Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Can't find a good picture right now but compare:

The winner this week:

Similar concept:

The quality hasn't been too good so far. Hopefully things step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The spotlight challenge wasn't that great, But the relay race foundation challenge was really clever.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pretty much everything was great in this weeks challenge, and you could tell that the judges had to nitpick small details in order to find someone to send home.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The spotlight challenge wasn't that great, But the relay race foundation challenge was really clever.

They do something similar on Top Chef (the only other reality show I can stomach) but I think it worked better on this show. I'd like to see more of them, especially if it leads to gluing horns to a cat's chin.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Ariza posted:

They do something similar on Top Chef (the only other reality show I can stomach) but I think it worked better on this show. I'd like to see more of them, especially if it leads to gluing horns to a cat's chin.

The person who passed those on must have intended for those to be ears...right? I don't know what the other guy was thinking.

Edit: on second thought that doesn't work either. :shrug:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

hollylolly posted:

The person who passed those on must have intended for those to be ears...right? I don't know what the other guy was thinking.

Edit: on second thought that doesn't work either. :shrug:

I would have used one trimmed down horn as a chin piece, or cut the horns way down to smaller nubs for the forehead. The chin thing was...preeeetty awful.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That loving green swamp creature looked like a Halloween mask stuck on top of a papier mache body.

I thought they were going to end up in bottom looks. Did Rob even do anything other than fabricating a suit?

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Yikes, that was a pretty rough week of makeups. Really, the winning robot was the only one that felt like a complete look. I wasn't crazy about the demon, but it was cool to see somebody tackle the Hellraiser bdsm monster aesthetic. A Cenobite challenge would be neat, but it's probably too limiting.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Ariza posted:

The quality hasn't been too good so far. Hopefully things step up.
I agree. There have been a couple characters I've liked this season, but for the most part everything has been pretty meh.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Bridge Trolls... well okay.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

KungFu Grip posted:

Bridge Trolls... well okay.

They at least have Doug Jones, who is pretty legitimately awesome.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
With the Monkey Forest bridge I'm kind of surprised no one went with a more simian themed troll.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Seriously, Ben's looks like anti-semetic propaganda. Like "The Eternal Troll" or something. It's hideous.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FrumpleOrz posted:

Seriously, Ben's looks like anti-semetic propaganda. Like "The Eternal Troll" or something. It's hideous.

It just looked like the trolls in the books my mom used to read in the 70s. I thought he did a good job with the head; the pool floaties and press on nails not so much. I'm going to miss the pretty guy that got kicked off. He was always so earnest. Weird colored hair lady should've won though, that thing was super creepy.

This book:

though the cover was a lot better.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 18, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FrumpleOrz posted:

Seriously, Ben's looks like anti-semetic propaganda.

It looked just like a traditional Norse/Scandinavian troll to me. :shrug:

(I'm also pretty sure the bignosed Scandinavian troll predates the medieval depiction of the hooknosed Jew)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This challenge was weird, trolls don't have an iconic look, so how can you judge a character by whether or not it looks like a troll? I think the should would be much better off if it just ditched all those stupid themes, and let each contestant to what they wanted.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
This show is really loving bad and needs some serious re-tooling.

Contestants are now repeating designs from previous seasons. The themes are getting desperate. The judging is completely arbitrary ("this doesn't look like a troll").

Having the contestants clap wildly and fist pump for any sort of announcement makes me embarrassed to watch the show too. HOORAY IT'S THE SECOND ASSISTANT TO THE STUNT MAN FROM "AFTER EARTH" (claps wildly). OH YAY I GET TO MAKE A TROLL! YES!!! A VAMPIRE ?!?! YES!!!

:downsbravo:

They could at least try to make the show slightly organic. The only moment of honesty for the past few seasons came a couple of seasons back when one of the contestants just walked halfway through a challenge because she had nothing and was frustrated and bored with the whole thing.

Also it doesn't help that there's nobody really likeable this season. I think I'm done with this show. When I feel like saying that I watch a show is a confession more than anything else, I shouldn't really be watching that show any more.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just kind of skip to the stage show now.

