Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

Starz is loving cursed.

Seriously. Andy's death was tragic and having another prominent actor for their shows dealing with cancer in three years is terrible luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Totally forgot about this show, so it was a nice surprise to see the season premiere show up unexpectedly when I was flipping channels last night. This show is a little silly, but I enjoy it. Way better than the Jon Malkovich rip off version.

I swear though, the best part of the show is the drat intro. The loving music and skeletons. God drat is it wonderful. The only recent show intro that might top it is the intro for The Leftovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PTNHQND6MA

Almost feels like these intros may have been made by the same people? They are very similar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So who else is assuming a return of the presumed dead Billy? Especially after the beginning of the episode made a big deal about his death.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

muscles like this? posted:

So who else is assuming a return of the presumed dead Billy? Especially after the beginning of the episode made a big deal about his death.

It's his birthday. He has to!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Probably anyone who's read Treasure Island, is my guess.

edit to not sound so goddamned snarky: I think that his return will be the reason Flint gets his command back.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 26, 2015

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

my man-o-war.gif made the thread :toot:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This show is kind of weird since it keeps mixing real people and places with stuff from Treasure Island.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Rougey posted:

I hope they find him in the brigg. :ohdear:

Well, according to an advance preview of next week's episode that was just posted, it looks like this is exactly what's going to happen.

Man, I forgot how loving impossible it is to catch more than 40% of what Vane says the first time through. His nasal growl thing has surpassed Bale Batman in having to guess what he just said.

Flint's voice going all high-pitched at "Well, what the gently caress did you think was going to happen!?" was hilarious, though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Billy's been swimming for months, He's going to look like Aquaman when he walks out of the surf and straight into a bottle of rum.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

This show is kind of weird since it keeps mixing real people and places with stuff from Treasure Island.

That was intentional. If you notice one crew is entirely historical and the other crew is fantasy :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Billy's been swimming for months, He's going to look like Aquaman when he walks out of the surf and straight into a bottle of rum.

If you pre-order the whole season you get a free Billy Bones Bicep workout companion book

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i don't think i'm ready for that kind of physique.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

i don't think i'm ready for that kind of physique.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
^For a minute there I thought he had on a pair of huge wooden warhammer 40k boots

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hurdy gurdy
Hurdy gurdy
Rockin' everywhere

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Good first episode of the new season. The Nassau stuff was a little flat, but it feels like they jumped them a few weeks from where they left off while Flint's crew is picking up right where they left off. That's fine as the traveling time makes sense to do that and its best for the Nassau crew to establish a new status quo so it feels more different when Flint returns.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

3Romeo posted:

Probably anyone who's read Treasure Island, is my guess.

edit to not sound so goddamned snarky: I think that his return will be the reason Flint gets his command back.

Hey, some of us can't be bothered to read Treasure Island and watched Muppet Treasure Island instead.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
So glad this show is back, the Flint and Silver pairing is awesome.

Bit disappointed that Ned Low's speech to Eleanor came off a little flat, I get what they were going for that he's some sort of harsh pragmatic monster but the way the lines were delivered were so monotone. Hope the actor gets some better stuff this season, he was my favourite side character of Vikings.

Also Vane seemed a bit too chilled and nonchalant for what he went through last season, must be hanging out with those hippy burning man pirates he brought back a bit too much.

Still two minor quibbles aside, it was an awesome return loved the tension on the Man O War raid it was done amazingly.

Fingers crossed for Scottish fruit tits captain to make a return soon.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wizardstick posted:

So glad this show is back, the Flint and Silver pairing is awesome.

Bit disappointed that Ned Low's speech to Eleanor came off a little flat, I get what they were going for that he's some sort of harsh pragmatic monster but the way the lines were delivered were so monotone. Hope the actor gets some better stuff this season, he was my favourite side character of Vikings.

Also Vane seemed a bit too chilled and nonchalant for what he went through last season, must be hanging out with those hippy burning man pirates he brought back a bit too much.

Still two minor quibbles aside, it was an awesome return loved the tension on the Man O War raid it was done amazingly.

Fingers crossed for Scottish fruit tits captain to make a return soon.

I think Ned's lines were monotone to try and drive home that he is as comfortable killing someone as he is saying hello. I can't speak to whether it worked though because I was too busy getting mad at Eleanor because I'll get really close to liking her, but then someone will threaten her and then she'll just feel threatened instead of lopping their head off (or paying a third party to do it for her). Realistically, I don't see her keeping control of her island if she can't openly confront people once things might get violent.

Did they explain what happened to the Nite Crew of the Man O War that surely woke up once the shooting started? It seemed like there were too many of them for two dozen pirates to overpower.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

KatWithHands posted:

Well, according to an advance preview of next week's episode that was just posted, it looks like this is exactly what's going to happen.
:haw:

Billy ain't dead till he gets the black spot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Hatter posted:

Did they explain what happened to the Nite Crew of the Man O War that surely woke up once the shooting started? It seemed like there were too many of them for two dozen pirates to overpower.

Flint's crew came aboard and murked all of them, how did you not see that?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wizardstick posted:

Bit disappointed that Ned Low's speech to Eleanor came off a little flat, I get what they were going for that he's some sort of harsh pragmatic monster but the way the lines were delivered were so monotone.

