Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Microwave marshmallow peep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
drat, was Ben's so ugly.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Next weeks is probably the most awesome challenge in awhile and I wonder why they never revisited this kind since season 1.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I feel like hardly any of those were "beauty makeups" but whatever. Ben is a weird dude.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

KungFu Grip posted:

Next weeks is probably the most awesome challenge in awhile and I wonder why they never revisited this kind since season 1.

My DVR cut off before the preview of next week, what's the challenge?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

lifts cats over head posted:

My DVR cut off before the preview of next week, what's the challenge?

Just in case anyone still wants to be surprised.

Super Selfies
Tuesday 9/8c: The artists shape their own superhero or villain alter-egos ... using themselves as models! Guest Judge: Todd McFarlane (Spawn).

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Next week's challenge sounds kind of interesting, but this season is just so blah. Just give it to Emily so they can all go home.

Tamizander Rey
Jul 14, 2004
Gentlemen! Chop off my head with such velocity, that the blood gushing from my neck propels my lifeless body all the way to Phoenix!
I REALLY don't see the use of the returning champions as judges. It seems shoe-horned in.
Just keep Michael Westmore coming in and allow them to make their own mistakes.
Seeing the champions actually touching the sculpts seems unfair.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Tamizander Rey posted:

Seeing the champions actually touching the sculpts seems unfair.

That does seem a little weird sometimes and makes me wonder what we're not seeing in those exchanges. I hope the really young girl doesn't mess up a simple challenge because she's been the most consistent and level headed this entire season. Too bad they got rid of the save this season, though they probably would've passed it out to someone awful already. That terrible guy that they shoehorned in on the body painting challenge was the worst though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tamizander Rey posted:

I REALLY don't see the use of the returning champions as judges. It seems shoe-horned in.

I seriously predict that whoever wins the season finale, there will be more emphasis on the returning champion/coach "winning."

Like, it will be, "congratulations so-and-so, you've won Face Off!" *woo-hoo*

"AND CONGRATULATIONS TO REECE/LAURA/ANTHONY YOU ARE THE TRUE RETURNING CHAMPION OF FACE OFF, HOLY poo poo!!!" *confetti drops from the air, pyrotechnics go off, and everyone mobs around them to shake their hand*

It's not a contest between the contestants, it's a contest between the coaches to see who can get the most out of this dumpster fire.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Tamizander Rey posted:

I agree. Their advice doesn't seem too helpful, like it would make or break an elimination. I do like seeing Face Off alumni though, I'd just prefer to see them compete.

Another thing that seems mediocre about the season is the cast in general. Last season had a bunch of great personalities and they even competed weekly for a twitter fan vote. I doubt this cast would be able to generate that interest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

Another thing that seems mediocre about the season is the cast in general. Last season had a bunch of great personalities and they even competed weekly for a twitter fan vote. I doubt this cast would be able to generate that interest.

I can't remember the names of most of the contestants and I've had a few "Who the gently caress is that guy???" moments where one of them appeared on screen and I genuinely struggled to recognise them at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
At least they finally eliminated the worst personality. :frogout:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wow, zero posts about the newest episode. This season sucks and this show is going to get canceled.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Eh. I just can't remember if the girl who got the boot did any good make ups. I'm sure she did, but I can't recall the majority of this season. I really liked both top looks though. Ben did a cool design that didn't reaaally fit the challenge, but was technical and executed really well, so he survived. If girl-who-was-eliminated had a better paint job and maybe another prosthetic she would have survived easy.

The challenge itself was cool, and I would like to see it in later seasons assuming the show continues. All they really need to do is cut down to less than 20 seasons per year (how many seasons do they actually do per year? 3?)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Logan crushed it. Great concept and makeup. I did laugh when Ben was concerned he might not be creepy enough. Nah man you got that covered. Swing and a miss from Emily... it's like she forgot what superheroes were. Weird. Pretty good self application though.

LabyaMynora posted:

Wow, zero posts about the newest episode. This season sucks and this show is going to get canceled.

FWIW I never watch live. Also I don't think the thread is being pinned on broadcast days (at least I haven't been PMming any one to do that). I assume by S8 everyone who's going to watch already knows about it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

FWIW I never watch live. Also I don't think the thread is being pinned on broadcast days (at least I haven't been PMming any one to do that). I assume by S8 everyone who's going to watch already knows about it.

It was pinned last night. Not trying to be a hater, but I feel like this season has been a huge nosedive and want more GOOD Face Off seasons in the future. If the lack of interest reflected in this forum is an indicator of the Face Off audience at large, however, I really worry that Syfy might bail. poo poo, they already opted not to renew the Henson show, and THAT at least had potential to grow. Face Off is stagnating and I honestly think it's due to lack of talented contestants at this point.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought that challenge was pretty great. I like that they're trying to change up the challenge format with the outdoor nude body painting and this. It definitely brought personality to some people.

Anyone else not seeing an Emily winner's edit? The narrative seems so focused on her. Even this week she was in the bottom looks but her makeup looked amazing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like that they are doing some different challenges this season, it was an interesting idea to have the put the makeup on themselves.
I just think that many of them forgot that they were doing superheroes, Ben's piece looked good, but was like something from a horror movie.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oasx posted:

I like that they are doing some different challenges this season, it was an interesting idea to have the put the makeup on themselves.
I just think that many of them forgot that they were doing superheroes, Ben's piece looked good, but was like something from a horror movie.

