Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There are 3 foreign students from PRC in my "managerial communications" prereq and during a surprise impromptu speaking assignment in front of the class one person couldn't understand a question asking what her favorite color was and why and another couldn't understand a question asking what her favorite ad was and why. This kind of embarrassment can happen if your TOEFL cutoff for Chinese students is lower than the median global score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
On the other hand they sound like extremely normal "professional managers" who have no applicable skills to anything.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I somehow became a viral youtube celebrity (with the help of someone like Pewdiepie in regards to setting it up), would that pay off all tuition (etc) in an average Boston college? Or in Vancouver? Or even Sydney?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Grouchio posted:

If I somehow became a viral youtube celebrity (with the help of someone like Pewdiepie in regards to setting it up), would that pay off all tuition (etc) in an average Boston college? Or in Vancouver? Or even Sydney?

That dude raked in something like $4M USD last year, so yeah.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

There are 3 foreign students from PRC in my "managerial communications" prereq and during a surprise impromptu speaking assignment in front of the class one person couldn't understand a question asking what her favorite color was and why and another couldn't understand a question asking what her favorite ad was and why. This kind of embarrassment can happen if your TOEFL cutoff for Chinese students is lower than the median global score

As a person who paid part of his way through college by working at the writing center, writing centers mostly exist for Asian students to learn to write at an English 085 level. Then we work on second-tier fundamentals, like "stop writing your essays in poetry form."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Senf posted:

That dude raked in something like $4M USD last year, so yeah.

Yeah but he is pretty near the top if not the top, but there are guys out there can make a middle class living. Youtube has been steadily slashing payouts as time has gone on which means if you're on the lower end it is a pretty tough push.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Got redirected here from USPol over pirated Uni textbook chat.

Starting about 6 months ago I've used the reddit ebook custom search engine and found pretty much every book. Some stuff, like programming books I needed to buy anyways because the code was formatted like poo poo and made it impossible to follow along and needed to buy the book to get the source code.

I really want the textbook industry to die with how expensive they are.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, good lord... I was paying around $6000/year at McGill as a Canadian non-Quebecer, and I think international students at the time were paying around $30,000 per year if I'm not mistaken. If you were from a Francophone country, though, you got in-province rates of around $2500/year, or so I was told by a friend of mine who was technically a French citizen despite having never really lived there.

I attend Concordia (Computer Science) for free. :D (disability, without it, would be maybe 2k/semester?).

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 30, 2015

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Got redirected here from USPol over pirated Uni textbook chat.

If you talk to your fellow students go in and buy a single copy online cheaper and just scan it(30 min). You can print and bind a 500pg book for a few bucks at any local print shop. Plus you can split you book into multiple parts so your not carrying a 50lb brick around with you at times.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BlueBlazer posted:

If you talk to your fellow students go in and buy a single copy online cheaper and just scan it(30 min). You can print and bind a 500pg book for a few bucks at any local print shop. Plus you can split you book into multiple parts so your not carrying a 50lb brick around with you at times.

Don't the print shops look askance at that? It was par for the corse at the university I was at in China (there was literally a book copying shop on campus), but in a real country...?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BlueBlazer posted:

I'm not sure if the local print shops do the whole printing thing for that cheap, but I can investigate.

Only the non-purely academic texts are significantly cheaper online like Unity tutorial books. Stuff like "System Architecture Design An Analytical Approach By An Old Guy Hey Look Shiny." The difference is maybe from 220$ in the bookstore to 160$ online.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raenir Salazar posted:

Only the non-purely academic texts are significantly cheaper online like Unity tutorial books. Stuff like "System Architecture Design An Analytical Approach By An Old Guy Hey Look Shiny." The difference is maybe from 220$ in the bookstore to 160$ online.

In general the only significant discounts I see are for the intro classes anyway (which makes sense - having 5000 books in the wild would make something cheaper than having 300).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

computer parts posted:

In general the only significant discounts I see are for the intro classes anyway (which makes sense - having 5000 books in the wild would make something cheaper than having 300).

Yeah, something like "Introduction to Blender Character Animation" 20$? I'll buy that. 20$ is easy money to toss away, 200$? Thieves.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When I was going to college in Spain :spain: I photocopied textbooks constantly and nobody at the locutorio gave two fucks.

In fact, it was not uncommon for some textbook to be on the syllabus that the university didn't want to order for whatever reason so the prof would supply the original one copy they had to the uni bookstore which would make spiral bound photocopies that everyone could buy for 25 euros a pop.