I really liked Logan's Golden Gate troll (though it kind of reminded me of Evangelion with the mask) - but I guess it wasn't "appropriate" for a troll, trolls being a highly discerning race apparently.

Also lol that Glenn's been at the hair/beard dye.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

I have been watching this show religiously since season 1, and this is the first time in all the seasons, I feel its the most lackluster in participants. No one stands out to me at all, it's like they were scraping at the bottom of the barrel for contestants. None of the creations have been solid so far. The whole concept of the team coaches seems weird to me. Are they really helping out or just kinda making poor choices in some of the advice they give.

Like the one guy that told his team not to go with the traditional looks for trolls, he just kind of threw them under the bus, I felt. Hopefully it will get better after they weed more people out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I discovered the show last season, so I don't know how much worse it has gotten over the years, but so far this season feels a lot worse.
Perhaps it will get better as the weaker contestants get sent home, but I am really getting tired of all the gimmick challenges.

I like the idea of the coaches, but they feel powerless compared to Michael Westmore, they are just presented as previous winners without the context of what they have done since then, why should their opinions matter if that is all we know?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Oasx posted:

I like the idea of the coaches, but they feel powerless compared to Michael Westmore, they are just presented as previous winners without the context of what they have done since then, why should their opinions matter if that is all we know?

While I agree that the previous format with Michael Westmore as an advisor was better than the current set up, I think you are being unfair to the coaches. Anthony, Laura and Rayce aren't just some random people who happened to win one season, they are pretty much among the best (and most consistent) artists to have ever been on the show.

Anthony won half the challenges of his season, and even taught Dina who ended up winning last season. Laura has been good through two seasons and won allstars against pretty incredible talent like Roy. Rayce did well his season but I admit that I remember less of his designs than I do Anthony and Laura's. They probably should make it more apparent to people who are just starting the show, but the coaches they have are really drat good at what they do. I think they've more than proved that they know what they are talking about in how to create a good makeup and why their opinion is worth listening to just based on past performance alone.

The whole, troll vs not a troll thing felt really arbitrary to me and I don't think the contestants or Rayce should have been faulted for that. The bad paint job sure, but not that. If they wanted the Scandinavian troll with the big nose and chin they should have flat out said that was what they wanted. But there are plenty variations of trolls in various media and they should have been allowed to really stretch the concept. This isn't nearly as bad a misstep as putting 50 eyes on a cyclops or something like that.

I'm feeling some burn out as well but I'm hoping if they can get to some challenges where the contestants can be really creative (and hopefully have them be used to the crazy time restrictions and all that) and just let them get to work without any twists, we'll start seeing some real cool stuff.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 19, 2015

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
They have just been cranking out seasons every few months, and I think their talent pool is rapidly shrinking. I'm pretty okay with the coaches thing (mostly because I'm hoping it means we'll get to see some work from those 3 again in something like the judges episode last year), but I'm a little disappointed that their direction and advice is preventing any major catastrophes like Autumn's afro gummy bear and Alana's Dr. Seuss creature. The absolute meltdowns are a big draw for me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

angerbeet posted:

Also lol that Glenn's been at the hair/beard dye.

By far the worst application we saw last week was Glenn's beard dye that was all blotchy and didn't blend into his hair at all.

The other judges should have sent him home for that.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
This is really turning out to be the season of mediocrity.

InfiniteZero posted:

By far the worst application we saw last week was Glenn's beard dye that was all blotchy and didn't blend into his hair at all.

The other judges should have sent him home for that.
I bet they were going to, but after bringing him to tears with the threat of elimination, they used the 'save' on him.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
I was surprised that there was any level of competency this week, given the challenge, but the top looks managed to pull of not being utter poo poo. Good work!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Body paint challenges suck out loud. There is a reason that one spin off show bombed terribly.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Lots of model butts, very boring episode otherwise. Too bad the fat doof had to leave on such a stupid challenge. Young brunette girl has been doing awesome though, but I'm guessing this show is going to be a young person's show as it goes on.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Ariza posted:

Lots of model butts, very boring episode otherwise. Too bad the fat doof had to leave on such a stupid challenge. Young brunette girl has been doing awesome though, but I'm guessing this show is going to be a young person's show as it goes on.

