Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
in fact, legend has it that the coat makes you lighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Zzulu posted:

in fact, legend has it that the coat makes you lighter

light in the loafers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Despite weighing nothing, wearing the coat is the heaviest burden one can face.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The weight of the coat is irrelevant. It's carrying Flint, not the other way around.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
That is one kicking rad coat.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Ok, just watched that trailer. Stoked as hell for season 3, who would have thought Pirate show would be by far one of best things on TV.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone that watched Spartacus? :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

Ok, just watched that trailer. Stoked as hell for season 3, who would have thought Pirate show would be by far one of best things on TV.

It basically had to be. Since Crossbones was so bad the universe had to offset it with a spectrum opposite good pirate show.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It basically had to be. Since Crossbones was so bad the universe had to offset it with a spectrum opposite good pirate show.

Haha, truer words were never spoken.

I had such hopes for Crossbones, and Malkovich. But man, what a disappointing pile of crap.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

We should not speak of such things

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Well, that was awesome.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

Mouse Dresser posted:

Custom making it is really the only way to go. Luckily it's a standard frock coat, so it's not difficult to pull off. I've made a few over the years (I am a theatrical costume designer).

Fabric is a boiled wool that's been weather treated and aged with dyes and sanded. Boiled and then wet-stretched to give it that aged, worn out look. If I needed to age a coat like that for a show, I'd stretch it slightly and then hit it with sandpaper to break down the integrity of the fibers before touching the wear spots with dye and petroleum jelly (petroleum jelly is used for sweat stains). Also sand down the trim/applique pieces and the buttons to reduce shine.

Otherwise you can get a very nice replica that will look brand new from a costume retailer or custom made.

It's really all about the distressing and stretching that's done to the wool to get it to lay that way and flow correctly. There's stretch ripples which adds to the ability for it to flutter when he walks. Brand new, non-stretched, wool versions will crisply hang close to a body.

As for the sunglasses, these lack the side portions, but here's a pretty close style: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/004438.php That website is great because they carry a wide variety of period clothing for men and women, as well as annoying Steampunk accessories.

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed response. I'll likely go for getting THE coat custom made in the future. Unfortunately we're too close to Halloween for this year. Maybe next year. This year I'm going with a Sherlock Holmes (BBC version) vibe.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah the picture isn't of the one true coat. The gif early in the thread is.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rename this show Black Coat

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Rename this show Black Coat

Black Sails S3: Black Coat

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mouse Dresser posted:

Black Sails S3: Black Coat, Billy's Biceps and Silver's Leg.

There we go.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Billy's Forearms... get it right

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Black Sails S3: How Much Man Meat Do You Want? We Have So Much.

:quagmire:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ever since the last bit of season one the show has had a disappointing amount of Vane dong.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Preeeeeetty sure there was a Vane's Vane joke there that you totally dropped the ball on...

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

They get close enough, you might even be able to see Vane's Vane Vein.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Nah, effort was in vain.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
Just binged through season 1, and have a question. How did Vane get out of that grave after the big beard slaver dude buried him?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
He wiggled his moist nude frame out of the dirt of course.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Scuzzywuffit posted:

They get close enough, you might even be able to see Vane's Vane Vein.

DAMNIT my joke was suppose to be Vane's Vein and didn't realize autocorrect made it vane-vane thx a lot for ruining a prime joke, Android. :mad:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mouse Dresser posted:

Black Sails S3: Black Coat

Black Sails S3: A Thread About a Coat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

blablablabla posted:

Black Sails S3: A Thread About the Most Bitchin Coat that ever lived

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm sorry but Billy is back and his forearms clearly deserve a mention since they play such an important role to the story :colbert:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Shots fired

#teamcoat

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Billy's arms in the coat

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure that would cause a singularity or something.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Black Sails S3: Billy's Arms and Flint's Coat on a Ship

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Weres that goon who is on the shows sound design team? I need more coat related info

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Is there any way we can setup an interview with the coat?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The coat is a one man gently caress tent.

No another note, Vane is playing a Grounder on season 3 of The 100.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 22, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

rejutka posted:

I'm pretty sure that would cause a singularity or something.

Bermuda Triangle solved

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
#teamrandall

:smith:

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
http://youtu.be/lk_3KfyuRNs New preview for season 3. Show's gonna own so hard.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Anyone know what camera/lenses they shoot this show with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Interview with the showrunners

Confirming season 4, not sure if that was news or not.

3 loving weeks...

• Locked thread