Since I photocopied books constantly I knew that was just the cost of the photocopying and they weren't skimming any extra off the top.

gently caress the American textbook industry, what a scam.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Xibanya posted:

When I was going to college in Spain :spain: I photocopied textbooks constantly and nobody at the locutorio gave two fucks.

In fact, it was not uncommon for some textbook to be on the syllabus that the university didn't want to order for whatever reason so the prof would supply the original one copy they had to the uni bookstore which would make spiral bound photocopies that everyone could buy for 25 euros a pop.

Since I photocopied books constantly I knew that was just the cost of the photocopying and they weren't skimming any extra off the top.

gently caress the American textbook industry, what a scam.

It's like the American pharmaceutical industry, Americans pay more to "subsidize" the rest of the world.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
My co-worker STEM just got a job in her actual degree field. I feel like I just witnessed a Unicorn being born.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I recently worked at a copy shop next to a US public university, and yeah, there's a bunch of grey legal area in terms of how we handle copyrights. Basically, if you pay us to do it, we can't. That said, we had self-serve scanners and copiers available, and we sure as poo poo aren't able to stop random people form making copies or scanning things there. It's just less convenient than handing it to the clerk and saying, "Scan this."

Edit: We'd also make course packets for some instructors to make it slightly less expensive for them to get material to their students, and the costs varied pretty wildly based on whatever copyrighted stuff was involved in the materials we printed.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 30, 2015

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
Ugh, the worst part about textbooks is when a professor tells you the book is "optional" and then assigns homework straight from the text and gives the excuse that he can't photocopy the pages because of copyright.

That Irish Guy posted:

My co-worker STEM just got a job in her actual degree field. I feel like I just witnessed a Unicorn being born.

If she's engineering or CS, then you're just speaking in hyperbole here, people get hired in those fields all the loving time. If it's science, then yeah, people really need to stop thinking that "STEM" every meant Bachelor's in Bio or Chem. Those never got you a job.

Shakugan posted:

I suppose this makes sense. It just surprises me that they can price themselves at the same level as Michigan, Berkeley, UVa etc without blinking an eye.

That's because admissions requirements take away some of the ability to haggle the price. You can only go to a school that accepts you based on your test scores, grades, etc. A lot of the shittier schools offer top students scholarships to make it substantially cheaper than the more prestigious institutions, but students who didn't get into Berkeleys or UVas gotta go somewhere. The lower-tier schools know this, so they charge nearly as much as the Public Ivys.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Peven Stan posted:

A not insignificant chunk of TOEFL results are fraudulent. The techniques range from massive amounts or rote memorization (defeating the purpose of the test as an indicator of English fluency), having someone similar looking take the test for you, or even companies which have networks of test takers that take the test in a different country with an earlier time zone and forward the questions back to be memorized by the client taking the test later.

Professors hate it and it fucks over the students hard. But admissions doesn't give a poo poo because hey a year of remedial classes or special intensive tutoring is more money!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shifty Pony posted:

A not insignificant chunk of TOEFL results are fraudulent. The techniques range from massive amounts or rote memorization (defeating the purpose of the test as an indicator of English fluency), having someone similar looking take the test for you, or even companies which have networks of test takers that take the test in a different country with an earlier time zone and forward the questions back to be memorized by the client taking the test later.

Professors hate it and it fucks over the students hard. But admissions doesn't give a poo poo because hey a year of remedial classes or special intensive tutoring is more money!

UBC is creating a special college within the university, especially for foreign students, that will have relaxed English requirements. Whatever could go wrong?

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

ChipNDip posted:

If she's engineering or CS, then you're just speaking in hyperbole here, people get hired in those fields all the loving time.

This is bullshit and has been bullshit since at least the tech bubble burst in the early 2000s. Senior personnel get hired. Sometimes. Senior developers and techs with 5+ years in the relevant software and preferably already known by someone on the team (read nepotism). I'm in my mid thirties and I'm the youngest guy in the dev/ops group where I work by far and I originally got hired for a job that's been since eliminated and rolled into other people's duties so the door's slammed shut behind me.

Freshly minted college grads don't get hired unless maybe they interned at the company while at school and already got an in at the company (which is probably how you got the internship in the first place). If you don't? Ho Ho Ho go get hosed.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Iron Twinkie posted:

This is bullshit and has been bullshit since at least the tech bubble burst in the early 2000s. Senior personnel get hired. Sometimes. Senior developers and techs with 5+ years in the relevant software and preferably already known by someone on the team (read nepotism). I'm in my mid thirties and I'm the youngest guy in the dev/ops group where I work by far and I originally got hired for a job that's been since eliminated and rolled into other people's duties so the door's slammed shut behind me.

