Patel, the Indiana woman arrested after miscarrying and seeking help at the ER, after five hours of deliberation. She faces a maximum sentence of 70 years in prison.

Patel was found guilty of two mutually contradictory charges — feticide and felony neglect of a dependent. The former charge only holds if Patel intentionally terminated her pregnancy causing a miscarriage or stillbirth, while the latter only holds if she delivered a live, viable fetus. As Jessica Mason Pieklo explains, in order to try to cover both bases, prosecutors argued that Patel took abortion drugs that text messages indicated she’d ordered online “to induce a miscarriage but that instead of miscarrying, Patel delivered a live fetus that she abandoned.”

During the trial, the prosecution was unable to prove that Patel took abortion pills — the state’s own toxicologist admitted that he found no evidence of abortifacients in her body. And the only evidence that the fetus had been born alive — let alone was developed enough to actually be viable outside the uterus — was weak. But the jury still convicted on both counts.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

How horrifying. I'm curious about what evidence they came up with to claim she induced her own miscarriage.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite possibly they didn't and the jury just didn't like the look of her.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

A miscarriage is a terrible and traumatic thing to go through. Why would anyone want to further victimize women who endure such a tragedy if there is little to no evidence that they induced it? And where will it stop? Will this country start blaming women when they give birth to ill babies?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pixelated Dragon posted:

A miscarriage is a terrible and traumatic thing to go through. Why would anyone want to further victimize women who endure such a tragedy if there is little to no evidence that they induced it? And where will it stop? Will this country start blaming women when they give birth to ill babies?

a lot of people have really visceral emotional reactions to dead fetuses

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

quote:

During the trial, the prosecution was unable to prove that Patel took abortion pills
Umm... from that same website:

quote:

they’ll still hold her accountable since she admitted to taking drugs to try to self-abort.
http://feministing.com/2014/08/27/another-indiana-woman-is-being-charged-with-feticide-after-seeking-medical-help/
Anti-abortion laws are bad, but we should have some basic consistency in facts.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pixelated Dragon posted:

A lot of anti-abortion sentiment is about punishing women for being in control of their sexuality. It's the patriarchy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

twodot posted:

http://feministing.com/2014/08/27/another-indiana-woman-is-being-charged-with-feticide-after-seeking-medical-help/

She wanted to abort. What's the problem? Considering Indiana has spent a lot of money trying to close down abortion clinics and make abortions hard to get, its surprising that someone might try to self-abort?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh man, this sucks.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

She wanted to abort. What's the problem? Considering Indiana has spent a lot of money trying to close down abortion clinics and make abortions hard to get, its surprising that someone might try to self-abort?
My main problem is that people are posting articles with blatant lies in them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

twodot posted:

My main problem is that people are posting articles with blatant lies in them.

No no no, hang on, even if we accept that the article has a lie in it, you've made it pretty clear you are okay with prosecuting women who self abort.

I'm still not buying that you are actually pro-choice.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

No no no, hang on, even if we accept that the article has a lie in it, you've made it pretty clear you are okay with prosecuting women who self abort.

I'm still not buying that you are actually pro-choice.
I actually have specifically stated multiple times that I'm not ok with that, but you keep on not knowing what words mean.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

According to http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/04/purvi-patel-found-guilty-feticide-unborn-childs-death her parents are strict hindus that wouldn't approve of having a kid out of wedlock, let alone having sex. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why she wasn't very knowledgeable on safe abortions, or that even acting on it would cause a ton of shame from her parents if they found out. Throw that in with the anti choice jury she got too. :(

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

This makes it a lot more grey now. Better access to first-trimester abortions in the state of Indiana could have easily prevented this. I still don't think she should have been sentenced to jail for this.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 4, 2015

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

twodot posted:

In a text to a friend she talked about it. She didn't admit guilt in a court of law or anything and it was never proven that she took them, so far as I can tell, and the two charges directly contradict each other; it's impossible (both legally and in the sense of "This makes no loving sense you moron!") to both neglect your child and commit pre-birth infanticide - which shows that the prosecutor wasn't concerned with consistency or reality.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

eNeMeE posted:

In a text to a friend she talked about it. She didn't admit guilt in a court of law or anything and it was never proven that she took them, so far as I can tell,
Eh...

quote:

According to court records, Patel said in text messages found on her phone that she had taken drugs to try to terminate her pregnancy
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/27/indiana-feticide-charge-is-the-latest-fallout-from-states-strict-anti-abortion-laws.html

quote:

and the two charges directly contradict each other; it's impossible (both legally and in the sense of "This makes no loving sense you moron!") to both neglect your child and commit pre-birth infanticide - which shows that the prosecutor wasn't concerned with consistency or reality.
The Indiana law in question appears to be:

quote:

A person who knowingly or intentionally terminates a human pregnancy with an intention other than to produce a live birth or to remove a dead fetus commits feticide, a Level 3 felony.
(35-42-1-6) Since the law is about intention instead of results, I don't think it's contradictory to charge her with both, but I also don't know why whether or not the charges were contradictory have anything to do with what I said.
edit:
Preemptive note to CommieGIR: noting that laws aren't contradictory is not an endorsement of said laws. Bad things can be bad without being contradictory.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is abortion flat out illegal in indiana or something? I thought it was legal everywhere in the US?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Is abortion flat out illegal in indiana or something? I thought it was legal everywhere in the US?
Abortion is regulated by 16-34-2-1, abortion is legal but only pursuant to those standards, in all cases a physician is required. After 20 weeks it's only allowed to protect the health of the mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So er, I guess the morning after pill is illegal and physicians aren't "persons" for the purpose of that law?

It's just weirdly worded.

• Locked thread