Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the news (Daily Journal, Guardian, etc) from an hour ago has stated that the Doomsday Clock has just been set to 11:57 for the first time since the Cold War, citing 'unchecked climate change and the ongoing threat of nuclear weapons.' The question shall be asked: Is the apocalypse on it's way? Is doomsday approaching? Can we do anything this year to fix the clock back a minute or two?

Well, I hope we can all get answers for the potential spin this is going to cause. Let's begin shall we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Grouchio posted:

The question shall be asked: Is the apocalypse on it's way? Is doomsday approaching?

The question shall be asked: Is there a difference between these two questions?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Eh, those eggheads setting the time don't know poo poo. When it happens, it happens. We'll know it then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

So the news (Daily Journal, Guardian, etc) from an hour ago has stated that the Doomsday Clock has just been set to 11:57 for the first time since the Cold War, citing 'unchecked climate change and the ongoing threat of nuclear weapons.' The question shall be asked: Is the apocalypse on it's way? Is doomsday approaching? Can we do anything this year to fix the clock back a minute or two?

Well, I hope we can all get answers for the potential spin this is going to cause. Let's begin shall we?

Well, Putin wants to throw out START and build new nukes again :unsmigghh:

But Climate Change is the larger issue, as it could spike global tensions as drought and famine grow.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Why don't they just wind the clock back? Seems irresponsible to just leave it that close to doomsday.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

All we need to do is wait until 00:01 and we'll be completely safe again!

R. Mute posted:

Why don't they just wind the clock back? Seems irresponsible to just leave it that close to doomsday.

They could at least detach the doomsday device

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's three minutes OP.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's three minutes OP.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Crap. How do I fix the title?

Anyways should we worry about this?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Well, Putin wants to throw out START and build new nukes again :unsmigghh:

But Climate Change is the larger issue, as it could spike global tensions as drought and famine grow.

id say renewed conflict between nations with the two largest nuclear arsenals in the world is a larger issue than climate change

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

id say renewed conflict between nations with the two largest nuclear arsenals in the world is a larger issue than climate change

Obviously, but its how said climate change could push us towards that conflict, rather than the latter being the initial cause.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I, for one, am concerned that a full-scale nuclear war between the US and Russia could lead to increased climate change.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Wake me up at 11:58, so I can play some Iron Maiden.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I, for one, am concerned that a full-scale nuclear war between the US and Russia could lead to increased climate change.

Either way, climate change is upon us :getin:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CommieGIR posted:

Either way, climate change is upon us :getin:

I've got gills so I'm going to be a dirt-millionaire.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously, but its how said climate change could push us towards that conflict, rather than the latter being the initial cause.

while i could see conflict over the arctic spurred by climate change being an issue in the future climate change has pretty much nothing to do with the ukrainian conflict or the syrian civil war which caused these tensions

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

while i could see conflict over the arctic spurred by climate change being an issue in the future climate change has pretty much nothing to do with the ukrainian conflict or the syrian civil war which caused these tensions

True, but weather Putin would be willing to conduct such a drastic measure of Ukraine or Syria is highly unlikely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

There is always India and Pakistan, which are going to get hosed by climate change.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

True, but weather Putin would be willing to conduct such a drastic measure of Ukraine or Syria is highly unlikely.
It's certainly cast a cloud on things, hasn't it? Hopefully this will all blow over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

It's certainly cast a cloud on things, hasn't it? Hopefully this will all blow over.

Yes it has, hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

By the way, the exchange rate on the Ruble is down to 64.43 per USD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm an optimist therefore I presume it's a 24-hour clock.

Grouchio posted:

Can we do anything this year to fix the clock back a minute or two?

I'd like to ask the obverse.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's three minutes OP.

Oh no, we're so close to doomsday that clocks aren't working correctly anymore! :ohdear:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Grouchio posted:

Don't worry, it's actually 1 minute fast.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

perfect is no people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFbBlpDTfQ

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Zogo posted:

I'd like to ask the obverse.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mods please embed this in the thread tia.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Hey, hey, hey.

If you can move the nuke clock forward for climate change then where's the minute hand when you run out of beer or there's no toilet paper.

Soon it will be 3 seconds to destruction because some egg head loses his keys.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Something about updating the Doomsday Clock just before the 20th anniversary of a surprise apocalypse by mistake seems to highlight the futility of making this sort of prediction.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
We've still got a while before Ozymandias puts his plan into motion so we're cool.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Lawman 0 posted:

Mods please embed this in the thread tia.

drat, I've been missing out on some prime metal.

Well, on the bright side, we won't have those evil people performing abortions for much longer.

In the following video, people don't have to worry about abortion or homos in the army or whatever chucklefuck poo poo the right wing media circus has us babbling on about now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASzBAOzRaBw

I'd like to suggest we move this thread to ... PYF, I guess. Post your favorite apocalypse scenario, hopefully with artwork.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Ddraig posted:

We've still got a while before Ozymandias puts his plan into motion so we're cool.

And the Scythians haven't aligned with Gog and Magog to attack the righteous on the plain of Megiddo either, so everything's loving hunky dory.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Thinking about it some more, only giving yourself three minutes to play with on your clock seems silly when you're moving the dial forward because of "unchecked climate change and the ongoing threat of nuclear weapons". That's painting yourself into a bit of a corner if/when those things get steadily worse in both areas without any world-ending event occurring.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
And some people just don't operate well under pressure. Like having somebody standing around tapping their feet while you're trying to pee or something.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

So the news (Daily Journal, Guardian, etc) from an hour ago has stated that the Doomsday Clock has just been set to 11:57 for the first time since the Cold War, citing 'unchecked climate change and the ongoing threat of nuclear weapons.'

Neither of those things are anywhere near as bad as they were during the Cold War, though. Where's people's sense of perspective these days?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grouchio posted:

No, don't. We understood what you meant.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You reap what you sow.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well yeah but if the first one really kicks off its all over. It's all or nothing. The second is a creeping doom that cannot be stopped. Every second the planet gets hosed a little bit more. Putin might fall down the stairs but ain't nothing slowing down the climate change train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Dr. Manhattan, what are your thoughts on this.

• Locked thread