I could see Ben's as a 90's Todd McFarlene character if he lost the helmet piece, and switched to just a removable mask.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Usually the ones where they have to work with kids make for my favorite challenges. But drat this one looks hilariously frustrating

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Didn't really like Ben, so no tears shed.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Mister Kingdom posted:

Didn't really like Ben, so no tears shed.

I didn't care for his personality, but he is pretty talented. His obstinace could hurt him a bit if he goes to get a real job in movies though. Too bad about Anthony leaving.

I'm hoping either Logan or...red hair guy...win this season. They both seem to be really good at concepts and execution.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazing how terrible good sculpts look with a bad paint job.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I came to like Ben towards the end, he was clearly talented. But that has got to be the worst creation i have ever seen on the show. On the other hand i liked the zombie.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Oasx posted:

I came to like Ben towards the end, he was clearly talented. But that has got to be the worst creation i have ever seen on the show. On the other hand i liked the zombie.

I'm with you, I actually liked the zombie. I could easily see that character dancing on the cover of a Trapper Keeper or something. Yes I realize they probably don't still have those.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I liked the zombie as well. I thought that hideous purple bunny was going to get Emily (I think? I don't know anyone's name this season) sent home for sure. I just could not understand the judges this week with their praise for that one during the closer looks and hatred of the zombie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That was a kid friendly zombie which was what was wanted. I could see that as an action figure so easily.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

To be fair, it looked like a dinosaur zombie. He should have said that's what it was.

My kids picked the winner! They loved that monster. :D (They aren't going to watch next week's :gonk:)

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Neville had a pretty good line during judging... "You need to be more mindful of the physical parameters of plastic being stretched by a demonic entity." I wonder where one is supposed to find references for this?

I also realized while watching my favorite person on the show isn't any of the contestants, but rather the blond model Megan.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Doll challenge, very cool. Interesting that Darla's porcelain doll won.. reminds me of Sasha's version last season. However I think Sasha's paint job was better. Darla's still looked like paint on a model.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
As stupid as the line was, Nevill wasn't wrong. He went so far away from the challenge that it didn't work. He has cool concepts, but ignoring his coach bit him in the rear end so hard. More of the baby head, the giant evil arm could have been a mutated doll arm, better paint, and it may have worked. As it was, it just didn't work. It looked neat, but it didn't read well.

Darla and Sasha were definitely the best. Was pulling for Sasha since something about Darla's seemed off.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I loved the eldritch baby though I understand why it didn't fit the concept.

The best doll this season was totally the 50s housewife automaton. It's probably my favourite makeup this season.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!
Although Darla's porcelain doll was well executed, it's a look we've seen several times before. I thought the rag doll should have taken top spot this week based on both the original design and the execution.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Darla's porcelain doll was very well made, but i thought the rag doll was just a notch above that, especially since we have seen porcelain dolls before that were better.

I can understand how Ben got in over his head last week, but i don't understand how someone like Adam, who has made it so far, ignored the warning signs about the fact that he seemed to be missing the point of the challenge. It just seemed like such a dumb thing to do.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Repo Man posted:

As stupid as the line was, Nevill wasn't wrong. He went so far away from the challenge that it didn't work. He has cool concepts, but ignoring his coach bit him in the rear end so hard. More of the baby head, the giant evil arm could have been a mutated doll arm, better paint, and it may have worked. As it was, it just didn't work. It looked neat, but it didn't read well.

Darla and Sasha were definitely the best. Was pulling for Sasha since something about Darla's seemed off.

Yeah, it ended up looking like a Necromorph from Dead Space more than a doll. If it was a Necromorph challenge it'd probably have been in upper looks, even.

What sucks is I loved his concept on paper, and I think the mistake was not leaving more of the doll head intact to give that "breaking through" vibe. If he painted the head a little more doll like and shrunk the stuff crashing through, it would have been awesome. Sucks to lose one of the best people in the competition over something like that, though.

Also I think the ragdoll should have won. It was way, way less of a retread and honestly far cooler.

Captain Equinox posted:

Although Darla's porcelain doll was well executed, it's a look we've seen several times before. I thought the rag doll should have taken top spot this week based on both the original design and the execution.

Infinitely agreed.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 2, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Owl posted:

I also realized while watching my favorite person on the show isn't any of the contestants, but rather the blond model Megan.

She's had a bunch of small roles all over the place including shows like Wilfred, True Blood and Mad Men if you want to see more of her work.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3163113/

She quite often posts fun photos on her Twitter as well:
https://twitter.com/meggiejean13

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Demon baby doll could have been great but the execution was pure poo poo. It was just a black blob with no detail in the sculpture or paint job. Top half good looking doll baby/ bottom half :cthulhu: done with some actual good craftsmanship would have been fine for the challenge.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Tonight's challenge sounds like absolute garbage. The theme just screams scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

KungFu Grip posted:

Tonight's challenge sounds like absolute garbage. The theme just screams scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Glenn has probably been pushing for this for a while. In a surprise twist, he will send everyone home for not knowing how to do a steam punk design. Last set of episodes is the judges doing make ups like last season.

• Locked thread