Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The good time fun time show for best pals singing songs and helping each other clean out molds is back!

Face Off
Face Off is an unscripted competition show where both established and up & coming makeup effects artists complete production assigned challenges to test their skills. It's about design, molding/casting, painting, artistry, and so forth. Many rise to the challenge while some crash and burn. There's talk of a cash prize, a product placement from Fiat, and a product placement from Kryolan at the beginning and end of every episode.

This show is dope because unlike a lot of bad reality shows where there's lots of "house" time and people are rude and catty and generally terrible, most people in most seasons are quite talented and are generally nice & good human beings. There's sharp critiques and occasional tears, but in this show contestants are more likely to help each other out than chew each other out. This is probably because they cast a lot of people with industry experience who are looking to show off their portfolio in front of the extremely (industry) famous & award winning judges (who occasionally hire former contestants). ...which brings me to the next section of the OP, where I largely copy/paste from last season's OP.

Host & Judges & Mentor & Season 8 Coaches

McKenzie Westmore (Host)
Actress/Scion of America's Greatest FX Family
Wiki | IMDb

Glenn Hetrick
Owner/CEO – Optic Nerve Studios
Past Work: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, CSI: NY, Lady Gaga (personal designer)
Wiki | IMDb

Ve Neill
Oscar-Winning Freelance Makeup Artist
Past Work: Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman, Every Tim Burton Movie Ever
Wiki | IMDb

Neville Page
Concept Designer
Past Work: Avatar, The Amazing Spider-Man, Prometheus
Wiki | IMDb

Michael Westmore (Mentor)
Oscar & Emmy-Winning Legendary Makeup Artist
Past work: The Munsters, Rocky, Star Trek, covert CIA disguises :tinfoil:
Wiki | IMDb

:siren: This season, three former winners are coming back to coach a group of contestants :siren:
Five contestants each to start. The coaches will coach while the contestants will actually make the creations. When all of a coach's contestants are out, the coach is out. Last coach standing wins a special prize??

Rayce Bird (@RayceBird)
Season 2 Champion
Coach of #TeamRayce

Anthony Kosar (@KOSARTeffects)
Season 4 Champion
Coach of #TeamAnthony

Laura Tyler (@laurartist84)
Season 5 Champion (& champion of my heart :swoon:)
Coach of #TeamLaura

Season 8 Contestants

Julian Bonfiglio
Hometown: Fremont, CA

Alan Carnes
Hometown: Weaverville, CA

Darla Edin
Hometown: St. Louis Park, MN

Kelly Harris
Hometown: Columbus, OH

Gregory Hewett
Hometown: Supply, NC

Regina Jiganti
Hometown: Hinsdale, IL

Jamie Leodones
Hometown: Alberta, Canada

Logan Long
Hometown: Salt Lake City, UT

Stephanie Masco
Hometown: Plainfield, IL

Adam Milicevic
Hometown: Merrillville, IN

Rob Miller
Hometown: Monroe, MI

Ben Peter
Hometown: Centerville, OH

Daniel Prado
Hometown: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Anthony Reyes
Hometown: Shohola, PA

Emily Serpico
Hometown: West Palm Beach, FL

Who will be the next great name in movie magic? Welcome to Face Off swoosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I appreciate them trying something different since we're on season 8, but the judging segment in the last episode was really confusing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Johnny Longtorso posted:

I appreciate them trying something different since we're on season 8, but the judging segment in the last episode was really confusing.

Hopefully they go to individual challenges for a while or at least judge the teamwork as a whole going forward. I wasn't very impressed with any of the makeups this time. Hopefully they pull something better off next week.

I hope

Ben Peter

is gone next because his face upsets me on a visceral level.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Gotta agree. The judging just seemed to go on for so long...after awhile I just zoned out. Wasn't super impressed with any of the makeups, but it's still early so I'm sure they will improve.

Also not really caring much about the team captains. It's nice to see old winners return, but honestly I don't see the point. Mr. Westmore's advice was much more helpful than anything they had to say.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I completely agree about the judging and general blandness of the work. My wife was doing something else while we were watching & thought I rewound it when she saw the same guy, who had been called up twice.

On the plus side, that style did make it seem like the team captains played a role in telling the judges who was involved in what, so they seem more accountable than team challenges on other seasons.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I think it felt weird because team projects feel weird and there were 3 creations per team to judge which is a lot. When they get to individual challenges again it'll probably be back to normal.

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010
Team challenges are always kind of bland, because a bunch of people have to agree on a plan. You can't get Tate-like crazy ideas off the ground when everyone's trying to put their own spin on a project.

That being said, they really do need to sort out the judging. That was super confusing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ariza posted:

I hope

Ben Peter

is gone next because his face upsets me on a visceral level.
I had the exact same reaction. He's got creepy dead eyes like the banjo playing kid in Deliverance. :gonk:
Judging by his work in ep 2 he won't last long.

Also Rob has a John Candy's Sad Younger Brother vibe

Dude always looks like he's expecting people to tell him to yell at him for something he didn't realise he'd done. Cheer up Rob. :ohdear:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dude always looks like he's expecting people to tell him to yell at him for something he didn't realise he'd done. Cheer up Rob. :ohdear:

Also sweating profusely.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Tonight, we learned a very important lesson: don't make a textureless lizard, your makeup will be called out by Glenn for looking too anime.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I didn't really see how Ben and Darla's ram incorporated the cactus elements beyond sticking random needles into the horns. Everything else about it was admittedly pretty awesome.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was surprised by the ones on top this week, the ram looked great in concept but the colors were just so dull and boring in the end, and the cactus elements were poorly done. Together with the thing that looked nothing like a hyena, where they tried to hide that they didn't get anything done.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha the proposal, jesus christ

Edit: but I will admit that Ben stepped up and had one of the strongest comebacks I've seen on the show

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Oasx posted:

Together with the thing that looked nothing like a hyena, where they tried to hide that they didn't get anything done.

I thought it actually looked awesome, I was hoping it would win. I liked it a lot more than the ram with the tacked on needles.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I thought a lot of the pieces looked good except for textureless lizard. Much better than the first challenge where it seemed like people were stepping all over each other and messing up.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Anime Lizard seemed like a classic case of "not enough time for painting". Oops.

Also, Regina and Emily seemed weirdly quiet during judging, I wonder if there was some criticisms there that we didn't see. I did think that Emily's "hair" was kind of risky, but I guess it sort of works in a plant-oriented challenge.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
That fish one would've been great if not for those awful, awful eyes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ariza posted:

That fish one would've been great if not for those awful, awful eyes.

Even just jet black eyes would have been better:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I always wonder how the model choices work. This is like the 3rd time I've seen someone's idea thrown out because of this.

All of these kind of look too dark and moody and not "whimsical" at all. A hand full of them are pretty rough.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 4, 2015

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Emily's Queen of Hearts feels like a copout. It seems exactly like the Burton Queen of Hearts.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Is anyone else like me and feels like at this point (every season) you can't help but think that they could've found better people? I am pretty umimpressed so far but I'm also not an expert on any of this.

And these people need to look up the word "whimsical"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Lipumira posted:

Is anyone else like me and feels like at this point (every season) you can't help but think that they could've found better people?

I feel like they're running out of potential contestants. The team coach concept is just an attempt to mitigate a relatively shallow talent pool. How many really great undiscovered make-up/effects artists are out there in, say, Ohio or Wisconsin or whatever. Tonight's eliminated guy even said, "I've only been at this for 8 months," and I know there was a contestant in a previous season who also said something like that on his way out.

Seriously, it's getting to the point of - Step 1) take a class at Anthony's school of make up in Chicago, step 2) go on Face Off.

It's not like Top Chef where there's literally a million chefs just in the US alone. How many people can do make up/effects, and out of that pool, how many can actually do it well?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KungFu Grip posted:

I always wonder how the model choices work. This is like the 3rd time I've seen someone's idea thrown out because of this.

It was especially weird this episode, the producers set it up so there'd be a certain number of characters of specific genders (except the Joker, I guess, which could have been either) but it looks like they didn't supply enough male models to fulfill all the male roles. Anthony deliberately chose a female model for his King of Hearts character but Jamie had no choice but to take a female model for her King of Spades.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Does the Burger King count as whimsical? Because that what Jamie's King of Spades reminded me of.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

LabyaMynora posted:

I feel like they're running out of potential contestants. The team coach concept is just an attempt to mitigate a relatively shallow talent pool. How many really great undiscovered make-up/effects artists are out there in, say, Ohio or Wisconsin or whatever. Tonight's eliminated guy even said, "I've only been at this for 8 months," and I know there was a contestant in a previous season who also said something like that on his way out.

Seriously, it's getting to the point of - Step 1) take a class at Anthony's school of make up in Chicago, step 2) go on Face Off.

It's not like Top Chef where there's literally a million chefs just in the US alone. How many people can do make up/effects, and out of that pool, how many can actually do it well?

Good point. Maybe they need to slow down the production cycle a bit or maybe they need to give people a little extra time to do their makeups to get better results. If I'm them, I'm starting to think about my brand and wondering if i'm hurting it.

It's still fun to watch... but it's starting to be background noise while i'm doing something else.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

These 'Tim Burton' challenges never go well. The only one I thought was slightly interesting was the Joker makeup, but that's because whoever did the wardrobe was smart and used patterns and colors to trick your eyes to take focus away from the fake face. They didn't bother to even show it close up, so that was all they probably liked about it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Emily's Queen of Hearts feels like a copout. It seems exactly like the Burton Queen of Hearts.

It was the only one that was competent all around though. The concept may have been lame, but the execution of the sculpt, the hair, and the makeup were all fantastic.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Ariza posted:

It was the only one that was competent all around though. The concept may have been lame, but the execution of the sculpt, the hair, and the makeup were all fantastic.

I actually also hate these whimsy challenges since the concepts never seem to be that good. So if I'm judging them purely on execution, Emily walks away with it. In fact it's hard to figure out why some of the contestants seem paralyzed over "original concept" especially at this early stage. Time and again we've seen that solid sculpts and stellar paint will put you ahead.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Queen of Hearts was the best by far. I wonder what the Joker looked like up close, because it looked pretty cool on reveal, but they didn't even show any of the judges comment on it. I'm also surprised the Jack of Spades didn't end up on the bottom, it looked like a thrown-together combination of Jack Sparrow and a Guy Fawkes mask. The Jack of Hearts was pretty good but I thought the head looked distractingly like a brain poking out behind the face.

Sientara posted:

Does the Burger King count as whimsical? Because that what Jamie's King of Spades reminded me of.

Yeah, my reaction to seeing the finished makeup was, "wait a minute, that's the Burger King!"

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Sientara posted:

Haha...I was wondering why it seemed so familiar to me.

I think this was the first episode I've seen where I didn't really like any of the characters.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

CeeCee posted:

Haha...I was wondering why it seemed so familiar to me.

I think this was the first episode I've seen where I didn't really like any of the characters.

I really wish they'd use some movie lighting and fps for some of these to see how they look within a movie, instead of the garbage dancing poo poo they do every season.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I just caught up. Does the chick with the labre piercing drive anyone else insane when she talks?

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

Bored posted:

I just caught up. Does the chick with the labre piercing drive anyone else insane when she talks?

She reminds me of Ally Sheedy's character in The Breakfast Club.

Sorry for the 80's reference. I'm old.

And yeah, it's all about the paint job. I don't know why more of the contestants don't realize this. You can have a lovely concept and a not-so-great sculpt, but as long as your paint is really good, you're not going home.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

Counterpoint: Cake Boss

e: VVV that was my point....

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 7, 2015

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

Counterpoint: Cake Boss

She came from Anthony's school, so...

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The challenge tonight sounds like some major bullshit imo. Can't wait and see what a catastrophe this is.

edit: nvm I thought it was gonna be generic sound effects not specific ones. That robot one hosed her over big time though. Surprised they hated that soul body as much as they did.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 11, 2015

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

KungFu Grip posted:

The challenge tonight sounds like some major bullshit imo. Can't wait and see what a catastrophe this is.

The jiggling torso made of ghost faces deserves to be placed in the pantheon of amazing unintentional Face Off comedy :allears:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
That family photo was a bad drawing.

Edit: Doug jones!

Bored fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 12, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I think Rob reeeeaaaallllyyyy wants to be Roy, and that might kick him in the rear end later. He just isn't as good at fabricating as Roy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That loving green swamp creature looked like a Halloween mask stuck on top of a papier mache body.

• Locked thread