Freshly minted college grads don't get hired unless maybe they interned at the company while at school and already got an in at the company (which is probably how you got the internship in the first place). If you don't? Ho Ho Ho go get hosed.

Also make sure you have 10+ years of Hadoop experience before applying, tia.

I have legitimately seen this on a job posting before, despite the fact that you'd have to travel time to have this requirement. That in itself shows how hosed up IT hiring can be.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A lot of times job postings are more wish lists than actual requirements, and even the job poster knows that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

A lot of times job postings are more wish lists than actual requirements, and even the job poster knows that.

The job description creator might, but the program HR uses to filter résumés probably doesn't.

Don't meet the requirements and a human will never see that you applied.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Iron Twinkie posted:

Your anecdotal world must suck then. In my anecdotal world, my university has a huge recruiting program, with a dedicated career office for engineers and several career fairs every year. Even in the height of the recession they were placing over half of graduates into full-time jobs. Now it's more like 80%.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
I present to you: a microcosm of what is wrong with the american higher education system. Look up high point university if you really want to go down the rabbit hole.

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/2014/05/a_low_point_at_high_point_univ/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ChipNDip posted:

Your anecdotal world must suck then. In my anecdotal world, my university has a huge recruiting program, with a dedicated career office for engineers and several career fairs every year. Even in the height of the recession they were placing over half of graduates into full-time jobs. Now it's more like 80%.

Which university is on that student's resume matters a big deal. A CS bachelors from MIT is worth a lot more than one from UCLA, and the former is much more likely to get hired.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Vargatron posted:

Also make sure you have 10+ years of Hadoop experience before applying, tia.

I have legitimately seen this on a job posting before, despite the fact that you'd have to travel time to have this requirement. That in itself shows how hosed up IT hiring can be.
HRtards sabotaging hiring practices? Say it isnt so!

Several devs I know went through the support->test->dev gauntlet before they got a big paycheck.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Which university is on that student's resume matters a big deal. A CS bachelors from MIT is worth a lot more than one from UCLA, and the former is much more likely to get hired.

Actually UCLA has a fantastic CS program, especially considering its price.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Radbot posted:

Actually UCLA has a fantastic CS program, especially considering its price.

Sorry, you're right, I was trying to pick a school not usually mentally associated with CS. Like maybe UNLV. I haven't, to my knowledge, come across a paper from someone there.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

ChipNDip posted:

:allears:

So you're not really arguing that people get hired in the tech field all the time. What you are really arguing is that you think you've got a good network to leverage once you graduate and are trying to get your foot in the door for an entry level job.

FRINGE posted:

HRtards sabotaging hiring practices? Say it isnt so!

Several devs I know went through the support->test->dev gauntlet before they got a big paycheck.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I ended up having to do but replace dev with ops.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Why cheat when your cutoff is so low that randomly filling in bubbles is going to let people in. Seriously, the local commuter campus's standards for vetting are so low they're nonexistent.

Hilariously its also situated next to ferguson so I can see them using the subsequent drop off in enrollment as an excuse to spam as many F visas as possible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Concordia has job fairs and a Co Op program, though I'm aiming for the indie game dev scene so a lot of it I'm ignoring either way.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Iron Twinkie posted:

:allears:

So you're not really arguing that people get hired in the tech field all the time. What you are really arguing is that you think you've got a good network to leverage once you graduate and are trying to get your foot in the door for an entry level job.

To be fair when you say stuff like

quote:

you're being just an anecdotal as the poster you're making fun of. Freshly minted college grads at schools with good tech programs get hired without internships at their place of hire all the time. The issue of course being how many schools have good tech programs. We need some actual data on job placements/offers in the tech industry to really be able to take the discussion any further, otherwise it's just a bunch of people assuming that the way things happen/happened in their school is the norm. The job opportunities of history majors at my school are amazing, but do I think history majors in general have good employment prospects? Not a chance.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Your resume matters fairly little in tech, and while companies may recruit more aggressively at MIT than UCLA, good UCLA grads aren't going to have a hard time finding jobs. An onsite interview carries much, much more weight than your educational experience.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

blah_blah posted:

Your resume matters fairly little in tech, and while companies may recruit more aggressively at MIT than UCLA, good UCLA grads aren't going to have a hard time finding jobs. An onsite interview carries much, much more weight than your educational experience.

Also very true. A bad MIT student giving a bad interview is not going to get them a job that a good UCLA interview will. That said, as you imply, the power of an MIT degree is in its ability to give you the opportunity to network in ways a UCLA degree won't and as a result it might open some extra doors. Obviously you still need to not flunk the interview, but the vast majority of CS jobs are hiring pretty indiscriminately.

And of course there's always the fact that your degree doesn't really matter much after you get that first job (because it really is about the interview).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shakugan posted:

The job opportunities of history majors at my school are amazing, but do I think history majors in general have good employment prospects? Not a chance.

Despite most assumptions, statistics for history majors are actually show them in the middle of the pack as far as employment opportunities/salaries. Education in comparison is significantly more dire.

That said you could simply say for most majors opportunities aren't particularly great including many of the sciences.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 31, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Despite most assumptions, statistics for history majors are actually show them in the middle of the pack as far as employment opportunities/salaries. Education in comparison is significantly more dire.

That said you could simply say for most majors opportunities aren't particularly great including many of the sciences.

Not counting people who go in for professional degrees (e.g., pre-meds, pre-law, etc) the main employment sectors for many of the basic sciences majors is the same as for people in history, english, etc: k-12 schools and academia.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone who still thinks companies hire indiscriminately needs to spend some time with MIT and Harvard undergrads. The name of the school is not sufficient, but it really, really, really helps. I'm sure interviews are important, but you need to get to that stage first.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Iron Twinkie posted:

I find it kind of strange that you can graduate with a CS degree, or have a CS degree and experience, and not get any interviews. It's like you live in a bizarro world where up is down. Your experience is completely different from my own and those of everyone I personally know.

All but two people from my graduating class at Podunk State University got jobs. They weren't really great students, and they didn't get jobs at Google, Microsoft, etc., but they all got jobs at decent companies and making $60k/yr in areas where the cost of living is such that $60k/yr is actually considered decent. (i.e., not New York, San Francisco, etc.). Most of them had jobs lined up before they graduated. Yes, some of them had to move.

One person who didn't get a job didn't even look for one - he wanted to get a masters in math instead, so that's what he did.
The other person who didn't get a job right afterward was me - but I didn't start looking till ~6 months after I graduated. I still got called back for each of the handful of positions I applied to (most of which were like 60-90 minutes away by car) and got a $60k/yr job offer in a low-cost-of-living area seven or eight days after I started looking.

If you're willing to move, then I don't see why you can't find a job as a recent grad. Unless you don't have anything on your resume except your computer science degree, your GPA, a section that lists "Windows and Microsoft Office" as one of your "skills", and a line saying that you volunteered for six hours at the Podunk, Mississippi Hunger Walk of 2012. In that case, write a ray tracer or three, throw them on GitHub, and then add a "Personal Projects" section talking about the cool shaders you wrote and how fast you traced those rays. If you're not a recent grad, then do open source projects instead of personal projects (actually, if you are a recent grad, open source is going to look better).

quote:

Anyone who still thinks companies hire indiscriminately needs to spend some time with MIT and Harvard undergrads. The name of the school is not sufficient, but it really, really, really helps. I'm sure interviews are important, but you need to get to that stage first.

Are you only applying to prestigious places? I went to an unknown university and even when my resume was just a list of skills, personal projects, and an internship at a small, local company where I did QA automation and was kept far away from actual development, I still got called back by every non-prestigious place I applied to. IIRC, that was also the case later when I had some actual experience on my resume. At least, every NYC company I applied to was interested in interviewing me at that point.

I'm sure going to MIT would have helped me get noticed by Twitter, who has rejected me without even a phone interview every time I've ever applied (including right now... just got another Twitter rejection :() but I'm still going to easily find my next job somewhere and still get paid more than most people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not suggesting that you're hosed at a less prestigious university by any means. I also doubt the big names only hire from prestigious universities. In fields that aren't finance, you can find ways to distinguish yourself coming from anywhere.

I'm referring to the effect where you can be totally unaccomplished and fairly dumb and still fall right into a fantastic job because of the name brand. These people do scoop up a lot of jobs from "pretty good" applicants elsewhere, though CS/engineering are likely in high enough demand you wouldn't really notice. In medicine/biomedical science, you notice.

• Locked thread