I'm glad Rob made it as far as he did. People from Michigan usually get booted off within the first few episodes. I don't care for the body paint episodes, they just don't seem to be the sort of thing that these kinds of artists do well. How often to character and creature designers have to body paint? Body painting itself is pretty cool, and there are some amazing artists out there, but it just doesn't fit for Face Off. I also can't figure out the reasoning for not allowing the artists to view the photos taken of their models to make sure the blocking is right. I was really glad to see Glenn go off on the team that didn't work together though.

So, like every one else is saying, lack luster season.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
Sad when the best part of the show is the foundation challenge.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked Rob, and i think much of his work was better than the judges gave him credit for, but he was never going to be a guy who made it to the later episodes.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oasx posted:

I liked Rob, and i think much of his work was better than the judges gave him credit for, but he was never going to be a guy who made it to the later episodes.

He's a pretty good artist.

http://www.theartofrobmiller.com/home.html

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

The Repo Man posted:

I'm glad Rob made it as far as he did. People from Michigan usually get booted off within the first few episodes. I don't care for the body paint episodes, they just don't seem to be the sort of thing that these kinds of artists do well. How often to character and creature designers have to body paint? Body painting itself is pretty cool, and there are some amazing artists out there, but it just doesn't fit for Face Off. I also can't figure out the reasoning for not allowing the artists to view the photos taken of their models to make sure the blocking is right. I was really glad to see Glenn go off on the team that didn't work together though.

So, like every one else is saying, lack luster season.

That did seem like a weird constraint to put on them and not really realistic. Especially when they complained on the air about the placement of the wings. What was said that didn't make it on air about the actual setup?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Fashionable serial killer villains and Clive Barker. Better than a painting theme.

Freddy Kruger, silent and unintelligent killer. I don't think so...

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

KungFu Grip posted:

Freddy Kruger, silent and unintelligent killer. I don't think so...

I rolled my eyes at that too. Now, he wasn't as dignified or regal as say Pinhead and he wasn't exactly eloquent, but he was NEVER quiet.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I can't be the only person who finds Kelly Harris completely loving insufferable, can I?

:wrongful:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was a bit surprised at the winner they picked. Maybe it didn't come across well on TV, but the white face painting didn't really work for me.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

smackfu posted:

I was a bit surprised at the winner they picked. Maybe it didn't come across well on TV, but the white face painting didn't really work for me.

The sculpt was pretty cool. Also, the mouth-on-head character turned out a lot better than the concept implied it would.

Also, I like Emily. She seems pretty talented and able to roll with the situation where her design is literally falling apart. Definitely a front runner.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Also, I like Emily. She seems pretty talented and able to roll with the situation where her design is literally falling apart. Definitely a front runner.

And she's only loving 18. If she keeps on this trajectory, she's going to have a fantastic career. She seems like the least crazy one on the show. (Well Logan seems pretty together, too but he spent a while in the military)

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

smackfu posted:

Yeah, it read more alien to me. It wasn't a bad make-up, but I would've bet on Kelly since hers was definitely horror.

sean10mm posted:

I can't be the only person who finds Kelly Harris completely loving insufferable, can I?

You're not. She's annoying as gently caress.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Ariza posted:

And she's only loving 18. If she keeps on this trajectory, she's going to have a fantastic career. She seems like the least crazy one on the show. (Well Logan seems pretty together, too but he spent a while in the military)

Yeah I like Logan as well. In his initial introduction when he said he'd only been doing this for a few months I assumed he'd be terrible but it's really rocking it. I like seeing people rise to the occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sean10mm posted:

Her mannerisms are so annoying but I really like her work so I try to ignore that. I hope she sticks around until the final.

I feel the opposite way about Ben - he's done some great work but he's so goddamn creepy I hope he fucks up and gets kicked out.

• Locked thread