I'm pretty sure that was the intention, or at least part of his act. He wasn't supposed to put any emotion into it because as he was saying himself, he doesn't feel anything.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I love this show. What happens when you lose two ships and most of your crew? Steal a bigger ship!

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

wizardstick posted:

my favourite side character of Vikings.
I thought I recognized the actor from somewhere, but was too lazy to IMDB it. Thanks for that. Glad he's got a new gig.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rocksicles posted:

Flint's crew came aboard and murked all of them, how did you not see that?

I saw them murder a bunch of guys, but even with the vast majority of crew on the beach doesn't a ship that size have something like 600 soldiers total? Even if they only left 5% of their crew onboard, they still outnumber the pirates. Maybe I just expected too much out of unarmed soldiers whose training may have consisted entirely of "here's how to put a metal ball into a cannon as fast as possible".

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Anyone know what's up with Starzplay? It prompts me to download silverlight or w/e everytime I try to use it, despite having it installed and having reinstalled it..

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Totally forgot about this show, so it was a nice surprise to see the season premiere show up unexpectedly when I was flipping channels last night. This show is a little silly, but I enjoy it. Way better than the Jon Malkovich rip off version.

I swear though, the best part of the show is the drat intro. The loving music and skeletons. God drat is it wonderful. The only recent show intro that might top it is the intro for The Leftovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PTNHQND6MA

Almost feels like these intros may have been made by the same people? They are very similar.

Leftover's opening is pretty good, not as good as Southland's though :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZ2tdUUS94

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Since we're comparing opening credits here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqdkDwOY9fw

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

I saw them murder a bunch of guys, but even with the vast majority of crew on the beach doesn't a ship that size have something like 600 soldiers total? Even if they only left 5% of their crew onboard, they still outnumber the pirates. Maybe I just expected too much out of unarmed soldiers whose training may have consisted entirely of "here's how to put a metal ball into a cannon as fast as possible".

They are playing fast and loose with the numbers.The spanish man of war has 100 cannons so 750+ sailors would not be weird.Taking any kind of boat with only 32 dudes is kinda silly.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lamadrid posted:

They are playing fast and loose with the numbers.The spanish man of war has 100 cannons so 750+ sailors would not be weird.Taking any kind of boat with only 32 dudes is kinda silly.

I can accept them taking a merchant vessel since most of the crew's training would probably involve being able to tie the poo poo out of a knot, but even 1v1 with the Spanish navy would probably result in a bunch of dead pirates even if they won.

Note: I know very little about age-of-sail combat so I'm welcome to being proved wrong.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
They did the plan because the majority of the ships crew was onshore protecting the gold. All that was awake onboard were a handful of watch. The rest of the skeleton crew were sleeping, and simply locking the few hatches up could contain them.

Specifically all the guys in the boats coming to the warship were the relief crew, so there were only the people onboard as were rowing to replace them.

I'm not sure where the gaggle of guys that captured them came from though.

700+ men to man cannons are not needed when the ship is at anchor, but I wonder what the plan was when another ship came along though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Hatter posted:

gently caress tent

The really really big crews on Man o Wars didn't really happen until the late 1700's and early 1800's

It might of had 300 sailors and 100 marines, possibly more. Many could of died in the battle, most probably on the beach looking for gold or out looking for pirates. Repairing the Lima

Problem is having that many extra's. He did say there was over a hundred soldiers on the Beach.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah just pretend that like 90% of the crew was on the beach since guarding a shitload of gold that's just sitting around is probably more difficult and more important than manning a giant gently caress-off ship that no one would mess with anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pirates liked fast ships, they often used smaller ships when bigger ones were taken and burnt. It's better to have 5 fast ships then one big floating fortress.

The slave ships were built for speed, because the cargo had a finite life span in the hold of a ship. Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, was a slaver ship.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Pirates liked fast ships, they often used smaller ships when bigger ones were taken and burnt. It's better to have 5 fast ships then one big floating fortress.

The slave ships were built for speed, because the cargo had a finite life span in the hold of a ship. Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, was a slaver ship.

Thats true but flint seems to always find himself getting into big broadside battles ;) plus that was the ship that they could get.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'll look good rolling into Nassau.

Wonder if they are using the same on deck set. It doesn't look anywhere close to being big enough.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Wonder if they are using the same on deck set. It doesn't look anywhere close to being big enough.

negative. I think we have 3 now.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

It's going to help take the fort from vane.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jst0rm posted:

negative. I think we have 3 now.

cool, are there any photos? the carpenter in me really wants to see them!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

cool, are there any photos? the carpenter in me really wants to see them!

I work in post audio so I'm 9000miles from the set. I see them because I see shots before vfx but for obvious reasons I cant share any of that wip stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

The crew left on the ship are probably just sailors with little training or experience in close quarters fighting. It's also not that ahistorical, here is an instance where 100 British marines and sailors rowed up to a Spanish frigate with about 400 crew and took the ship while suffering only 11 wounded and none dead. 119 Spaniards were killed with the rest captured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_out_of_the_Hermione

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah the problem with a big ship is first you'll have a hard time catching anybody, and second you'll never really be able to outgun an actual navy because they could always just send a small flotilla(which you can't outrun in your big ship).

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread