Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Still relevant:

I'm hoping we get a good intro to Blackbeard this coming season.

How about Blackbeard going down on "Blackbeard"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm hoping we get a good intro to Blackbeard this coming season.

Gun Coat

I'm sure of it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Season 3 trailer !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3SRUXOnWQ0

And the poster starring the Coat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy fuuuuuck, Silver with that beard and the metal as gently caress peg leg.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

January can't come soon enough.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
That promises a whole lot of metal.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

January can't come soon enough.

Thanks to that poster I just did.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I am so hard right now :black101:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That coat is real nice, I want one but know I could never look as good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
#TheCoatLives

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Trailer needs more coat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

That coat will sink the combined fleet of both England and Spain. Entirely on its own.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

That whole bit about Blackbeard's corpse circling the ship upon his death was really The Coat doing some laps before finding its next suitable owner

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

No you see Flint has shaved his head. The coat is taking over and controlling Flint as part of its plans for world domination.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Shaving his head and growing a goatee. Clearly Flint has become a disciple of The Sisko.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The coat will choose Silver in the end.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Goddamn that trailer looks great. Really looking forward to seeing what Stevenson can do with Blackbeard. He's a great actor and seeing his talent completely wasted in poo poo like Dexter makes me glad he's in something good again.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Love this show, gonna be a long wait until January.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

The coat will choose Silver in the end.

And I gotta say Silver is starting to look like the pirate I knew he would become! Man I love this show.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Season 2 was probably the best season of a show I've seen in a long time, and from the trailer, it looks like season 3 will continue the upward trend.

It's a shame Flynt had to get rid of his man-bun.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
I'm very seriously wanting some of the fashion from the show. Does anyone have any idea where to get a pair of sunglasses resembling Jack Rackham's?

Additionally, anyone have any ideas on how to go about acquiring a coat like Captain Flint's?

I'm considering having the coat custom made. Anyone have thoughts on materials?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jreedy88 posted:

Additionally, anyone have any ideas on how to go about acquiring a coat like Captain Flint's?

Yes, but you're going to need a ship, a crew, and naval maps of the Spanish fleet's delivery routes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the sunglasses were actually from the 1800's and were for train conductors or something like that. The season 1 thread had an article about them when they first showed up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Please don't try and dress like a tv show character

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

SaltLick posted:

Please don't try and dress like a tv show character

Why not for a Halloween costume?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is acceptable

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Jreedy88 posted:

Step One: Turn monomaniacal.

Step Two: gently caress off to Nassau bellowing "I AM YOUR KING!"

Step Three: Leave Mr Gates THE gently caress alone.

Step Four: Swagger, lots of swagger.

Step Five: Have a sneaky cry because you will never be as huge as Billy Bones.

As to materials, have you considered collecting crushed dreams?

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the sunglasses were actually from the 1800's and were for train conductors or something like that. The season 1 thread had an article about them when they first showed up.

Link?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Here's the season 1 thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567104

I didn't see the article link though.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I can't find it either, but I remember reading it in an interview or something. Could just be my memory playing tricks on me though.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Jreedy88 posted:

Custom making it is really the only way to go. Luckily it's a standard frock coat, so it's not difficult to pull off. I've made a few over the years (I am a theatrical costume designer).

Fabric is a boiled wool that's been weather treated and aged with dyes and sanded. Boiled and then wet-stretched to give it that aged, worn out look. If I needed to age a coat like that for a show, I'd stretch it slightly and then hit it with sandpaper to break down the integrity of the fibers before touching the wear spots with dye and petroleum jelly (petroleum jelly is used for sweat stains). Also sand down the trim/applique pieces and the buttons to reduce shine.

Otherwise you can get a very nice replica that will look brand new from a costume retailer or custom made.

It's really all about the distressing and stretching that's done to the wool to get it to lay that way and flow correctly. There's stretch ripples which adds to the ability for it to flutter when he walks. Brand new, non-stretched, wool versions will crisply hang close to a body.

As for the sunglasses, these lack the side portions, but here's a pretty close style: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/004438.php That website is great because they carry a wide variety of period clothing for men and women, as well as annoying Steampunk accessories.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Jreedy88 posted:

I'm very seriously wanting some of the fashion from the show. Does anyone have any idea where to get a pair of sunglasses resembling Jack Rackham's?

I'd pay Ray Ban prices for a set of Jack's shades. It isn't a coat. Its THE coat. You don't have it made. It makes you.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That coat is like a 100 lbs too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's leather...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Gonna wait for the whole season and then marathon it. Black Sails is entertaining, but hardly exceptional. One of the biggest problems (especially S2) is glacial pacing. I get it, the show can't afford big naval battles every episode, but there was a solid streak of 4 episodes in S2 that was painful to get through.

Marathoning will take care of that a bit :buddy:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe I'm thinking of his British navy garb.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

That coat is like a 100 lbs too.

It's like 28 pounds.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a different coat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's his British Navy Uniform, The Coat is magic and weighs nothing.

• Locked thread